ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Public Funds (Child) - Both Parents Have ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

AML2015

Public Funds (Child) - Both Parents Have ILR

Post by AML2015 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:37 am

Hello All

I believe this question might have been answered previously on this forum, but hoping someone could shed some light with links to the relevant laws and guidelines for me to read on them further.

My question is related to public funds, and what can I claim based on my situation,

1. Me and my wife both have been granted ILR on 23rd Sep 2016
2. My son who was born in the UK is now 2 years old (never traveled outside the UK since birth)
3. I have applied for my sons British registration using the MN1 route,which should take 2-3 months to process.

Based on our situation I believe I can claim,

1. Child Benefit
2. Child Tax Credit
3. Working Tax Credit

I want to ensure I am doing the right thing since we intend to apply for Naturalisation next year and want to avoid any nasty surprises from the HO with regards to our AN applications and the above benefits claim.

Hope you all could guide me.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Public Funds (Child) - Both Parents Have ILR

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:54 am

Yes to all three benefits if you qualify for them (i.e. not a high earner etc). You can claim now as you have ILR. Benefits have no effect on Citizenship applications.

Tax credits must be claimed in joint names though. Check the link below to see what you qualify for based on your circumstances (select you are British).

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AML2015

Post by AML2015 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks CR001.

This could be a daft question, but hopefully you could answer it.

The Child benefit form gives me an option to backdate my claim by up to 3 months, which if I do then it effectively crosses into the period where I did not have ILR (pre 23rd Sept 2016). Would this make a difference to any future dealings of mine with the HO ?

Thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:17 pm

Doesn't the claim form ask if you were subject to immigration control within the last 3 months? :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

AML2015

Post by AML2015 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:02 pm

Cheers, just read through the form. All answered. Thanks.