ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residence Card Refusal with no right of appeal - any advice?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cyrixboy
Newly Registered

Residence Card Refusal with no right of appeal - any advice?

Post by cyrixboy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:12 am

Hi,

I am a British citizen my wife is Russian and she has been living in the UK with me since last September when her Spouse Visa was approved. Long story short she has family in Germany and instead of having to apply for a Schengen visa every time we visit (we visit often) we thought we would apply for a Residence Card to make things easier when travelling in the EU. We applied in February for the residence card and yesterday (24/06/15) our documents were returned with a refusal letter (attached to this post). Maybe I am missing something here but they have refused with no right of appeal on the basis that I (the British citizen) did not supply a valid passport or identity card? I did (my passport runs until 2018), they even returned it with all our other documents in the post! I find it bizarre that I have no right of appeal when I did send my current valid passport but that is the sole ground of their rejection. Can anybody offer any advice please? Any help \ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

cyrixboy
Newly Registered

Re: Residence Card Refusal with no right of appeal - any adv

Post by cyrixboy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:30 am

Sorry, it seems I am unable to upload an attachment - I can type the response in full if required but this is the first couple of line outlining the refusal:

You have applied for a residence card as a confirmation that you are a family member of 'Adam ----', a British Citizen.
On this occasion your application for a residence card has been refused on the grounds that you have not provided evidence in the form of:
* Either a valid national passport or national identify card as evidence that your family member is an EEA national as claimed.

As I mentioned in the main post, my valid passport (expiring 2018) was supplied to support my wife's application. They even posted the passport back so they must have seen it.

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:11 am

For these purposes a British passport is not classed as an EEA national passport, unless you are returning to the UK after having exercised treaty rights in another EEA state.

cyrixboy
Newly Registered

Post by cyrixboy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks for the response, on the application form it says:

Evidence of your sponsor’s identity and nationality
2.15 Are you submitting your sponsor’s valid passport or national identity card with this application?
To which I did, my passport, I also as requested supplied my UK National Insurance Number

I don't see what other document I could supply if I cannot use my British passport. I guess I will need to apply for an ID card and then re submit?

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:37 am

I think you have missed the point, generally family members of British nationals cannot use the EEA Forms/application process, so she will not be able to get a UK issued EEA Residence Card

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:51 am

British citizens are not considered as EEA nationals in the UK unless 9 is satisfied.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:42 am

From the reference to Germany and Schengen visas, it appears this is a German permit? Not a British one?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:07 am

avjones wrote:From the reference to Germany and Schengen visas, it appears this is a German permit? Not a British one?
Hi Amanda, I see why you would think that, but the refusal wordings etc all indicate a Home Office refusal (NINO question for instance in the application). I wonder what happened in the end!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:36 am

OP has not been back for 16 months, let it go.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.