ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Refused - paragraph 322 (5)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

goli14
Newly Registered

ILR Refused - paragraph 322 (5)

Post by goli14 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:30 am

All,

I applied for ILR set (o) in feb 2016.Received letter from HO today confirming my ILR has been refused. Following is a brief summary of case and reason for refusal. Any suggestion will much appreciated.

I have been residing in UK since October 2006. Currently i live with my wife (dependent) and two children (both born in UK). Our current leave to remain has expired in April.
I also mortgaged a house 2 years ago.

In my initial Tier 1 (G)application I claimed earnings in the region of £35K. this was made up of 3 sources.
1. employment (approx 11K)
2. self employment from Source A (Approx £20K)
3. Self employment from source B (approx £4.5K)
The tax return for that year was incorrectly submitted (earning from source A wasn't declared at all) this is because i was employed by source A in the same year and assumed they will be submitting all the earnings to HMRC without realizing i had to declare the self employment income myself. please bear in mind this was the first time i did self assessment return and stupidly i dint get any assistance.

I only realised this mistake when I received SA302s for last 5 years after submitting the application for ILR. After which I contacted HMRC to Amend my tax return from that year (yet to hear back from HMRC, it’s been 3 months).

Reason for refusal states my application was refused with reference to paragraph 322 (5). The case worker implies the mistake in tax return for year 2010-2011 was not a genuine and suggests I have been deceitful and dishonest in past therefor he can’t accept the income declared in this application as genuine hence award me zero points for earnings.

They have given me 14 days to ask for Administrative review.

Questions I have are:
Is section 322 (5) considered deception?
What is best course of action now?
How can the caseworker prove in a court of law that my failure to declare the correct amount in my tax return for year 2010-11 was not a genuine mistake?
Letter doesn’t say I have right for appeal or judicial review. Can i still go for one of these option?
They haven’t returned our passports or any other documents, will they send them later?
Does the fact that my children are born in uk help the case?

Casa

Re: ILR Refused - paragraph 322 (5)

Post by Casa » Mon May 30, 2016 7:42 am

Refusal under 322(5) see page 28 in this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _0_ext.pdf

The HO will question why even with no previous experience with self-assessment, you didn't query why you paid low tax on £11,000 employed earnings and £4,000 self-employed earnings in that year. The 'missing' £20,000 of earnings should have been evident to you.

I'll leave others better placed to advise on your options to respond to your other questions.

You may find relevant information in this thread:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 09996.html
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon May 30, 2016 10:09 am

goli14 wrote:All,

Questions I have are:
How can the caseworker prove in a court of law that my failure to declare the correct amount in my tax return for year 2010-11 was not a genuine mistake?
322(5) is a discretionary refusal:
It is undesirable to let an applicant stay because of their character, behaviour or associations
... the key thing to consider is if there is reliable evidence to support a decision that the person’s behaviour calls into question their character and/or conduct and/or their associations to the extent that it is undesirable to allow them to enter or remain in the UK.
Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _0_ext.pdf

My understanding is its assessed on balance of probabilities (not simply vague suspicions) and it will have been referred to a higher authority (senior caseworker) for such a decision.
It's too late for demanding that the caseworker proves them in a "court of law", the decision has been made until its overturned.

Your mission is now to refute that error or omission that has turned you into a persona non grata;
that's because you are responsible for your documentary evidence and material facts submitted (& must/will have signed a declaration vouching for them).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

goli14
Newly Registered

Post by goli14 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:49 am

Many thanks for your inputs..any more suggestions will be welcome.

parwaz
Newly Registered

Post by parwaz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi Goli14,

Sorry to hear about your refusal, I wish you good luck!!

Did you receive any communication from UKVI prior to the refusal, to explain anything or produce any further documentation, or call for an interview?

Also, had you mentioned about your tax amendment anywhere in your cover letter or postal application?

All the best!

aakhan17

Post by aakhan17 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:38 pm

I applied for ILR set (o) in feb 2016.Received letter from HO today confirming my ILR has been refused. Following is a brief summary of case and reason for refusal. Any suggestion will much appreciated.

I have been residing in UK since October 2006. Currently i live with my wife (dependent) and two children (both born in UK). Our current leave to remain has expired in April.

In my initial Tier 1 (G)application I claimed earnings in the region of £35K. this was made up of 3 sources.
The tax return for that year was incorrectly submitted (earning from source A wasn't declared at all) this is because i was employed by source A in the same year and assumed they will be submitting all the earnings to HMRC without realizing i had to declare the self employment income myself. please bear in mind this was the first time i did self assessment return and stupidly i dint get any assistance.

I only realised this mistake when I received SA302s for last 5 years after submitting the application for ILR. After which I contacted HMRC to Amend my tax return from that year (yet to hear back from HMRC, it’s been 3 months).

Reason for refusal states my application was refused with reference to paragraph 322 (5). The case worker implies the mistake in tax return for year 2010-2011 was not a genuine and suggests I have been deceitful and dishonest in past therefor he can’t accept the income declared in this application as genuine hence award me zero points for earnings.

Questions I have are:
Letter doesn’t say I have right for appeal or judicial review. Can i still go for one of these option?
They haven’t returned our passports or any other documents, will they send them later?

was that the postal application or you went to Window ??

kittu09
Newly Registered

Post by kittu09 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:25 am

please call the HMRC Compliance team on 03000582415 and get your taxes amended

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:30 am

kittu09 wrote:please call the HMRC Compliance team on 03000582415 and get your taxes amended
If you read through the thread carefully, you will see that the OP's case has gone far beyond 'amending taxes'.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

aakhan17

Post by aakhan17 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:29 am

@ goli14, did you go to PEO or postal ??

f317633

Post by f317633 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:39 am

Questions I have are:
Hi Goli14,

Sorry to hear about your refusal. Can you confirm if u sent the SA302s with your postal application? Did they not asked to come for the interview before rejecting the application?

Scotkaz

Post by Scotkaz » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:08 pm

Goli14

Please keep us updated
goli14 wrote:Many thanks for your inputs..any more suggestions will be welcome.

sasamthegreat
Newly Registered

Post by sasamthegreat » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:38 pm

Has there been any development in this case.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:43 pm

sasamthegreat wrote:Has there been any development in this case.
goli14 only posted twice and hasn't been active on the forum since May 31st, only four days after joining and has ignored all questions posted by other members. :|
(Casa, not CR001)

goli14
Newly Registered

Post by goli14 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:18 pm

Guys...Sorry to have disappeared..been busy..just an update I applied for an AR thankfully they removed the allegatin of deception from but still refused my visa suggesting they were not sure about my earnings. I have since applied for a second AR..waiting for a response

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:26 am

goli14 wrote:Guys...Sorry to have disappeared..been busy..just an update I applied for an AR thankfully they removed the allegatin of deception from but still refused my visa suggesting they were not sure about my earnings. I have since applied for a second AR..waiting for a response
Thanks for responding.
(Casa, not CR001)

jan39

Post by jan39 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:08 pm

goli14 wrote:Guys...Sorry to have disappeared..been busy..just an update I applied for an AR thankfully they removed the allegatin of deception from but still refused my visa suggesting they were not sure about my earnings. I have since applied for a second AR..waiting for a response
Can you share please you applied by post?
Did you declare the amendment to HO?