ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Article 50(Brexit) and moving to Ireland with non eu spouse

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mankind47
Newly Registered

Article 50(Brexit) and moving to Ireland with non eu spouse

Post by mankind47 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I would truly like someone to shed some light on this "Brexit article 50" matter as I am confused and I don't quite understand how this mechanism of leaving the EU works after triggering article 50? I am British citizen and my spouse is non eu citizen(Japanese) i am not able to meet the financial threshold of 18600 in order to sponsor her to the UK hence We are planning to move to Ireland in December 2016 to exercise our treaty right she has already obtained her C visa. My concerns are when the UK trigger article 50 in March, does our treaty right stop immediately ? or does it carry on until the 2 years negotiations are over?? will we be asked to leave Ireland when article 50 is triggered??
Thank you in advance and I hope someone can help answering my queries.

zahmed05
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Re: Article 50(Brexit) and moving to Ireland with non eu spo

Post by zahmed05 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi,

This doesn't stop the day Article 50 is triggered and you will be allowed to live in Ireland after that as long as you are exercising your treaty rights. There is no guarantee that you will be able to get FP based on your stay in Ireland or PR. This will all depends on how the negotiations go.

henry_morgan
Newly Registered

Post by henry_morgan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:40 pm

The reality is that no-one truly knows. However, there are things that are more likely and less likely to happen.

In theory, once Article 50 is triggered, the UK will have 2 years to leave the EU. They may choose to do so before or after this time limit, BUT it seems likely that our government will not want to rush the process and neither will the EU want to extend it. This makes 2 years look quite likely.

Whilst the UK is still part of the EU, UK citizens will continue to be EU citizens and so rights to EU freedom of movement will still be intact.

After the 2 years is up it depends on what the deal is. There is a chance (in my opinion), that the UK will maintain freedom of movement in order to keep single market access, meaning that perhaps nothing will change. Or perhaps, we will come crashing out of the EU.

In either case, the UK's relationship with Ireland is likely to be a bit more friendly than that with our other ex-European neighbours. Perhaps there will be explicit legislation enshrining rights of British Citizens to live and work in Ireland with their spouses and vice versa...who knows.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:24 pm

We already have CTA!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

mankind47
Newly Registered

Post by mankind47 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:52 pm

the UK's relationship with Ireland is likely to be a bit more friendly than that with our other ex-European neighbours. Perhaps there will be explicit legislation enshrining rights of British Citizens to live and work in Ireland with their spouses and vice versa...who knows.
I concur with your statement that the UK will retain special relationship with the Republic of Ireland after they'll pull out of EU, I have just read this article and The Brexit Secretary Davis Davis told MPs he believes there will be no change to what is enshrined in law in the Ireland Act 1949.
This legislation established the special status in which the Republic of Ireland is regarded "not a foreign country" for the purpose of UK laws so there will be No change for rights of Irish citizens in UK and I assume vice versa.