ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

German citizen married to US citizen move to Germany + work?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

COgirl
Newly Registered

German citizen married to US citizen move to Germany + work?

Post by COgirl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:01 pm

Hello everyone,

just found this forum and I thought I'd ask you a couple questions about moving from the USA to Germany.

As you can tell from the Subject topic my American husband and I (German citizen) are planning to move from the USA to Germany (hopefully in 2009).

We would like to know what we have to do in order to get him a work permit and the permit to stay in Germany. Could we apply for all of the paper work from the USA or should we wait until we get to Germany?

Does anybody know of any good search engines for foreigners looking for work in Germany? Or do you know of a company that is willing to hire foreigners (he has a MBA focus in IT and a MS in Finance and he is fluent in Spanish and has basic German and French skills). Are you maybe American working in Germany right now and could give us some helpful tips?

We also would like to know if any of you know what would happen to my GreenCard. I just applied for everything and I will hopefully receive my 2 year GreenCard by the end of March. I heard that it would expire after being out of the country for one year...is that true? Is there some paperwork I can file to keep my GreenCard active while we are in Germany?

Thanks for all your help!!!1

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: German citizen married to US citizen move to Germany + w

Post by sakura » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:35 pm

COgirl wrote:Hello everyone,

just found this forum and I thought I'd ask you a couple questions about moving from the USA to Germany.

As you can tell from the Subject topic my American husband and I (German citizen) are planning to move from the USA to Germany (hopefully in 2009).

We would like to know what we have to do in order to get him a work permit and the permit to stay in Germany. Could we apply for all of the paper work from the USA or should we wait until we get to Germany?

Does anybody know of any good search engines for foreigners looking for work in Germany? Or do you know of a company that is willing to hire foreigners (he has a MBA focus in IT and a MS in Finance and he is fluent in Spanish and has basic German and French skills). Are you maybe American working in Germany right now and could give us some helpful tips?

We also would like to know if any of you know what would happen to my GreenCard. I just applied for everything and I will hopefully receive my 2 year GreenCard by the end of March. I heard that it would expire after being out of the country for one year...is that true? Is there some paperwork I can file to keep my GreenCard active while we are in Germany?

Thanks for all your help!!!1
Visit the German embassy in the USA and read about spouse visas? http://www.germany.info/relaunch/info/c ... anent.html That's the first place to start.

Read the FAQs: http://www.germany.info/relaunch/info/c ... a/faq.html

He can enter Germany as a tourist and then apply for a residence permit as a spouse of a German citizen, once he is in Germany. He can work with his residence permit, no problem. Note that this is the situation as it stands: check in 2009 to see if any changes are made.

As for work....he might find it hard if he doesn't speak fluent German. Much like someone might find it hard to find a good job in the USA if they didn't speak fluent English....

As for your green card...you risk losing it: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... green+card

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:56 pm

I think there's a language test too, not an easy one either. Can't remeber at what stage that kicks in tho.!

Oddly tho - my gf didn't have to take one for her WP/RP, maybe cos it was a student placement for language purposes...

Sakura is right, u do need good german to find a job, although it's not impossible, esp for touristy bars, unskilled etc...

Try (from memory) http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/ there's lots on there about work and language....

MFG
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

COgirl
Newly Registered

Post by COgirl » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:30 pm

Thanks for the info....I guess we will pack our stuff up and move to Germany in April 2009 and get all the required paperwork once we get there. We will also have to keep looking for jobs on the internet...get the family in Germany involved and send random applications to companies. He is also thinking about teaching business english or even teach at an army base (he thought spanish in high school before).

as for the language test mentioned here are some exceptions to that rule. he doesn't have to take it 'cause he is a US citizen...lucky.

Are there exceptions?
Yes. You do not have to prove any knowledge of German if one of the following statements applies:

You or your spouse are citizens of a member state of the European Union (excluding Germany).

You are incapable of demonstrating basic knowledge of the German language due to a physical or mental illness or handicap.

You have a university degree or corresponding qualification, or exceptionally in your case, there is a recognisably lesser integration requirement for other reasons.

You do not wish to reside permanently in Germany.

Your spouse has a residence permit as highly-skilled worker (§ 19 AufenthG). researcher (§ 20 AufenthG). company founder (§ 21 AufenthG). person entitled to asylum (§ 25 (1) or § 26 (3) AufenthG).
recognised refugee (§ 25 (2) or § 26 (3) AufenthG). holder of a permanent right of residence from other EU countries (§ 38 a AufenthG).
Your spouse is a citizen of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand or the United States of America.

Forgot to mention...maybe the language test you were talking about is the test foreigners have to take when they want to study at a german university...and yes that one isn't easy. one of our friends failed it but they allowed him to go and start his studies and retake it during the semester...and he passed the second time around. it's the same in the US foreigners have to take the TOEFL if they want to study at the university level.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:05 pm

COgirl wrote:You are incapable of demonstrating basic knowledge of the German language due to a physical or mental illness or handicap.
Maybe this one! Answer, yes I am an American! Sorry.......

I'm sure there is a stringent lang test for residency, it's in this forum somewhere....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....