ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Accommodation in a non-declared rented flat

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

I4505
Newly Registered

Accommodation in a non-declared rented flat

Post by I4505 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi,

I am a PhD student who's considering bringing in his partner to the UK. I am currently renting a room in a host family house. I have been told lately that "nobody knows that I'm here" by the landlord, meaning that I'm not declared. But when I asked him if he is willing to help me to accommodate and invite my partner to his house he responded positively.

My question - does an invitation letter (a letter from the landlord stating that she is welcome and has place in the house with me) sufficient in Tier 4 dependant visa application ? if not, what document do I need ?

Thanks.

Casa

Re: Accommodation in a non-declared rented flat

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:07 pm

Yes, a letter agreeing to your wife living in the accommodation is required, but the comment that 'no one knows you are there' raises concern.

Are you sure the landlord isn't actually a tenant, possible of a local authority (Council) property? If so, HO checks may well uncover that he isn't the legal landlord and is sub-letting.

You need to delve more into the reasoning behind his reluctance to be open about you living in the household.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:31 pm

I4505 wrote:does an invitation letter (a letter from the landlord stating that she is welcome and has place in the house with me) sufficient in Tier 4 dependant visa application ? if not, what document do I need?
No evidence of housing is required. Where are you getting the idea that she needs to provide this evidence?
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:37 pm

It appears then that the HO aren't bothered whether student dependants live in adequate accommodation. It may be wise however for your own peace of mind to check that your landlord isn't illegally sub-letting Council property.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

I4505
Newly Registered

Post by I4505 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:15 pm

Casa wrote:It appears then that the HO aren't bothered whether student dependants live in adequate accommodation. It may be wise however for your own peace of mind to check that your landlord isn't illegally sub-letting Council property.
I am sure that the house is his property and he is not illegally sub-letting council property. I started living with this family via a school that sent me there, which verifies the houses and all their documents before including them in their databases. When I finished my course with this school, I decided to continue renting with them.

He told me that nobody knows I am there when I gave him the tax exemption document. So my first thoughts (maybe I'm wrong, I don't fully understand the uk system) were that he is avoiding taxes by not declaring me.
Casa wrote: No evidence of housing is required. Where are you getting the idea that she needs to provide this evidence?
From the website (https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk), there is a textfield where they ask where we are going to live. I thought also the more evidence I provide the more chances I would have to get a positive response.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:35 pm

I4505 wrote:From the website (https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk), there is a textfield where they ask where we are going to live.
That's just so they have a UK address where they can contact the applicant later, if necessary. It is not any kind of assessment or check of the applicant's housing.
I4505 wrote: I thought also the more evidence I provide the more chances I would have to get a positive response.
Absolutely not! Garlanding an application with unnecessary documents is a terrible idea. It can slow down the process, and can in itself trigger a refusal if, for example, an irrelevant document is suspected to be not genuine. Throwing everything but the Spam sink at an application just makes it look like the applicant doesn't really understand the eligibility for the visa. Keep it simple, just send what is asked for.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

I4505
Newly Registered

Post by I4505 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:37 pm

sah10406 wrote:That's just so they have a UK address where they can contact the applicant later, if necessary. It is not any kind of assessment or check of the applicant's housing.
Thanks.