ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Wavey

Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by Wavey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:20 am

Good Morning,

Apologies if this is in the wrong area it's all I could see..

I have (yesterday) sent off all my supporting evidence and application, fees etc. to the Irish Embassy in London to apply for Irish Citizenship and get myself placed on the FBR.

I am a british citizen who currently holds no passport as mine expired in 2015 but I have a holiday booked in March 2017. I know it's a long shot due to Brexit but I was hoping to just apply for an Irish passport and not have to apply for a British passport (two would seem rather pointless)
Does anyone know roughly how long it is taking the Embassy in London to process and return applications? or if anyone has applied and has any information could you let me know?

Thank you so much in advance.

W.

Wavey

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by Wavey » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:55 pm

To answer myself;

I have received an email from the consulate in London today and they have stated a 6 month lead time to be added to the Foreign Birth Register.

Thought I'd add to let people in my situation know.

W.

curleymc
Newly Registered

Post by curleymc » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:39 pm

I mailed my application to Dublin from Boston on July 11th and my credit card was charged today, Sept 6th. Hope that helps!

Wilma1
Newly Registered

Post by Wilma1 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:09 am

Hi,
Has your application been processed yet? Wondering how long they are taking at the moment. We applied in September and received the same 6 months or more email.
Many thanks.

WALSHCASTRO
Newly Registered

Post by WALSHCASTRO » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi,
I applied for my son's citizenship and i took only about 4 to 5 weeks since i sent the documents till i got the passport. (I sent the documents to the Irish embassy in Mexico, they sent them to dublin and from Dublin they posted the passport to Mexico and they posted to Colombia) So, counting all that time sending documents to one country to other and the long distances in between, it was very fast.

Wilma1
Newly Registered

Post by Wilma1 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Thanks. It would appear that going via London takes longer!

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:31 pm

Wilma1 wrote:Hi,
Has your application been processed yet? Wondering how long they are taking at the moment. We applied in September and received the same 6 months or more email.
Many thanks.
What date in September, out of interest?

I have had no update apart from when I emailed the embassy asking for an update they said they had 'received' and were 'processing' my application, but did they they did not have a tracking system and couldn't tell me how far my application was..

Either they do have a tracking system or they haven't started processing my application because I'm unsure how they could tell me the above!

Wilma1
Newly Registered

Post by Wilma1 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi Wavey,
It was around the 4th September. I contacted them and they confirmed receipt. They said the application was being processed but could not be tracked. They advised that it could be 6 months or more depending on the application. I gather its just wait until its processed. Good luck with yours.

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:55 am

Wilma1 wrote:Hi Wavey,
It was around the 4th September. I contacted them and they confirmed receipt. They said the application was being processed but could not be tracked. They advised that it could be 6 months or more depending on the application. I gather its just wait until its processed. Good luck with yours.
Thanks for the information, so I sent mine off nearly 3 weeks before you.

Would you like to keep in contact via here if I receive any updates and vice-versa?

W

Wilma1
Newly Registered

Post by Wilma1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:42 am

Hi Wavey,

Yes, that would be useful. Our application is pretty straightforward (in my view) – through grandparent, still alive and living in Ireland. Based on submission dates, and assuming no errors, we should be processed within a month of each other.

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:04 pm

Wilma1 wrote:Hi Wavey,

Yes, that would be useful. Our application is pretty straightforward (in my view) – through grandparent, still alive and living in Ireland. Based on submission dates, and assuming no errors, we should be processed within a month of each other.
Evening Wilma

Thanks for that.

My Grandmother was born in Dublin and (unfortunately) died in England a few years back. I had purchased copies of every certificate required (from GRO and Eire health?) apart from my own birth certificate which is the original when I was born

narrowback
Newly Registered

Post by narrowback » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:39 pm

I mailed my application to Dublin from Los Angeles in July 2016 and I haven't heard anything. My credit card not been charged. Is there a way to contact the embassy in Dublin to find out if they even received it? Do you guys have a contact number or email?

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:04 am

narrowback wrote:I mailed my application to Dublin from Los Angeles in July 2016 and I haven't heard anything. My credit card not been charged. Is there a way to contact the embassy in Dublin to find out if they even received it? Do you guys have a contact number or email?
Good Morning Narrowback,

We haven't sent ours to the Embassy in Dublin so it will be a different wait time, we have sent ours to the Embassy in London.

They don't always give a straight answer but you should find their email on the dfa.ie website if you look for the dublin FBR page.

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:20 am

FYI Wilma,

I have contacted the Post Office today regarding my postal order as to whether it has been cashed or not and they have confirmed it still has not been cashed, so we may be a ways off from the FBR document.

W

Wilma1
Newly Registered

Post by Wilma1 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:51 am

Hi Wavey,
Thanks for the update, I'll check mine and let you know.

Wilma1
Newly Registered

Post by Wilma1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:28 pm

Hi Wavey,
I have checked and my bankers draft has not been cashed. They are only valid for 6 months, so hopefully the application will be processed before it expires!

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:25 pm

Wilma,

Worryingly postal orders only have a 6 month life also, It is still a ways away yet in date terms but I think I will definitely be putting feelers out to the Irish Embassy at around 4.5 months, or just after Christmas.

Would be extremely frustrating to have to organise a different payment, even more annoyingly the DFA now accept card payments online for the FBR!

W

smurphin
Newly Registered

Post by smurphin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi Wavey & Wilma1 I'm in pretty much the same situation as you guys, my docs were received by the Embassy on 1st September, but no word yet. Foolishley I can't find the receipt for the postal order to check if it's been cashed, maybe they didn't even give me one, I don't remember receiving one anyway and it's not with my tracking receipt for the delivery of the rest of the documents.

Can I just ask what email address you guys used to contact the embassy? I tried contacting them to ask for an update but didn't receive a response, I'm now about to move house and wanted to update them with my new address (I have a post redirection so should still find it's way back to me)

Did you receive any of your documents (birth/death/marriage certificates) back yet?

I'll let you know if I receive anything.

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:43 am

Hello Smurphin,

Glad you could join us,

I used the standard contact form on the dfa.ie website to contact them and they got back to me roughly 3 days later.

I am unsure what you could do about the postal order situation, but I would expect if mine nor Wilma's has been cashed I would expect yours has not either, to add to this I have not received any documents back.

W.

jell
Newly Registered

Post by jell » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:20 pm

Hello, I thought it might be useful to let you know I applied for Irish Citizenship via FBR through the London Embassy on 8th August and have received my certificate today, 17th November, a turnaround time of about 14 weeks. Hope this helps.

h0b0
Newly Registered

Post by h0b0 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:42 pm

I applied for Irish Citizenship via FBR through the London Embassy on the 18th July 2016 and similarly received my certificate on the 16th November. A turn around time of 17 weeks. Assuming they process applications in order then perhaps they are batching up outbound post.

smurphin
Newly Registered

Post by smurphin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:22 pm

That's great jell & h0b0, so I guess Wavey's should be sent some time soon and hopefully I'll have mine before christmas. Thanks for letting us know.

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:14 am

jell wrote:Hello, I thought it might be useful to let you know I applied for Irish Citizenship via FBR through the London Embassy on 8th August and have received my certificate today, 17th November, a turnaround time of about 14 weeks. Hope this helps.
h0b0 wrote:I applied for Irish Citizenship via FBR through the London Embassy on the 18th July 2016 and similarly received my certificate on the 16th November. A turn around time of 17 weeks. Assuming they process applications in order then perhaps they are batching up outbound post.
Thanks for both the above information, that is definitely excellent news.

May I ask if you sent a self addressed envelope for the embassy to return your documents/certficates to you and did you receive both documents + certificate at the same time, or were your documents returned first?

Was it sent recorded/tracked?
smurphin wrote:That's great jell & h0b0, so I guess Wavey's should be sent some time soon and hopefully I'll have mine before christmas. Thanks for letting us know.
I agree, exciting times, I was hopeful for after Christmas but this would be excellent.

h0b0
Newly Registered

Post by h0b0 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:26 am

I included a return envelope with a prepaid royal mail special delivery postage label attached. They sent back my documents, the fbr certificate and a cover letter all together. The certificate and cover letter were two a4 sheets so didn't add much in terms of weight or volume. The application form was retained.

h0b0
Newly Registered

Post by h0b0 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:49 am

The procedure has changed since I applied as now the fees include a postage and handling charge.