ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit visa for girlfriend - questions

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

AdeV
Newly Registered

Visit visa for girlfriend - questions

Post by AdeV » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:41 pm

Hi folks,

First time posting here, so apologies if I'm asking something that's been asked before. I have done searches, but haven't seen anything that completely fits what I'm wanting to do.... so...

Long story short: In April 2016, via the wonders of internet dating, I "met" a lovely Chinese lady. We corresponded extensively from that point until the beginning of September, when I went to China to meet her. Due to the nature of my work, etc., I could only go for a few days; but, it's enough, it's "luuurve" (etc.). So I'd like to bring her to the UK where the long-term plan would be to marry & settle.

I'm a British citizen (born here to British parents), and will have no problem with the financial or accommodation requirements. She has parents & siblings in China, and works & owns a mortgaged apartment.

Obviously one cannot make plans of marriage & so on on the basis of being in each other's physical presence for just 10 days; so I'd like her to come here first, to experience the UK, learn to speak English, then - assuming all goes well, after a few months we'll progress down the road to wedded bliss. As far as I can tell, from extensive reading & research, the "best" way to achieve this is for her to come here on a visitor visa; to stay with me for however long that visit is, before returning to China. We'll either then marry in China, or apply for a Family Visitor visa with the intention of marrying here (does the Fiancee visa still exist?).

So in the meantime, this visit visa is concerning me. Specifically, we'd like to spend a few months together here, not just "a couple of weeks" (as I've seen a "visit" described in several posts). I can live with the "visit" being a month or two shorter than the visa validity, but I'd really want it to be longer than a couple of weeks... There would be no intention of breaking any rules, and she would absolutely abide by returning to China on whatever date her declared return flight would be on (chances are, I'd go with her).

So, my question would be: Given that our relationship is only a few months old (just coming up on 6, if you count the early communications), and given that we've only actually met the once, for 10 days, if she applied for (say) a 4 month visit, would that be likely to be accepted by the UKBA? Or am I whistling in the wind here?

If you've got this far, thanks for bearing with me. I'll probably have some follow-up questions, and if it's of any interest, I'll keep the board updated with how we get on.

Cheers,
Ade.

noajthan

Re: Visit visa for girlfriend - questions

Post by noajthan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:45 pm

There's no UKBA anymore.

There is no bf/gf type visa.

A visit visa as a prelude to a Fiance or Spouse visa can be tricky.
The challenge is to persuade a hard-nosed caseworker that visitor will go back as visit visas are all about demonstrating intent to return 'home'.

Note you cannot marry in UK on a visit visa.

Another option is to go to China for a while; for example you could teach English (ESOL/TEFL) or similar.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

AdeV
Newly Registered

Post by AdeV » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:58 pm

noajthan wrote:There's no UKBA anymore.
Apologies. Whatever they're called these days.
I realise that too :(
noajthan wrote:A visit visa as a prelude to fiance or spouse visa can be tricky.
The challenge is to persuade a hard-nosed caseworker that visitor will go back as visit visas are all about demonstrating intent to return 'home'.
...especially as I don't want to commit £1000ish on return flights prior to applying for the visa. And frankly, I don't think getting married in China would help, because they'd just stamp "marriage of convenience" all over it. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to word her "strong intent to return to China", I'd be most grateful. Like I say, there is NO intention here of breaking any rules, but how to word that so that an IO won't just reject it as "obviously rubbish"?

Edit to add: And, I don't want to do the "she's coming for 2 weeks" thing then have her stay for 5 months, as I'm sure that would prejudice any chance of getting a spouse/fiance visa in the future.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:21 pm

AdeV wrote:
noajthan wrote:There's no UKBA anymore.
Apologies. Whatever they're called these days.
I realise that too :(
noajthan wrote:A visit visa as a prelude to fiance or spouse visa can be tricky.
...especially as I don't want to commit £1000ish on return flights prior to applying for the visa. And frankly, I don't think getting married in China would help, because they'd just stamp "marriage of convenience" all over it. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to word her "strong intent to return to China", I'd be most grateful. Like I say, there is NO intention here of breaking any rules, but how to word that so that an IO won't just reject it as "obviously rubbish"? Evidence of strong ties to her home country, examples such as permanent employment, long term study, ownership of property, dependent family

Edit to add: And, I don't want to do the "she's coming for 2 weeks" thing then have her stay for 5 months, as I'm sure that would prejudice any chance of getting a spouse/fiance visa in the future. Yes it would.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

AdeV
Newly Registered

Post by AdeV » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Evidence of strong ties to her home country, examples such as permanent employment, long term study, ownership of property, dependent family
Does "dependent family" generally include parents? Or is that primarily children? She has no children.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:44 pm

Are her parents wholly dependent her? In other words, are they reliant on her for financial support or is she their carer?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

AdeV
Newly Registered

Post by AdeV » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Casa wrote:Are her parents wholly dependent her? In other words, are they reliant on her for financial support or is she their carer?
No - but her father had a heart attack last year & is in fragile health; so they may rely on her income in the future.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:55 pm

At present she wouldn't be able to mention her parents as dependants, although she could include them as close family members.
(Casa, not CR001)

AdeV
Newly Registered

Post by AdeV » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Casa wrote:At present she wouldn't be able to mention her parents as dependants, although she could include them as close family members.
OK, thanks, that seems reasonable enough.

I know this is an impossible question, but in your opinion would "has a full-time job to return to" and "owns own apartment" & close family be likely to be enough in the way of "strong ties"? Especially if the visit were a longer one, 4 or 5 months for example.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:35 am

They may question her commitment to her job, if her holiday is relatively long.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:39 am

vinny wrote:They may question her commitment to her job, if her holiday is relatively long.

....and very few employers will genuinely be prepared to keep a position open for 4-5 months.
(Casa, not CR001)

AdeV
Newly Registered

Post by AdeV » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Casa wrote:
vinny wrote:They may question her commitment to her job, if her holiday is relatively long.

....and very few employers will genuinely be prepared to keep a position open for 4-5 months.
Apparently they have written a letter to that effect. I can't tell, it's in Chinese... If it's the same person she was working for before I met her, they're good friends from way back when, so the post will be genuinely held for her..... but I agree that persuading an IO of that could be difficult. Especially as her employment is as a hairdresser (not rocket scientist or other hard-to-fill position).

AdeV
Newly Registered

Post by AdeV » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:22 pm

After much backing & forthing, visa agencies in China etc. it seems asking for 6 months is a "no chance at all", even 3 months is "virtually no chance", and any more than a month is "chancy"...

What a country we live in :(

So, we're going for plan B which is to ask for 6 weeks (month and a half of course, but hopefully phrasing it as 6 weeks makes it sound a bit shorter...), and if that fails Plan C (reapply for 2 weeks, over the Christmas period).

This is the covering letter I plan to use, I'd be really grateful if you experts could cast a quick eye over it & let me know if there's any howlers on there, or any phrases which would give an immigration officer cause for concern.

Once again, many thanks for your assistance so far.

The letter:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Visitors Visa for Miss xxx xxx, Passport No. Exxxxx

I am writing to confirm I wish to invite Miss xxx xxx to visit me in the UK for up to 6 weeks, from around 12th December 2016, returning to China no later than the 22nd January 2017 (exact dates subject to flight availability).

The main purpose of her visit is to stay with me, and to meet my family. While she is here she will attend my father’s wedding in December, and celebrate Christmas with my family and I. We will also visit historic sites and other attractions around Cheshire, the Wirral and London.

I am willing to sponsor her visit and pay all the necessary travelling costs and any other expenses that she might incur during her stay in the UK.

I work as an IT Consultant through my own Limited Company, and have done since 1997. My typical annual turnover is in excess of £160,000, and I typically pay myself around £40,000 per year in combined salary and dividends. I own my own home, which is a 3 bedroom semi detached house. There is ample space for Miss xxx during her stay. I am a UK citizen.

I give you my full assurance that that I can support, maintain and accommodate Miss xxx without any recourse to public funds. I will pay for any medical treatment that she may require. You have my absolute assurance that she will return to China at the end of her visit, as we are both acutely aware of the impact any breach of visa conditions would have on her ability to visit in the future.

I would therefore be grateful if you can kindly issue the visa to her.

Yours faithfully
(signed etc.)
Do I need to fill out Form SU07 as her sponsor?

As far as other documentation; I've got bank statements (company+personal) for 6 months, a copy of my mortgage statement & a utility bill to prove ownership & occupancy (although apparently these aren't needed?), do I need to show any company documentation? e.g. certificate of incorporation, shareholder list, etc?

Oh... further information in case it is relevant: She has never travelled outside of China before (so no pattern, no previous visas for anywhere etc.)

Again, thanks in advance for any/all replies.