ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expiring Student Visa (Re-entry as visitor)

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

neilson90
Newly Registered

Expiring Student Visa (Re-entry as visitor)

Post by neilson90 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi, I'm currently holding a student visa, which expires on 31 August. Can I leave UK to other European countries nearby before student visa expired and re-enter after the expiry date to get the 6 months visitor visa? I'm in the non-visa national categories. I understand that the immigration officer might ask a lot of question when I re-enter the UK border. What if I have the return ticket back to my countries and a bank statement showing sufficient money? Any consequences or risk?

njoy1987
Member of Standing

Re: Expiring Student Visa (Re-entry as visitor)

Post by njoy1987 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:01 pm

neilson90 wrote:Hi, I'm currently holding a student visa, which expires on 31 August. Can I leave UK to other European countries nearby before student visa expired and re-enter after the expiry date to get the 6 months visitor visa? I'm in the non-visa national categories. I understand that the immigration officer might ask a lot of question when I re-enter the UK border. What if I have the return ticket back to my countries and a bank statement showing sufficient money? Any consequences or risk?
Not sure how u will apply for a visitor visa from abroad and on what grounds? I guess it you were to go back to your home country and apply for entry clearance from there if you meet all the requirements and your able to convince the ECO that your trip to Britain is for a genuine reason you will be granted entry.

You were already on a student visa so be prepared to answer some questions both whilst applying for EC and at the UK Border

neilson90
Newly Registered

Post by neilson90 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:17 pm

I'm a non-visa national, which means i don't have to apply for a visitor visa beforehand. I'm just worried that I'm not allow to re-enter to UK and be deported.

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:02 pm

neilson90 wrote:Hi, I'm currently holding a student visa, which expires on 31 August. Can I leave UK to other European countries nearby before student visa expired and re-enter after the expiry date to get the 6 months visitor visa? I'm in the non-visa national categories. I understand that the immigration officer might ask a lot of question when I re-enter the UK border. What if I have the return ticket back to my countries and a bank statement showing sufficient money? Any consequences or risk?
It's completely suspecious for any immigration officer and will may cause you problems. You must have a valid reason to re-enter as visitor. (And reason must not be that you will continue your existing job/work which you were doing on student visa and just want to get back into UK immediately to continue that job before it go to somebody else.)
Last edited by Deviser on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neilson90
Newly Registered

Post by neilson90 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:09 pm

Deviser wrote:
It's completely suspecious for any immigration offier and will may cause you problems. You must have a valid reason to re-enter as visitor. (And reason must not be that you will continue your existing job/work which you were doing on student visa and just want to get back into UK immediately to continue that job before it go to somebody else.)
My reason to re-enter as visitor is just to visit around UK for the last time before i leave. and if i have a return ticket on september to show them I have no intend to stay at UK for longer period? Will it be better?

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:19 pm

neilson90 wrote:My reason to re-enter as visitor is just to visit around UK for the last time before i leave. and if i have a return ticket on september to show them I have no intend to stay at UK for longer period? Will it be better?
If this is the reason, I think you should purchase some events/places tickets to show them that you gonna visit around UK. It will be good if you show them with your September return ticket and I hope everything will be fine with this.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:31 pm

Even you are a non-visa national but still as a visitor will have to return from your home country. On return you will have to satisfy that you will not/are doing any job/business in UK and will return to home after short visit. Possession of funds in back home/employment/business can be helpful.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

neilson90
Newly Registered

Post by neilson90 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:45 pm

sheraz7 wrote:Even you are a non-visa national but still as a visitor will have to return from your home country. On return you will have to satisfy that you will not/are doing any job/business in UK and will return to home after short visit. Possession of funds in back home/employment/business can be helpful.
What do you mean by "Even you are a non-visa national but still as a visitor will have to return from your home country."?

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:58 pm

For entering as visitor to UK you need to go back your home country and then return back to UK. This cannot be done just simply visit the neighbouring country and trying to enter as visitor.
REGARDS

neilson90
Newly Registered

Post by neilson90 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:20 pm

sheraz7 wrote:For entering as visitor to UK you need to go back your home country and then return back to UK. This cannot be done just simply visit the neighbouring country and trying to enter as visitor.
Are there any rules stated that for people who entering as visitor need to come from home country? For example, if i'm a tourist who traveled from home country to Paris first, then from Paris to UK? I dont think I have to go back home before visiting UK after Paris? Please advise... I'm confused

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:45 pm

As per your above example it is possible because at least you return back home and then travel to paris and then UK.
REGARDS

neilson90
Newly Registered

Post by neilson90 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:09 pm

sheraz7 wrote:As per your above example it is possible because at least you return back home and then travel to paris and then UK.
Are there any rules stated that people have to return back to home country before re-enter as visitor?

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:18 pm

The only difference between visa national visitor and non-visa national is that the non-visa national visitor donot need visa from back home but all other conditions are same. Since student visa is non-convertible to visitor within the country rather from home country. Therefore, returning to home country is must.
REGARDS

mehhzee
Newly Registered

Post by mehhzee » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:25 am

Hi i'm currently in the same situation and would like to know if you had any issues re-entering?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:31 am

Member in question has not visited the Board for over 3 years (let alone whether s/he has visited country).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:56 am

mehhzee wrote:Hi i'm currently in the same situation and would like to know if you had any issues re-entering?
if you are a genuine visitor, and you can prove it if you need to, that's fine.

If you are not a visitor, for example you are coming for work, studies or another reason, you will need to apply for entry clearance in the right category before travelling to the UK.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

mehhzee
Newly Registered

Post by mehhzee » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:11 pm

sah10406 wrote:
mehhzee wrote:Hi i'm currently in the same situation and would like to know if you had any issues re-entering?
if you are a genuine visitor, and you can prove it if you need to, that's fine.

If you are not a visitor, for example you are coming for work, studies or another reason, you will need to apply for entry clearance in the right category before travelling to the UK.
Thank you for the reply, my situation is exactly the same as neilson90. I just wanted to travel around europe first and have some extra time packing before going home. I'm going to buy my one way ticket back home as proof I don't plan to stay for long but just wanted to confirm that with a plane ticket home they would not/makes no sense to reject my re-entry to the UK.