ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 General to ILR - Q on NARIC and university letter

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

taurean
Newly Registered

Tier 1 General to ILR - Q on NARIC and university letter

Post by taurean » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi,

I am a Tier 1 General migrant and was first awarded the Tier 1 visa in 2009. I am currently applying for ILR for self and wife (Tier 1 Dependant since 2009).

I have a Masters degree from IIT Madras and my wife has a Masters degree from Mahatma Gandhi University (Kerala). Both courses were taught in English and neither of us had to write any english language test for our Tier 1 extensions (as the points based table always accepted my degree and awarded points).

We are now applying for ILR in December 2016.

Having gone through the forms and the posts on the website I understand that at the time of ILR application , to prove knowledge of English, we would need to do the following:

1. I would need to use NARIC's Visas and Nationality service to obtain a letter from them confirming the equivalent level of my degree (£120 fees).
2. My wife would also need to use NARIC's Visas and Nationality service to obtain a letter from them confirming the equivalent level of her degree (£120 fees).

Can you please confirm if my understanding is correct? Also is it mandatory to produce a letter from our respective universities (besides the NARIC letter) confirming that the course was taught in English? (we have never had to do this in the past).

Apologies if this has already been covered in this forum - I couldn't find an equivalent post so had to write this one.

Thanks and Regards
Subbu

tier1-immigrant

Re: Tier 1 General to ILR - Q on NARIC and university letter

Post by tier1-immigrant » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:57 am

Read the English language requirement section in the application form it is clearly mentioned.
Even though you degree certificate is in english, it should be mentioned in the certificate that the course was taught in english. If not, you need to produce a letter from univesity mentioning the same.

Its a bit hassle. So instead what people are doing is taking English language tests. I am also doing the same thing.

tier1-immigrant

Re: Tier 1 General to ILR - Q on NARIC and university letter

Post by tier1-immigrant » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:41 pm

I was looking at the English Language Assessment certificate provided by NARIC

The template looks as below:

NARIC Reference Number: 3000002972 Xxx Xxx
Dear Mr XXX,
Thank you for your recent enquiry.
Further to this, I am now able to confirm the following:

In addition to this English Language Assessment you may wish to receive a UK NARIC Certificate of
English Language Assessment for the qualification named above. This is an entirely optional service
and costs £20.00 + VAT (£24.00) for each Certificate required, there is also an additional postage
charge payable, details of which can be found on our website. If you would like to make use of this
service, please write to UK NARIC at the postal address above, stating your NARIC reference
number and the name of the qualification(s) you require a Certificate for, together with the required
payment. Cheques and postal orders should be made payable to ECCTIS Ltd. If you wish to request
a Certificate by telephone, please contact us on 0871 330 7033 between 9am and 5pm Monday to
Friday with your credit card details ready to make payment.
Mr XXX XXX
House Number
Street Name
Town
District
POST CODE
Country of Qualification:
Zultania

Title of Award: Bachelor of Engineering
Awarding Institution: University of Zultania
Year of Completion:2004
Level of English: The level of English language for the above degree course is considered to meet the requirements of CEFR level C1

As you can see it certifies that the level of english language for the degree is considered to meet requirements of XYZ level.

I think that is good enough. Senrior or any one who already got this certificate confirm this is good enough??