ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need clarification (nonEEA spouse of UK citizen) moving perm

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

FeliciaB
Newly Registered

Need clarification (nonEEA spouse of UK citizen) moving perm

Post by FeliciaB » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:24 am

Hello there,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping I might be able to get a bit of clarification on a few questions I have regarding the process of a nonEEA spouse (I'm American) of a UK citizen to permanently move to Ireland.
Things to know...
-While living in the UK is not something we have ruled out potentially in the future- our intent is to move to Ireland permanently. ie, this is not a Surinder Singh post in case that skews particular answers/steps
-I am a US citizen, my partner is a UK citizen

I've read numerous immigration guidelines on citizens information and the INIS site...from what I understand, because I am a US citizen, I do NOT require a Visa when moving to the country with my spouse. If i'm interpreting everything correctly, I enter the country with my spouse, provide passport/ID/marriage certificate.... (?)

Which leads to my next question- I'm a bit confused as far as how the two of us enter the country...Can we arrive together? At which time, my spouse and I are allowed 3 months in the country during which she must seek and obtain a job? OR Is she to have already been living in Ireland and secured a job and everything PRIOR to my arrival?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated- I realize there are similar situations/posts on this forum but i've done my best to review them for these answers prior to posting.

Thank you!!! :)

zahmed05
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Re: Need clarification (nonEEA spouse of UK citizen) moving

Post by zahmed05 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:07 am

Hi

As you're a visa free national, you can travel alone and join her. You even don't need to mention her and your settlement unless it's being asked.

She don't need to be in job when you come and she can find job within the first three month of arrival info the state. I suggest travel together, lease a house under both of your name, get bills and look for work. Once work is found, it will be straight forward after that.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:04 am

Get up to speed on free movement here:
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/doc ... 013_en.pdf

:idea: Be aware that with Brexit looming you need to decide whether to plump for EU migration route (sponsored by UK spouse as a Union citizen).
Or to shoot for Irish domestic route (via type D visa?).

:!: Its unclear what your status in Eire will be (on EU route) once UK leaves EU.

Whatever you do on Irish domestic route wouldn't be affected.
And UK spouse won't be affected either way due to rights under auspices of CTA.

:idea: But its sure to be a great experience and remember to check out the GoT filming locations.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

FeliciaB
Newly Registered

Post by FeliciaB » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:04 pm

Thank you both for taking the time to clarify everything and provide a lot of great information- it is MUCH appreciated! :D