ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Treaty Right - Valid marriage?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kthomsen
Newly Registered

EU Treaty Right - Valid marriage?

Post by kthomsen » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a danish citizen, married to an Algerian citizen.
We got married in Tunisia, and therefore our marriage certificate is Tunisian, but of course registered in Denmark (and Algeria) and legalized by ministries and consulates.

We are planning to move to Ireland to live and work, and of course I would use the EU Treaty Right for us to move together.

But, I heard this "horror story" from Denmark, where a marriage that had taken place outside of EU (Thailand) was rejected as invalid, even though it was legalized and registered in Sweden, and they wanted to move to Denmark.

Have anyone heard about this in Ireland? That a couple (or at least the non-EEA citizen) were rejected residency with the EU Treaty Right, because the marriage had taken place outside of EU?

Thanks!

jul1
Mood:
Ireland

Re: EU Treaty Right - Valid marriage?

Post by jul1 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:12 pm

That would be crazy not to accept it, of course it has to be legalised by the embassy and if needed translated, also if it is registered in your EU country means your country accepted it already.
Ireland is usually looking for the paper registered in the foreign spouse country, but if you present both its even better.

kthomsen
Newly Registered

Post by kthomsen » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:15 pm

jul1 wrote:That would be crazy not to accept it, of course it has to be legalised by the embassy and if needed translated, also if it is registered in your EU country means your country accepted it already.
Ireland is usually looking for the paper registered in the foreign spouse country, but if you present both its even better.
I'll provide whatever document they need in whatever language they want and with whatever stamp/legalization they need (which is possible to get, of course).

But yes, it is crazy. I talked to the guy from the "horror story" i mentioned. Married to a thai, wanted to move from Sweden to Denmark. Denmark said no, because they didn't approve the marriage certificate (which had all the necessary stamps and signatures).. So yeah. I found it very strange and it made me really worried!

broli
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ireland

Post by broli » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:39 am

Hi

Ireland will accept your document :mrgreen: but danemark may not but ireland will accept that because it's valid.

Get it certified to ministery of foreign affair in Algeria. Then try danish embassy if they refuse just come to ireland.

message me I will tell you more about this based on real life experience.

kthomsen wrote:Hi everyone,

We got married in Tunisia, and therefore our marriage certificate is Tunisian, but of course registered in Denmark (and Algeria) and legalized by ministries and consulates.

We are planning to move to Ireland to live and work, and of course I would use the EU Treaty Right for us to move together.

But, I heard this "horror story" from Denmark, where a marriage that had taken place outside of EU (Thailand) was rejected as invalid, even though it was legalized and registered in Sweden, and they wanted to move to Denmark.

Have anyone heard about this in Ireland? That a couple (or at least the non-EEA citizen) were rejected residency with the EU Treaty Right, because the marriage had taken place outside of EU?

Thanks!

kthomsen
Newly Registered

Post by kthomsen » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:51 am

Hi Broli,

I've sent you a PM! :) Thanks!
broli wrote:Hi

Ireland will accept your document :mrgreen: but danemark may not but ireland will accept that because it's valid.

Get it certified to ministery of foreign affair in Algeria. Then try danish embassy if they refuse just come to ireland.

message me I will tell you more about this based on real life experience.

kthomsen wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks!

henry_morgan
Newly Registered

Post by henry_morgan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:49 pm

I am not authority on the matter but I believe that it has something to do with whether the country in question is a signatory to the Hague Convention/Apostille Convention (there's a Wikipedia article)

ireland2016

Post by ireland2016 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:22 pm

Hi Broli
If I have done marriage in Pakistan which is registered in Pakistanand stamp from foreign affairs.
Will it be accepted in Ireland. It's in English language.
I am currently living in London with my British wife

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:03 am

If marriage was properly conducted under Pakistani law, it will be recognised in Ireland.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

ireland2016

Post by ireland2016 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:09 am

Obie wrote:If marriage was properly conducted under Pakistani law, it will be recognised in Ireland.
Thanks obie for your reply.
Yes marriage has been conducted by according to pakistani law. And it have proper registered there with trackable record.
We have done marriage in 2010.
We are in uk since 2011 . UK immigration is nowa days very very
Strict. Even if you are genuine couple.
That's why we will prefer go to ireland and apply there

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:13 am

Do you have children together.

You are perfectly free to go to Ireland with your certificate, so long as ceremony was conducted under the terms of Pakistan law.

ireland2016

Post by ireland2016 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:17 am

Obie wrote:Do you have children together.

You are perfectly free to go to Ireland with your certificate, so long as ceremony was conducted under the terms of Pakistan law.
Yes we are expecting baby boy in a week time.
I am just waiting for baby to be born , make his birth certificate and then we will go to ireland.
If I have case pending in uk will that affect anything or any case in Ireland.
And does ireland uk share any welfare benefits data with Ireland or vice versa

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:23 am

Out of courtesy to others, it is unacceptable to hijack another persons thread and ask issues about yourself.

It makes more sense to open your and ask your questions.

I only answered you as your previous questions relates to validity of marriage. But your current questions is going outside that scope.