ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU husband got British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vinny

Re: EU husband got British Citizenship

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:56 am

MrsGreenside wrote:
noajthan wrote: Because UK does not recognise someone as being an EU citizen (in immigration context) if they are also British.
Without the intention of hijacking this thread please could you elaborate on this? Maybe give me a source? Thank you!
See also Reference made to CJEU on EEA citizens who naturalise as British losing benefits of Treaty rights > Lounes, R (on the application of) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2016] EWHC 436 (Admin) (08 March 2016).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

AnnaGreen
Newly Registered

Post by AnnaGreen » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:54 am

In all this stories people already had dual citizenship (which makes sense for me why they got refused at some poin from getting visa under EU regulations).

I already have EEA residence card now and logically I can not understand why I'm loosing it. I understand that my husband will be considered only as a British here but in the same time in EU he will be person with dual citizenship which means for me Britain will not respect his rights to be with family and break the law.

I honestly do not see logic here at all. For the last 3 years I m living here, paying tax, working and suddenly because my husband getting DUAL citizenship I need to loose everything and start from scratch. Does not make any sense...

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:18 am

Unfortunately, that is the current UKVI's position.

Hopefully, the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) will eventually disagree with them and agree with you.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

MrsGreenside

Post by MrsGreenside » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:33 am

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:05 am

AnnaGreen wrote:In all this stories people already had dual citizenship (which makes sense for me why they got refused at some poin from getting visa under EU regulations).

I already have EEA residence card now and logically I can not understand why I'm loosing it. I understand that my husband will be considered only as a British here but in the same time in EU he will be person with dual citizenship which means for me Britain will not respect his rights to be with family and break the law.

I honestly do not see logic here at all. For the last 3 years I m living here, paying tax, working and suddenly because my husband getting DUAL citizenship I need to loose everything and start from scratch. Does not make any sense...
UK are not Philistines - there was a transitional arrangement put in place alongside this change when the Regulations were first rolled out.
An example of the traditional British sense of fair play, if you will.
However it appears you do not qualify for it. (I have already asked if you had a FP application filed by 2012 for example - did you?).

There is EU law and there is EU law transposed into UK law.
The expectation in UK is that applicants know the Regulations that, in this scenario, have applied since 2012.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

AnnaGreen
Newly Registered

Post by AnnaGreen » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:42 pm

Let's say my husband will give up his British citizenship now, so simply don't go ceremony. How it will affect him if he will apply for citizenship later?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:16 pm

AnnaGreen wrote:Let's say my husband will give up his British citizenship now, so simply don't go ceremony. How it will affect him if he will apply for citizenship later?
It will be explainable in an appropriate cover letter.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:16 am

An example of problems switching.

kostikson

Post by kostikson » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:01 pm

in the same situation. My advice give up UK passport, not worth the hustle...

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:59 pm

There should be an explicit warning for EU citizens wishing to naturalise, if they have dependants who have not qualified for PR.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:10 am

kostikson wrote:in the same situation. My advice give up UK passport, not worth the hustle...
OP's hubby has no British passport to give up yet, that's a separate procedure once hubby has attended oath/pledge ceremony.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:47 am

Found a contrary response from Home Office!

If this response was really accepted practice, then there would have been no need to refer the question to the CJEU. Or has the CJEU already decided?

Unless the CJEU has decided, I doubt that applicants may rely on this response.

This response contradicts 19-28 and
36 wrote:The Defendant submitted that, after naturalisation as a British citizen, Mrs Ormazabal could no longer exercise any EU right to free movement within the U.K. despite her Spanish nationality and Union citizenship. In that respect, she was in the same position as other British citizens living in the U.K. who did not have dual nationality. She could, of course, exercise her EU right to free movement in other EU countries. It followed that the Claimant's application to reside in the U.K. had to be determined according to U.K. domestic immigration law only; he could not rely upon the Directive and the EEA Regulations 2006.

AnnaGreen
Newly Registered

Post by AnnaGreen » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:42 pm

My husband had conversation with one of the "HO advisers" and first they told him it's completely fine and I won't be affected. When he told them that by law UK will consider him only as a British ( not European anymore) they change story and told him I will need to leave and reapply for new spouse visa.

When he ask about my job they told him I can continue working. Then he mention that for this visa I need to leave the country and it takes few weeks so how she can continue working they told "in this case she will need to quit her job "

I think each time he will call them they will give him a different answer.

For me it's all sounds just crazy! I think they should give some warning to people who want to apply for citizenship and make it very clear, so no one get in the same situation. Also it's not £5 for application which you can forget about its over a 1000!!!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:09 pm

AnnaGreen wrote:My husband had conversation with one of the "HO advisers" and first they told him it's completely fine and I won't be affected. When he told them that by law UK will consider him only as a British ( not European anymore) they change story and told him I will need to leave and reapply for new spouse visa.

When he ask about my job they told him I can continue working. Then he mention that for this visa I need to leave the country and it takes few weeks so how she can continue working they told "in this case she will need to quit her job "

I think each time he will call them they will give him a different answer.

For me it's all sounds just crazy! I think they should give some warning to people who want to apply for citizenship and make it very clear, so no one get in the same situation. Also it's not £5 for application which you can forget about its over a 1000!!!
The 'call helpline 3 times get 4 different answers plus a mistransfer through to a cat lady in Bognor Regis' is well known.

Most unfortunate but keep in mind there are many routes to the privilege of citizenship. Naturalisation via the EU route is just one of them.

The consequences of naturalising are well-publicised in public domain (WWW), including the loss of ability to sponsor family members.
However its not clear HO sees it as necessary or part of its remit to warn of all the 'consequences' of naturalisation.

UkEEAnational
Newly Registered

Post by UkEEAnational » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:52 am

Anna green

Have you heard in regards to your application for PR?

Have an almost identical case here. I'm going through enormous stress these days as so unsure what to do
Rang a solicitor and they asked me £300 for 20-25 min Skype consultation ?
How I am going to do a living if I pay that much money

My husband too is really upset

Any help please

Anna green please do get back to me asap
Don't know how to contact you privately apart from posting on here