ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WP Sponsorship & Contracting FAQs - UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

James.Dunlop
Site Admin

WP Sponsorship & Contracting FAQs - UK

Post by James.Dunlop » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:25 am

Dear Readers

A lot of people want to freelance in the UK but need a work permit. This makes 'pure freelancing' impossible as a WP holder has to be the PAYE employee of the sponsoring company.

This guide is for those who are considering working for a consultancy that 'sponsors' their permit while paying them based on their billings.

At workpermit.com we have worked with several good consultancies, and have seen the debris left by rogue operators.

If you are considering such a move, feel free to drop me an e-mail and I can give feedback on any consultancy you may be considering, or suggest one if you have not got one lined up (or if the one you were considering is may be a rogue operator)

Q: Can I work on agency contracts?

A. On a WP you can not be 'bodyshopped'. This means that you must be on a project based contract. Most agency contracts are by default bodyshop contracts so you need to be very careful. A good consultancy can advise on this area

Q: What sort of deal can I expect?

A: This will depend on the contract. Some contracts involve particulary high risk or require higher than usual insurances (eg more than GBP2m PI cover). However, if you have a project based contract and can bring it to a consultancy, you should usually be able to get a margin in the 30% range (from which the employer would fund the 13.8% employer's National Insurance. AND 3% employer's pension contribution) on that project.

Q: Can anyone get a work permit this way?

A: No. Consultancies will only hire those with the skills and experience to command good rates. The average charging rate is probably GBP400/day in IT. If you can bill GBP 250+ for a 7.5hr day you should find a home, and if you are very persuasive you may find someone to support you as low as GBP200/day. More junior staff should probably not try to go into consulting.

Q: What will my relationship be with my sponsoring company?

A: They will be your employer. They have a duty to pay you your base salary until your employment ends, and to tell the Home Office if you leave them before the permit expires.

Q: What should I avoid?

A: Generally any company that seeks to be very restrictive, or which tries to make money by taking cash from you as opposed to making a profit margin on the client projects you deliver. In particular, watch out for:

1. Any form of 'bond' or up front fee

2. Punitive penalty clauses on leaving. In this respect, anything beyond requiring PARTIAL refunds for training courses / disbursed costs is probably wrong. Good practice is that 1/12th of any such costs should be written off each month, so if you stay 12 months you repay nothing, if you leave after 9 months you repay 3/12ths etc.

3. Any structure which does not give you clarity. Rogue operators can turn into outright thieves, especially when dealing with departing staff.

4. Anything short of full support for getting ILR. If they are a genuine consultancy and a decent company they will welcome ILR status as it reduces the papework on them (consultants with ILR do not need every contract to meet Home Office criteria).

5. The contract process. Any company that will sign standard agency terms is almost certainly non-compliant which exposes everyone; particulary the WP holder whose permit can be revoked if the company is found to be unsuitable (The Home Office is increasingly vigilant in this respect, and the political climate makes further clampdowns probable)
James Dunlop

mailto:james.dunlop@jdunlop.com

saipriyaa
Newly Registered

Post by saipriyaa » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:23 pm

Hi,
Can anybody provide a list of known consultants for SAP ABAP jobs, who could sponsor UK work permit.

Thanks,
Saipriyaa.

HSMPForAll
Newly Registered

UK IT Job

Post by HSMPForAll » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:31 pm

Hi
Either you are planning for HSMP or already applied or received visa, if want to know the potential for your CV / experience in UK perm/contract market please send your cv to

Immigration Boards Announcement HSMP candidates wanting help with marketing themselves in the UK, please send your CV to Consultancy.Jobs@workpermit.com

cskmail

Post by cskmail » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:22 am

Thanks for the information

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:55 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

amgadhany
Newly Registered

list of Engineering companies which can provide work permits

Post by amgadhany » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Can anybody provide a list of known consultants for "structural engineering or Civil Engineering" which can provide work permit

gsaini
Newly Registered

Post by gsaini » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:21 pm

Can anybody provide a list of consultants for SAP ABAP jobs. I have a work permit and am currently in UK itself.

cherishsos
Newly Registered

Post by cherishsos » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:51 am

ok ,get it ,thank you :wink:

Farah13
Canada

Umbrella Companies

Post by Farah13 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:21 am

Would anyone be able to provide a list of reputable Umbrella Companies willing to sponsor?

Cheers

harry045
Newly Registered

Post by harry045 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks dear for very useful information

mi818
Newly Registered

entrepreneur IT contracting

Post by mi818 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi i would like to know .In the entrepreneur visa are we eligible to do contracting or we have to work for our own company

bindaaslife
Newly Registered

Re: Umbrella Companies

Post by bindaaslife » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:38 pm

Farah13 wrote:Would anyone be able to provide a list of reputable Umbrella Companies willing to sponsor?

Cheers
'

Hi Farah,

Hope you are doing good. Have found any one willing to sponsor. If yes will really appreciate your help

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:44 pm

bindaaslife wrote:
Farah13 wrote:Would anyone be able to provide a list of reputable Umbrella Companies willing to sponsor?

Cheers
'

Hi Farah,

Hope you are doing good. Have found any one willing to sponsor. If yes will really appreciate your help

This member was last active in January 2013 :!:
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

jack645
Newly Registered

Post by jack645 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:52 pm

Can anyone send me umberalla companies list for Chemical engineering jobs, if someone plz tex me PM

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:55 am

jack645 wrote:Can anyone send me umberalla companies list for Chemical engineering jobs, if someone plz tex me PM
As a new member you don't yet have the privilege of the PM facility.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:03 am

jack645 wrote:Can anyone send me umberalla companies list for Chemical engineering jobs, if someone plz tex me PM
There are also no visa available now that permit working for an umbrella company. What UK visa do you currently hold?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.