ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will my girlfriend be allowed into Ireland with her visa?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

somtamthai
Newly Registered

Will my girlfriend be allowed into Ireland with her visa?

Post by somtamthai » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:40 pm

Worrying is in my nature, so the answers here will either alleviate my fears or add to them. Either way, I thought I'd ask anyway to get some input, perhaps from people who know more about this stuff than me.
Anyway, my girlfriend requires a visa to even travel to Ireland for tourism purposes. I somehow managed to get her a visit visa C at the first time of trying, and she plans to stay with me for around 5 weeks here.

My worry is that having bought her plane ticket and planned the trip, she might be refused entry into the country at the airport. I'm wondering what are the chances of this? She'll be arriving with a return ticket, travel insurance, and a few hundred quid just to show that she's not coming here broke (although the nature of that visa is that I'm covering the cost of her stay).

Her English is not perfect by any means. I speak a fair bit of her language and we communicate that way. But if she gets someone picky, I'm wondering is there a good chance she'll be refused entry? Or would it usually be ok once she has the correct visa?
Thanks for any help.

noajthan

Re: Will my girlfriend be allowed into Ireland with her visa

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:55 pm

somtamthai wrote:Worrying is in my nature, so the answers here will either alleviate my fears or add to them. Either way, I thought I'd ask anyway to get some input, perhaps from people who know more about this stuff than me.
Anyway, my girlfriend requires a visa to even travel to Ireland for tourism purposes. I somehow managed to get her a visit visa C at the first time of trying, and she plans to stay with me for around 5 weeks here.

My worry is that having bought her plane ticket and planned the trip, she might be refused entry into the country at the airport. I'm wondering what are the chances of this? She'll be arriving with a return ticket, travel insurance, and a few hundred quid just to show that she's not coming here broke (although the nature of that visa is that I'm covering the cost of her stay).

Her English is not perfect by any means. I speak a fair bit of her language and we communicate that way. But if she gets someone picky, I'm wondering is there a good chance she'll be refused entry? Or would it usually be ok once she has the correct visa?
Thanks for any help.
Is there something in particular in gf's travel history that raises such doubts?

No visa absolutely guarantees entry into a country.
But unless gf pops up on border guards radar for some reason, or is acting particularly strangely in the arrivals area, then the chances are the worst she will encounter is a nod, a smile and the odd question.

The guards and officials are probably used to people not so fluent in English and no doubt have ways and means to handle that so it should not be a concern.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

somtamthai
Newly Registered

Post by somtamthai » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:35 pm

noajthan wrote:
Is there something in particular in gf's travel history that raises such doubts?

No visa absolutely guarantees entry into a country.
But unless gf pops up on border guards radar for some reason, or is acting particularly strangely in the arrivals area, then the chances are the worst she will encounter is a nod, a smile and the odd question.

The guards and officials are probably used to people not so fluent in English and no doubt have ways and means to handle that so it should not be a concern.
Hey,

Thanks for your reply. Her travel history is pretty much spotless. She spent I think a month or two in another country in Asia a while back, a country that she was granted 90 days in, so she has no overstay history or anything.

I guess I'm just being me and worrying when I don't need to. Was just concerned that her lack of fluent English might hamper her chances of persuading the person at the immigration counter that she plans to leave when she says she will. I've never entered Ireland as someone not from the state so I have no experience of what the border control is like in terms of if they see the correct visa do they just tend to stamp you through and send you on your way or are the questions quite detailed.

vanjam
Newly Registered

Post by vanjam » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:10 pm

Maybe they will call you from the border. When my friend's mother was coming here, they called him to check if she would stay at his place. She didn't speak English too, but she had some note written on paper with his phone number.