ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation form Questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Condor82

Naturalisation form Questions

Post by Condor82 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:08 am

Hi guys,

In section 1.3: Please say when you were given indefinite leave to enter/remain in the UK

I have written 12 September 2016 because that is the date written on my Permanent Residence Card and on the letter received in my mail, that states: You now have a right of permanent residence in the United Kingdom.

'Considering that I'm Italian and I moved to the U.K. in June 2009, can I apply immediately for British Citizenship or do I need to wait another year from 12 September 2016?

- Also: Do I need to fill section 2.4 with the card number and date of issue or I can skip that part?

Many thanks

noajthan

Re: Section 1.3 and 2.4 - Naturalisation form

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:57 am

If you started in 2009 you may have acquired PR in 2014 so no need to wait another year even for a 6(1) application.

:!: Be careful, you are referring to date of issue of your PR card; that's probably not the date you acquired the holy grail of PR - which could have been years earlier.

As you have PR not ILR, suggest skip 1.3
Yes, do fill in 2.4 - as that 's for EEA people :!:

Explain anything else that's relevant in additional info section of form.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Condor82

Re: British citizenship -retain worker status in treaty righ

Post by Condor82 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:01 pm

I received my Permanent Residence Card dated 12 September 2016 and also a letter with the same date that states: You now have a right of permanent residence in the United Kingdom.

On the AN form in section 1.3 - Please say when you were given indefinite leave to remain:

I have written 12 September 2016 because that is the date written on my Permanent Residence Card and on the letter received in my mail. Considering that I have the PR Card and I have been living in England since June 2009, can I apply immediately right?

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:05 pm

So if i have Permanent residence Card, is it not compulsory 1.3?

I don't want my application to be rejected straight away.

Please let me know and many thanks! :)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:12 pm

Condor82 wrote:So if i have Permanent residence Card, is it not compulsory 1.3?

I don't want my application to be rejected straight away.

Please let me know and many thanks! :)
Having the card is compulsory for an EEA-related application.

It only makes sense to answer Q1.3 if its relevant.
In your case Q2.4 is more relevant.

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:14 pm

Cool many thanks for your great advise! Cheers

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:15 pm

If you are married to a British Citizen you can apply straight away. If not you need to do a Subject Access Request (search this board) to find out what PR date the Home Office hold on you. Sometimes this matches when you think you attained PR, sometimes they pick an arbitrary date, sometimes they get it wrong.

Since you were not exercising treaty rights for most of your stay you were lucky to get away with this but you need to confirm actual PR date before spending money on a citizenship application. They may well have started your PR clock late because of your prolonged lack of exercising treaty rights.

The ILR question doesn't strictly apply to people on the EEA route.
Last edited by Noetic on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:23 pm

Posts merged

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:24 pm

Sorry guys!

Yeah I will skip the question 1.3. If they revised my case that means I should be fine by providing the actual permanent residence card (or it will not make any sense they revised the decision and send the card in the first place). I applied for EEA PR with evidence from 2009 to Februry 2015, so I guess I should not have any problem and I can apply straight away for citizenship. Hope is correct!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:52 pm

Condor82 wrote:Sorry guys!

Yeah I will skip the question 1.3. If they revised my case that means I should be fine by providing the actual permanent residence card (or it will not make any sense they revised the decision and send the card in the first place). I applied for EEA PR with evidence from 2009 to Februry 2015, so I guess I should not have any problem and I can apply straight away for citizenship. Hope is correct!
As well as investing £10 in your SAR, suggest apply via NCS.
NCS have a hotline to HO and can check what HO CID databank has recorded about you.

Worst case, if you jump the gun and apply at wrong time, you risk only the NCS fee (not AN full fee).

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:33 pm

Noajthan thanks again fory your useful tips.

I need help on this:

I just spoke on the phone with 2 different advisors from Home Office.

What they said is that they always suggest to wait 12 months from the date I have received the actual permanent residence card, and that soon that might be (possibly) written on their website. One of them also said that the date of issue is the date everyone acquires the Permanent Residence (I guess it's BS) They could not check the records over the phone anyway.

To me honestly does not make any sense.

Another thing this guy told me is that If I had benefits it might also be a problem during the Nationalisation application.

Also this point does not make any sense to me, because if I have a permanent residence card that's a proof the I was exercising treaty rights (retained worker status)!

Can you please advice on the above and if you suggest that is better to ask of a Subject Access Request or just go through NCS (if I lose that fee I do not care). I just want to finish this nightmare soon! :)
Last edited by Condor82 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

imran1u

Post by imran1u » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:34 pm

Condor82 wrote:I received my Permanent Residence Card dated 12 September 2016 and also a letter with the same date that states: You now have a right of permanent residence in the United Kingdom.

On the AN form in section 1.3 - Please say when you were given indefinite leave to remain:

I have written 12 September 2016 because that is the date written on my Permanent Residence Card and on the letter received in my mail. Considering that I have the PR Card and I have been living in England since June 2009, can I apply immediately right?
Will it affect my application because when i applied last month i did fill section 1.3 " when did you acquire Ilr or Pr " .NCS Lady said put the date of issue in this section .
I am eea family member having document certigying permanent residece , which was issued last year .
What steps should i take to rectify this section .

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:41 pm

Condor82 wrote:Noajthan thanks again fory your useful tips.

I need help on this:

I just spoke on the phone with 2 different advisors from Home Office.

What they said is that they always suggest to wait 12 months from the date I have received the actual permanent residence card, and that soon that might be (possibly) written on their website. One of them also said that the date of issue is the date everyone acquires the Permanent Residence (I guess it's BS) They could not check the records over the phone anyway.

To me honestly does not make any sense.

Another thing this guy told me is that If I had benefits it might also be a problem during the Nationalisation application.

Also this point does not make any sense to me, because if I have a permanent residence card that's a proof the I was exercising treaty rights (retained worker status)!

Can you please advice on the above and if you suggest that is better to ask of a Subject Access Request or just go through NCS (if I lose that fee I do not care). I just want to finish this nightmare soon! :)
Suggest ignore above helpline advice. It appears completely faulty.
Economic activity and/or receipt of benefits plays no part in an application to naturalise.

SAR is £10.
NCS fee is reasonable (typically £50-£70).

It's your call; personally I'm a belt-and-braces-man.

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:27 pm

Also: I received my Grade 5 certificate from Trinity College (issued on September 1st 2015)

If in that worst case scenario I need to apply for Naturalisation after 1 year, therefore the 12th of September 2017 (Because my Permanent Residence Card was issued 12 September 2016), does that imply that I need to retake the English Test?

Does this certificate expire after 2 years when it comes to Naturalisation?

Many thanks

Condor82

Trinity college grade 5 certificate - does it expire?

Post by Condor82 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:45 am

I received my Grade 5 certificate from Trinity College (issued on September 1st 2015)

I might need to apply (not sure at the moment) for Naturalisation in 1 year, therefore the 12th of September 2017 (Because my Permanent Residence Card was issued 12 September 2016), does that imply that I need to retake the English Test?

Does this certificate expire after 2 years when it comes to Naturalisation (and if you have already a PR card)?

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Trinity college grade 5 certificate - does it expire?

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:02 am

As you have already been advised in your other topics, the date of the PR card is NOT the date you likely ATTAINED PR, which is very likely a much earlier date.

Please keep your questions on the same application in one topic.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Condor82

Re: Naturalisation form Questions

Post by Condor82 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Ok but any idea (when it comes to Naturalisation) if the Grade 5 of Trinity college expires or not if you have a valid PR card?
Many thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:06 pm

From my reading of https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications there are two scenarios for the English certificate and using it post-expiry - I believe "settlement" is not the same as the PR for EEA so this may mean you would have to re-take the test after 2 years:

If your qualification has run out
Some recognised test qualifications only last for 2 years. You can still use a B1 level qualification that you took more than 2 years ago in 2 situations.

Applying for citizenship
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.
It doesn’t matter if the B1 level test you took isn’t on the current list of recognised tests. You don’t need to take another test.

Applying to settle in the UK
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if both of the following are true:
it’s on the current list of recognised tests
it was accepted for another UK immigration application, eg when you got permission to enter
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks for the answers.

Also out of curiosity:

My PR card has an issued date (and no expiration)

Will it be valid for 10 years?

Or is the expiration date linked to the one of the document provided for the application? (In my case I applied for PR card with an Identity card)

Many thanks

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:44 am

In the booklet enclosed is written that If I change passport or travel document I have to renew the PR card as well (I applied with an Italian identity card that expires in 10 years so I guess that implies it will be valid in 10 years time, or not?)

Anyway online I cannot find if the PR card has validity for 5 years or 10 years. I will apply for naturalisation before this period anyway but just for the sake of curiosity what's the current expiration date (or validity) of the EEA PR card? (the only date on mine is the "issue date")

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Anyone? :/