ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Disclosure of offence PR

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Mumu1906
Newly Registered

Disclosure of offence PR

Post by Mumu1906 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi,
Happy new year everyone!
I am about to apply for PR.
I want to disclose an offence that happened in 2010 and the sentence was 12 months suspended sentence.
It happened in the UK and easy to verify.
My problem is my husband solicitor applied for a registration certificate in 2014 for me as part of my husband case.
I didn't know at the time what he was applying for. I gave him the documents needed. I didn't fill the form myself but I signed the last page. I recall he asked about previous convictions and he said that a suspended sentence was not a big deal and I think he said it wasn't worth mentioning.
Now I am pretty sure he didn't mention it. I got the registration certificate.
Now, I apply for PR on my own and I see that my conviction should be disclosed and it is an offense not doing so.
I know I have to do it but I really scared the Home Office refuse my application for being deceptive even without knowing.
Can someone tell me please the right course of action?

noajthan

Re: Disclosure of offence PR

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:28 pm

There is no good character test for confirmation of PR.

Such questions (on the form) are out of scope in terms of EU law and what is required under the Directive in terms of confirming acquisition of PR.

But you should clearly keep copies of all such applications you ever submit to HO. For ever.
Suggest contact solicitor and request copy of RC form.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Mumu1906
Newly Registered

Re: Disclosure of offence PR

Post by Mumu1906 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:18 pm

Thank you for your answer.
I was planning to contact the solicitor but obviously I need to wait for a few days.
I just completed my PR application online and I explained the problem in additional information.
This application can be edited and I can return to it when I will have more information.
I know that good character is not necessary for PR however they mention you commit an offence if you are deceptive.
It what worries me most because I might be wrong this offence in itself can be punished by a fine, prison or both ( for what I understood).
I will ask the solicitor a copy of the registration certificate application.
If I discover the solicitor didn't mention it, I am worried
they punish me in a manner or another for making a fraudulent application in the past.
I wish I never signed that last page of the application without knowing what had been filled but I was hoping the solicitor would respect the law in any case.
My doubts might be unfounded and I hope they are.