ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for citizenship: 1 year's continuous residence

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Application for citizenship: 1 year's continuous residence

Post by chaoclive » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Hi there

I am just asking a quick question about the requirements for a citizenship application to be made. It says: "You must have had a period of 1 year's continuous reckonable residence in the island of Ireland immediately before the date of your application".

I'm curious if holidays outside the island of Ireland would affect this? E.g. short trips to Spain/USA for a couple of weeks; say spending 4 weeks in total in the year just before applying for citizenship outside Ireland.

Cheers
CC

gb1985

Re: Application for citizenship: 1 year's continuous residen

Post by gb1985 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:23 pm

short trips and holidays do not count as break in continuous residence

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:07 pm

gb1985 wrote:short trips and holidays do not count as break in continuous residence
Super; this is what I thought; just wanted to make sure :)
Tx

okdokie

Post by okdokie » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:22 am

1 year residence is in terms of your garda stam. Holidays does not make any difference. But you should not have any gap in between your garda stamps.

mayflower805
Ireland

Post by mayflower805 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi ,just wondering if I renew my stamp 4 just 2 weeks before it expires would I break continuous residency requirement for naturalisation application.? Thanks

iamanalien

Post by iamanalien » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:50 pm

mayflower805 wrote:Hi ,just wondering if I renew my stamp 4 just 2 weeks before it expires would I break continuous residency requirement for naturalisation application.? Thanks
Discontinuities are unavoidable due to delays with correspondence from INIS and processing at GNIB. Keep a log of the dates and note this in your cover letter.

As long as it is not due to your own negligence it should be fine.

mayflower805
Ireland

Post by mayflower805 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:55 pm

iamanalien wrote:
mayflower805 wrote:Hi ,just wondering if I renew my stamp 4 just 2 weeks before it expires would I break continuous residency requirement for naturalisation application.? Thanks
Discontinuities are unavoidable due to delays with correspondence from INIS and processing at GNIB. Keep a log of the dates and note this in your cover letter.

My renewal is kinda auto renewal , I don't have apply for extension . I was advised to walk in with the letter and my Irish child for renewal. Do I need to wait to get gnib card ?

iamanalien

Post by iamanalien » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:20 pm

mayflower805 wrote:
iamanalien wrote:

My renewal is kinda auto renewal , I don't have apply for extension . I was advised to walk in with the letter and my Irish child for renewal. Do I need to wait to get gnib card ?
You could get it on the same day in Dublin.
Elsewhere you normally have to wait up to 2 weeks as they only print them centrally, in Dublin.
Make sure you take your residence card and passport too.

mayflower805
Ireland

Post by mayflower805 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:51 am

Thank You :)