ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

noajthan

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by noajthan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:23 am

instant_goldfish wrote:Hi. I'm not married but my problem is kind of related. I changed my forename by deed poll a few years ago because I didn't know about this rule, and now my "British name" doesn't match the one in the passport I travelled here with. Is it simply a matter of doing the deed poll process backwards and sending HMPO the latest deed poll with my passport application?

Additionally, my only passport is from a country that doesn't even exist anymore (Yugoslavia for anyone curious), so is there a chance that counts as cancelled and I don't need to do this? I could definitely argue that having an old Yugoslav passport is not proof of eligibility of citizenship for any of its successor states.
A passport from a county that no longer exists must surely be cancelled by default;
there is no need to submit cancelled passports with a passport application.
But if its your only passport its unclear how you can submit any proof of identity.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

instant_goldfish
Newly Registered

Post by instant_goldfish » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:07 pm

Shouldn't the naturalisation certificate be enough for proof of identity?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:45 pm

If those of you in this thread would be willing to organize a bit, this might be of use to you. Since the UK is violating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights Article 13. section 2, this would be a case that would be difficult for the UK to defend. Throw in the fact that this implementation of the law blatantly targets women, and I think you have win-by-default case against the Home Office.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:48 pm

ouflak1 wrote:If those of you in this thread would be willing to organize a bit, this might be of use to you. Since the UK is violating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights Article 13. section 2, this would be a case that would be difficult for the UK to defend. Throw in the fact that this implementation of the law blatantly targets women, and I think you have win-by-default case against the Home Office.
But unfortunately this UK class action protocol appears limited to scope of consumer law. And passports are issued by RP not consumer law.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:51 pm

noajthan wrote:Good news indeed - policy update:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 16754.html
Unfortunately nothing in this update seems to apply to largest group of victims of this situation: women who are UK citizens, have changed their names due to marriage, and can no longer seek consular services from their previous country of citizenship. This update seems to strictly apply to those who are still dual citizens and can receive consular services from their country of origin/dual-citizenship.

Even the wording is a bit offensive. Foreign nationals? They are not 'foreign nationals'. They are UK citizens and should be treated as such!
Last edited by ouflak1 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:54 pm

noajthan wrote:
ouflak1 wrote:If those of you in this thread would be willing to organize a bit, this might be of use to you. Since the UK is violating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights Article 13. section 2, this would be a case that would be difficult for the UK to defend. Throw in the fact that this implementation of the law blatantly targets women, and I think you have win-by-default case against the Home Office.
But unfortunately this UK class action protocol appears limited to scope of consumer law. And passports are issued by RP not consumer law.
Yeah, the U.S. is way ahead of the curve on this concept. I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing however....

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:10 pm

Can anybody provide any advice on what should be done after the new regulations has come in?

Shall I apply for naturalisation using my old name and for passport I could use my new name if I provide my deed poll + proof of address and employment in my new name, is that correct?

uzbek1
Newly Registered

Post by uzbek1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:36 am

Hi All,

I am applying for my eldest son to become a British Citizen and obtain his first passport. However i think things are going to get a little complicated reading this thread. He has a current Uzbek passport in which his surname is that of his birth farther. On his ILR card we also kept this same name as we thought this is what was needed. However at school and with the local council we use my surname.

My son is 13 and wants to use my surname. Therefore i was going to apply for citizenship and passport in my surname. However given his ILR card and current uzbek passport i think this would cause a problem. Therefore i am thinking what if i don't submit the uzbek passport and as such just submit the request with current UK id proof and also ask for it to be highlighted on the passport he has been known by another name.

Any advice would much appreciated.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:42 am

uzbek1 wrote:Hi All,

I am applying for my eldest son to become a British Citizen and obtain his first passport. However i think things are going to get a little complicated reading this thread. He has a current Uzbek passport in which his surname is that of his birth farther. On his ILR card we also kept this same name as we thought this is what was needed. However at school and with the local council we use my surname.

My son is 13 and wants to use my surname. Therefore i was going to apply for citizenship and passport in my surname. However given his ILR card and current uzbek passport i think this would cause a problem. Therefore i am thinking what if i don't submit the uzbek passport and as such just submit the request with current UK id proof and also ask for it to be highlighted on the passport he has been known by another name.

Any advice would much appreciated.
Welcome.

All uncancelled passports to be submitted when applying for a British passport.
This is so that HMPO can check all identities.

You will face difficulties if naturalising in one name whilst presenting passports in another name.
Suggest naturalise in current father's name as per current passport.
Once safely naturalised and first British passport issued then you can address change of name and new passport.

You have a further complication in that dual nationality appears not to be permitted for Uzbek nationals; you may wish to dig into that matter.

uzbek1
Newly Registered

Post by uzbek1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:52 am

When you mention Uzbekistan doesn't allow dual citizenship. Does that mean we would need to cancel his citizenship using the Embassy before applying? Or can we cancel afterwards ?

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:13 pm

noajthan wrote:.....
Suggest naturalise in current father's name as per current passport.
Once safely naturalised and first British passport issued then you can address change of name and new passport.

How would this address the name change issue given that when renewing a passport and changing any details also requires uncancelled passports to be submitted

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:40 pm

Jujumar87 wrote:How would this address the name change issue given that when renewing a passport and changing any details also requires uncancelled passports to be submitted
...then address...

Once safely British you can do whatever it takes to sort out the name.
Inluding cancelling old passports, revoking old citizenship - whatever it takes.
Worst case: at least the person is British.

sakoni2001
Newly Registered

Post by sakoni2001 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:12 pm

Our situation is this:

My father who is 77 got his Registration Certificate withwith his name and surname only and his uncancelled overseas passport has 2 middle names.

HMPO has rejected his application because names don't match. His only option is to travel overseas and change his name by Poll Deed and apply for the overseas passport.

His health is quite frail and travelling abroad is not an option. The High Commission here are no help insisting that they can't change anything here.

He is in a complete limbo now. Any help would be highly appreciated.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:18 pm

sakoni2001 wrote:Our situation is this:

My father who is 77 got his Registration Certificate withwith his name and surname only and his uncancelled overseas passport has 2 middle names.

HMPO has rejected his application because names don't match. His only option is to travel overseas and change his name by Poll Deed and apply for the overseas passport.

His health is quite frail and travelling abroad is not an option. The High Commission here are no help insisting that they can't change anything here.

Can father cancel foreign passport?
Revoke foreign citizenship?

sakoni2001
Newly Registered

Post by sakoni2001 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:00 pm

noajthan wrote:
sakoni2001 wrote:Our situation is this:

Can father cancel foreign passport?
Revoke foreign citizenship?
Not an option because all his assets there will have to be changed too which means flying there.

yuppie4connie
Newly Registered

Post by yuppie4connie » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi there

If I have to go back to my country to have my name changed on the passport, then will there be a problem coming back to UK as name is different?

Thanks
Connie[/quote]

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:09 pm

yuppie4connie wrote:Hi there

If I have to go back to my country to have my name changed on the passport, then will there be a problem coming back to UK as name is different?

Thanks
Connie
It would help if you posted your situation so that members can advise of what options you have.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tazama
Newly Registered

Post by tazama » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:25 pm

My wife is denied a renewal of her British Passport, because the UKPA insists that she change her name on her Russian Passport or get a letter from the Russian Authorities that this is not possible.

Only thing is my wife and I live and work in Qatar and my wife's right to exit and enter Qatar is linked to her British Citizenship and to her British Passport.

A predicament that the UKPA is so far averting its gaze to.

So, my wife is stranded in Qatar thanks to the UKPA and Home Office Policy on British dual national wives of British Citizens.

towards
Newly Registered

Post by towards » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi all,

A quick note to say "hello!" and give you the link to my FOI request related to this thread.

Gender discrimination under the One Name Policy: Breakdown of adult passport applications delayed, or denied, due to the implementation of the "one name policy", broken down by gender.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... redirect=1

You have all done great work over these nearly 500 individual posts on this thread. I am sure your combined efforts have helped many people whose home countries do not allow name changes to passports, to manage to obtain a British passport with an observation. It seems though, that there are still a huge number of women whose passport applications are being delayed or denied due to the inappropriate implementation of the one name policy, and that as several previous posters have mentioned, demonstrates discrimination both on the basis of gender and marital status.

I'm not sure whether many of you are still engaged with this issue, but thought that it would be worth updating this thread with the above link in case you are! Please do add your comments on the link above with your experiences if you too are affected.

Many thanks for all of the good work that you do.

(long time lurker, first time poster ...)

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:04 pm

This is a great letter and on point. I hope the UK government sees the failing in their ways and implements the necessary changes to fairness and equality.

jjm07

Post by jjm07 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:14 pm

towards wrote:Hi all,

A quick note to say "hello!" and give you the link to my FOI request related to this thread.

Gender discrimination under the One Name Policy: Breakdown of adult passport applications delayed, or denied, due to the implementation of the "one name policy", broken down by gender.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... redirect=1

You have all done great work over these nearly 500 individual posts on this thread. I am sure your combined efforts have helped many people whose home countries do not allow name changes to passports, to manage to obtain a British passport with an observation. It seems though, that there are still a huge number of women whose passport applications are being delayed or denied due to the inappropriate implementation of the one name policy, and that as several previous posters have mentioned, demonstrates discrimination both on the basis of gender and marital status.

I'm not sure whether many of you are still engaged with this issue, but thought that it would be worth updating this thread with the above link in case you are! Please do add your comments on the link above with your experiences if you too are affected.

Many thanks for all of the good work that you do.

(long time lurker, first time poster ...)
Thanks that is a good idea - HMPO examiners aren't all aware of the Change of Name guidance, depending on who is dealing with your application, it might be significantly delayed.

Another point - what is your view on having the previous name on the Observation Page? This would only apply to dual nationals, so is this fair? I fear people who changed their name and have their previous one on the Observation Page might trigger questions from officials.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:21 am

jjm07 wrote: Another point - what is your view on having the previous name on the Observation Page?
I think this invites discrimination based on ethnicity and gender.
jjm07 wrote:This would only apply to dual nationals, so is this fair?
Not necessarily. In many cases, the women no longer has her former citizenship, losing it upon either marriage and/or attainment of UK citizenship (or by whatever other laws apply to the country in question). So this would apply to all married women of a different ethnic background that is not UK-born. Nothing says discrimination like discrimination.
jjm07 wrote: I fear people who changed their name and have their previous one on the Observation Page might trigger questions from officials.
Your fear is well founded.

ghgi
Newly Registered

Post by ghgi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:38 am

Hi,
I'm having big issues with HMPO at the moment. I am a dual national French and British, and got married last year. I applied for my first British passport a couple of months ago, and naively told them about my French passport. This was issued 10 years ago, and due to expire in a couple of weeks, but obviously issued in my maiden name. Since doing this I have had no end of problems, as I have no intention of renewing my French passport due to the high cost involved.
I have also just sent off documents to the French consulate to register my marriage, which will be completed in February!!
I have told HMPO about how even once my marriage is registered with the French gov't, I will always be known as my maiden name on all official documents, they don't care.

I was basically given a few options:
- Wait for my marriage registration and renew my French passport (which will take another 3 months to arrive), then send them a copy and they might then issue my British one
- Receive my British passport in my maiden name so it aligns with my French, however another examiner told me they won't do this because it isn't the name I use on a daily basis
- Renounce my French nationality, which I have no intention of doing at all.

I have gone to my MP and they have just been sent a letter from HMPO about the one name policy, and the MP's office don't seem to want to go any further unless I can come up with more evidence of exceptions.
I have seen on here that people have been successful in getting HMPO to put in observations in British passports along the line of:
The bearer of this passport holds a ***** passport in ******* name due to expire ****** with ******** passport number.
Would anyone be able to help providing me with letters (obviously remove personal details) they received from HMPO detailing this so that my MP can go back to them and show that there is precedent?

I also wanted to know if anyone has been successful in getting their money back once they made an application and been through this horrible issue and decided to abandon all hope?

Thanks

mylastdaysofdisco
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by mylastdaysofdisco » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:32 am

Phew - so I literally read ALL 25 pages in this thread and THANK YOU so much for all your input! I am glad I researched on this and have discovered this gem BEFORE MY APPLICATION. I am eligible to apply for citizenship and British passport mid-February. Now the same concerns I may have to repeat... this is my story and my first post!

1. Married but not using married name in ANY of my documents.
2. Philippine passport and ILR permit are in maiden name.
3. I am UNABLE to change my Philippine passport to my maiden name because: 1) I got married in the US in 2015 and only filed for a Report of Marriage in November 2017, 2) PSA or Philippine Statistics Authority takes 8-12 months to process this before they can issue me a 'Filipino version of a marriage certificate'

My questions
1. Should I just apply using my MAIDEN name? Preferably I'd like to use my MARRIED name.
2. Should I apply using my MARRIED name, enclose a letter stating my case that I cannot change my Philippine passport at the moment, and declare that I will cancel my passport?
3. Is passport cancellation at the Philippine Embassy in London a known thing now or still risky?
4. Is it worth to wait for nearly a year to get my PSA-issued marriage certificate, then apply for Philippine passport (8-12 weeks), then apply for citizenship? That means all this will be delayed for a FULL YEAR.

I have sent an-email and mailing a letter to HMPO in the morning and will also give them a call.

Would be helpful to receive input on whether my options 1 or 2 sound feasible.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:28 am

Option 1 Use of maiden name is less complicated, especially when you are using your maiden name in all other documents.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.