ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Being denied work because out-of-date passport

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

CEALB
Newly Registered

Being denied work because out-of-date passport

Post by CEALB » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:48 am

Hi, my situation and problem are as follows:
- I live in London since October 2002. Married and settled. Have my NI number , P45's, Enhanced DBS certificate, wages slips, proof of permanent address, etc.
- I have ILR visa since April 2004 stamped on my original Venezuelan passport I came in with in 2002.
- In September 2011 I had a new passport emitted by the Venezuelan Consulate here in London.
- Since 2004, I did travel 3 times for hols with both passports, that is, with the old one with the ILR visa stamped on it and the last one (now out-of-date) without problems. Last time I did so was from Dec 2011 to Jan 2012.
- I have been working either freelance or hired (temporary and part time) by agencies here in London for all these years without any problem.
- I applied for renovation of my last (or second) Venezuelan passport last September 2016, just before becoming out-of-date, but the Venezuelan Consulate has announced serious delays in emitting and delivering new passports (over 5+ months). All I have is a slip that confirms I have applied for it and is in process. I do have and keep my 2 old passports with me.
- Then, last October I was told at interviews with 2 different job agencies that they needed to see my up-to-date or new passport along with my ID card or ILR Card, as the original ILR stamp on the old passport is no longer valid ! (even though they recognised that such information is not in the gov uk page/site which according to them is not actualised since 2013), otherwise NOBODY will employ me ?!

So, at the moment, I have been put out in the cold to freeze. What can I do ? :
- Can I apply for my ID ILR Card with my out of date passport? ( I read I can only apply for it with my new Venezuelan passport...).
- Is it true that my 2 old passports along with proof address like Council tax bill, NI number, P45, etc and my 2 old and out-of-date passports are not good enough to win a new job assignment by any agency ?
Is it true that I can not work in this country having my Venezuelan Passport out-of-date?
- What options/documents do I have to show to find a job then, after living and working here for for just over 14 years? I am over 55 years old and I need to work to make ends meet at home, only part time due to health problems under control. I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE and I am not on benefits or anything like that, but it feels like all of the sudden I am being discriminated and being treated as a suspicios inmigrant.

- pd: I have not told any of my potential employers/agencies, but last September I passed my English test with A/A and now I am studying for my LITUK test which I may take in January, but this whole process to win my UK citizenship will take months and I can not wait for this to gain a job. I read that I can use my out-of-date passport to take the test and apply for my citizenship, is that right?

Finally, I will appreciate your advice.
K Regards,
Mrs CA

CEALB
Newly Registered

Re: BEING DENIED WORK BECAUSE OUT-OF-DATE PASSPORT

Post by CEALB » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:15 am

* I meant Permanent resident card = ID Card or ILR Card

vinny

Re: BEING DENIED WORK BECAUSE OUT-OF-DATE PASSPORT

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:59 am

Unfortunately, they expect you to apply for NTL when seeking new employment.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

adivee
Newly Registered

Re: Being denied work because out-of-date passport

Post by adivee » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi

Just enquiring further on this matter. What happens to the ILR vignette on the old passport once I apply for a Biometrics card? Do they stamp it as invalid? Can I still use it when travelling into UK? (Biometrics card aside)

te7037
Newly Registered

Post by te7037 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:47 pm

Hi

The statement on the Home Office webpage (https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa) says,'
You don’t have to transfer your visa - you can carry both your old and new passports when travelling to or from the UK instead.'

Does it only apply to travelling migrants or does it apply to 'right to work' too?

I have not been able to get anything that is in plain English so I decided to write an FOI request to the Home Office for clarification!

So, if you wish to find out more about your current status, FOI requests seem to be the answer as it is a guaranteed response :lol:

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of-in ... oi-request

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:04 am

te7037 wrote:Hi

The statement on the Home Office webpage (https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa) says,'
You don’t have to transfer your visa - you can carry both your old and new passports when travelling to or from the UK instead.'

Does it only apply to travelling migrants or does it apply to 'right to work' too?

I have not been able to get anything that is in plain English so I decided to write an FOI request to the Home Office for clarification!

So, if you wish to find out more about your current status, FOI requests seem to be the answer as it is a guaranteed response :lol:

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of-in ... oi-request
The statement by HO refers to TRAVELLING ONLY. This doesn't change the fact that you need a BRP for JOB/EMPLOYMENT that is new. You have not LOST your ILR status but you are now required to produce a BRP card to prove your status.

You have already been given this advice in two other topics you have tagged onto. Kindly refrain from continuing to tag your question onto every topic you find.

general-uk-immigration-forum/ilr-in-old ... l#p1481845

indefinite-leave-to-remain/ilr-expires- ... l#p1481885
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.