ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa - Marriage status?

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dcdx89
Newly Registered

Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa - Marriage status?

Post by dcdx89 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:32 am

Good morning,

My question is pretty simple. Can a Japanese national who is wanting to apply for the Tier 5 YM visa be married? I have looked online and it doesn't really mention this - and it seems like someone who is married may be questioned as to why they want a visa intending to temporarily work.

Please advise,

Thanks,

David

noajthan

Re: Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa - Marriage status?

Post by noajthan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:11 am

dcdx89 wrote:Good morning,

My question is pretty simple. Can a Japanese national who is wanting to apply for the Tier 5 YM visa be married? I have looked online and it doesn't really mention this - and it seems like someone who is married may be questioned as to why they want a visa intending to temporarily work.

Please advise,

Thanks,

David
There is no objection to married Japanese nationals.

T5 is not a singles-only visa. Come one come all.
https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-government-au ... ly-members
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:58 am

noajthan wrote:
dcdx89 wrote:Good morning,

Please advise,

Thanks,

David
There is no objection to married Japanese nationals.

T5 is not a singles-only visa. Come one come all.
https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-government-au ... ly-members
Tier 5 YMS does not permit family members. Not sure if OP is intending to bring spouse but this would not be possible with YMS.
https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/overview
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:04 am

Ah, I see YMS can't bring family - but they may still have family members.
You can’t:
  • work as a professional sportsperson (eg as a coach), doctor or dentist in training - unless you can show you qualified in the UK;
    bring in family members on your application - they must apply separately
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:42 am

T5YMS is open to usage by married individuals. They can't have dependent visas for family members tho.

dcdx89
Newly Registered

Post by dcdx89 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:43 am

Thank you for the replies everyone.

So let me just clarify.

I am a British national in Japan and my fiancee is a Japanese national. If we get married here and she becomes my spouse, can she still apply for the YMV independently with no mention of me and be accepted?

Im a bit confused over the information explaining how i cannot bring someone with me who's family.

I ask because my Japanese visa finishes in March and the YMV for home (UK) opens in January. Its actually on a random basis believe it or not for Japanese nationals, so if she is accepted is it wise to not marry here until a final decision is made in regards to the YMV visa? We want to marry anyway as soon as possible to get the ball rolling for the Japanese spouse visa, but if us being married means an absolute no for the English visa, then we will wait.

NOTE - I appreciate nobody here can advise me in regards to what to do, I'm just looking for the fact on if I marry my Japanese partner, does this mean she is no longer able to apply for the YM visa.
Just to clarify I am a British national with a British passport, obviously i dont need any kind of visa.

Cheers!

David

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:05 pm

Your spouse can apply for a YMS if they qualify. You did not state in your opening post that you are British. Your citizenship has no relevance to qualifying for a YMS visa.

If married, your spouse will have to be truthful in the application form.

UKVI might question or wonder why spouse is not applying for a spouse visa, but it is your/spouse's choice I suppose.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dcdx89
Newly Registered

Post by dcdx89 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:43 pm

CR001 wrote:Your spouse can apply for a YMS if they qualify. You did not state in your opening post that you are British. Your citizenship has no relevance to qualifying for a YMS visa.

If married, your spouse will have to be truthful in the application form.

UKVI might question or wonder why spouse is not applying for a spouse visa, but it is your/spouse's choice I suppose.
Thank you!

Well the thing about the spouse visa at home is that in order to even be considered I need to earn the financial requirement for 6 months at least and then apply, plus the spouse is required to take an English test, which I'm sure she would pass but still, its so much hassle when the YM visa is available with little requirements and still with the 2 years of no restrictions on work.Its sad that this is really our only option in order to simply stay together, its like being exiled from your on country! But at least we have options.