ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After arriving in the UK on spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Zed701
Newly Registered

After arriving in the UK on spouse visa

Post by Zed701 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Hello,

Happy New Year to all!

My spouse has just arrived in to the UK on a spouse visa. Could someone please confirm what do we need to do next (including for documentation/evidence required in approx. 2.5 years time of visa extension?)

I know he needs to get registered with a GP which is straight forward. But what about getting a drivers licence? He at the moment does not have any UK residency history (3 years needed as per DVLA's online form?) Also how does he obtain a National Insurance Number?

I can get him added to my secondary bank account (I used my primary to get paid etc. so might leave that on as is, is it going to be ok?) so any suggestions please from your experience?

Sorry for so many questions but please point me in to the direction if a thread with up to date info is already available on this forum.

Many thanks in advance for all your input!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: After arriving in the UK on spouse visa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:26 pm

Zed701 wrote:Hello,

Happy New Year to all!

My spouse has just arrived in to the UK on a spouse visa. Could someone please confirm what do we need to do next (including for documentation/evidence required in approx. 2.5 years time of visa extension?) Don't forget to collect the BRP card from the Post Office. 2 years cohabitation (joint names) will be required for FLR(M) extension so prepare for that.

I know he needs to get registered with a GP which is straight forward. But what about getting a drivers licence? He at the moment does not have any UK residency history (3 years needed as per DVLA's online form?) Does he currently have a foreign drivers license?

Also how does he obtain a National Insurance Number? Job centre

I can get him added to my secondary bank account (I used my primary to get paid etc. so might leave that on as is, is it going to be ok?) so any suggestions please from your experience? Should be fine but he should be able to open his own account.

Sorry for so many questions but please point me in to the direction if a thread with up to date info is already available on this forum.

Many thanks in advance for all your input!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Zed701
Newly Registered

Post by Zed701 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Thank you for your super quick response.

Yes, he has collected his BRP already :)

Sorry could you please elaborate on "2 years cohabitation" for me? Any examples at all would be really helpful here!

Yes, he has a Pakistani licence but not 100% sure if he brought it with him :(

Yes, I am sure he will open his own account too but was wondering if a joint bank account would be better?

Thanks again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:46 pm

Zed701 wrote:Sorry could you please elaborate on "2 years cohabitation" for me? Any examples at all would be really helpful here! Page 62 or 63 of the FLR(M) form lists what type of documents HO expects to see.

Yes, he has a Pakistani licence but not 100% sure if he brought it with him :( Not sure if a Pakistani DL is exchangeable for a UK one.

Yes, I am sure he will open his own account too but was wondering if a joint bank account would be better? Makes no difference really as long as 'shared responsibilities' is evidenced.

Thanks again!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Zed701
Newly Registered

Post by Zed701 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Thank you, I will take a look at the FLR(M) form.

I will doubt that very much if a Pakistani DL can be exchanged but will check this with DVLA. And if he needs to get a new one, what should we do about the 3 years residency history? Any suggestions at all?

Thanks again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:52 pm

Some countries can do a straight exchange. I did but I am from South Africa.

If he can't, he would have to apply for a provisional drivers licence and do the whole DL thing again. Best to check with DVLA but unlikely they will stray off their set requirements. He would also pay a fortune in insurance.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Zed701
Newly Registered

Post by Zed701 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:33 pm

I completely agree! Cheers for your help on this :D