ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NTL vs ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Abmong
Newly Registered

NTL vs ILR

Post by Abmong » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:42 am

Hi Guys,

I'm confused :? . I was granted settlement/ILR about 10 years ago and I've been lazy in not applying for citizenship altogether :lol: . I found out that with the change in law I now need a BRP to apply for a new job as the ILR stamp in an old expired passport is no longer valid as proof of "right to work"

All well and good... I applied and have received my BRP but I noticed that on my card it says "settlement" under "Type of permit" and "No time limit" under "Remarks". I was looking at the BRP sample pictures on the web and they all seem to have "Indefinite leave to remain" under "Remarks" for settlement type permits. I'm just wondering why my card just says "No time limit" instead :shock: and if this carries different legal status from "Indefinite leave to remain"... My card also has no remarks concerning work entitlements. (remarks on the back of the card is blank).

Am I correct in assuming I have full rights to work as before and the "No time limit" is the same as ILR? I'm worried :oops: about the "No time limit" remark not being the same as an ILR remark... and that it may affect the status of my settlement entitlement if I leave the UK for an extended period as I plan to go back home for a few months, maybe even work there for a year or so before returning to the UK.

Any help in clarifying this would be much appropriated.

Regards

peppekalle

Re: NTL vs ILR

Post by peppekalle » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:10 am

Your status is the same nothing has changed https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa

Abmong
Newly Registered

Post by Abmong » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:22 am

Thx dude :D donno why they felt the need to use different wordings for essentially the same thing... :roll: just confuses people (confused me at least :P ).

Only explanation I can think of is ILR are for people applying/accepted for the first time for settlement and NTL is for extension/transfer of the ILR. I personally think it's over complication for no good reason :lol:

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:28 pm

ILR initially confers the settled status.
NTL confirms existing settled status.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.