ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need help understanding a requirement for I-130

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cdntluvumore
Newly Registered

Need help understanding a requirement for I-130

Post by cdntluvumore » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:54 am

I was adopted by an American citizen when I was 15. I had residency but only just found out I was entitled to citizenship. It of course lapsed so that opportunity has since closed:( I now want to apply for residency so I can work while I'm here (I'm on an H4 visa). I'm looking at form I-130 and I believe I do qualify but I'm stuck understanding one portion. It says:
"You may not file for a person in the following categories:
1. An adoptive parent or adopted child, if the adoption took place after the child's 16th birthday, or if the child has not been in the legal custody and living with the parent(s) for at least 2 years prior to the filing of the petition."
I did live with my adoptive family for 4 years but haven't lived with them for a number of years now. Does this form mean I have to have lived with them for min 2 years at any point in time or two years immediately prior to submitting the application?

Thanks!

noajthan

Re: Need help understanding a requirement for I-130

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:06 pm

Reading the (American) English it seems to mean living 2 years (immediately) prior to the application.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.