ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport for Children

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

galatie

British Passport for Children

Post by galatie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi,

I am American and my husband is Belgian. He first came to live in the UK in October 2010 and has lived and worked here continuously since. He has applied and just received his permanent residency card last month.

We are in the midst of filling out form MN1 to register our children as British. They were both born in the UK, our first child was born in October 2014, and the second was just born in August 2016.

Although my husband just received his PR card, when is he considered to have permanently settled in the UK? Is it after 5 years of living here continuously? And if so, does that mean that we do not have to fill out form MN1 for our baby who was just born? Is he automatically considered British?

Any help would be great. Thank you.

noajthan

Re: British Passport for Children

Post by noajthan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:22 pm

PR is acquired after 5 years as qualified person.
When did hubby first become a qp?

If hubby was settled before birth then yes, child #2 is British;
apply for passport.
Just register child #1.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

galatie

Post by galatie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:48 pm

Thanks, noajthan.

Is there any documentation which my husband was supposed to receive which shows when he first became a qualified person? He came over in October 2010 and was exercising his treaty rights by working - and has worked here ever since. He applied for PR this year and received the card last month.

I guess my question is, when is he considered as settled? October 2015, or Sept 2016 (when he received his PR card).

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:52 pm

galatie wrote:Thanks, noajthan.

Is there any documentation which my husband was supposed to receive which shows when he first became a qualified person? He came over in October 2010 and was exercising his treaty rights by working - and has worked here ever since. He applied for PR this year and received the card last month.

I guess my question is, when is he considered as settled?
Hubby must have shown when he began work. That's when PR clock started.
He may have acquired PR by Oct 2015.

Start here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... plications

Be careful about submitting DCPR; a poorly-trained caseworker may misinterpret date of issue of card as 'date of acquiring PR'. Doh.

galatie

Post by galatie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:22 pm

Thank you, Noajthan.

Will it be sufficient for us to send in my husband's payslips and company employment certifying his work dates for the last 5 years? I take it sending in his pr card is not a good idea.

And can we also enclose both applications for our sons in one envelope, since the supporting documentation is applicable to them both?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:31 pm

galatie wrote:Thank you, Noajthan.

Will it be sufficient for us to send in my husband's payslips and company employment certifying his work dates for the last 5 years? I take it sending in his pr card is not a good idea.

And can we also enclose both applications for our sons in one envelope, since the supporting documentation is applicable to them both?
That's a good start.
Suggest also send rest of evidence as required for a DCPR application: proof of identities, relationships and residency.

Yes, it makes sense to bundle all together.

galatie

Post by galatie » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:53 pm

Thank you!!

For my 2 year old's MN1 application, I plan to submit the below:

completed MN1 application form with 2 referees
long UK birh certficate
husband's PR card (original)
husband's passport, my passport (originals)
child's Belgian passport (original)
home office fees

Is there any document which I am missing? We are all planning to go back to the US for a few weeks over the Christmas period. Is it necessary to submit our original passports, or will a copy be sufficient? Is it also necessary for ll three of us to submit our passports? It would be difficult for me to get to an NCS center with a newborn baby, so am not sure if photocopies are ok.

Do you know what the timeline would before we get an answer, before we proceed with the passport applications?

Any clarification would be great -thank you!
Thanks!

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:53 pm

SAR may confirm when you acquired the permanent right of residence.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:58 am

galatie wrote:It would be difficult for me to get to an NCS center with a newborn baby, so am not sure if photocopies are ok.

Do you know what the timeline would before we get an answer, before we proceed with the passport applications?

Any clarification would be great -thank you!
Thanks!
Baby/child does not have to attend NCS so you could still apply via NCS and keep passports.