ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Citizen bringing Non-EU Wife

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sugarheart
Newly Registered

UK Citizen bringing Non-EU Wife

Post by Sugarheart » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi there! I'm just hoping to clear up some confusion I have with the process of bringing my Canadian wife with me to Ireland. I myself am from England, so I know that it's pretty straight forward for me.
The only information I can seem to find is someone using their EU treaty rights, so does that still apply to me?
Thank you!

noajthan

Re: UK Citizen bringing Non-EU Wife

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:56 pm

All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Sugarheart
Newly Registered

Post by Sugarheart » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:35 pm

I've read through all of that before, but I still have some questions. From what I've gathered this is what she'll need to do...

1. Enter Ireland and present passport, marriage certificate and proof of finances
2. Be issued a permission to remain stamp 4
3. Report to the Garda Station
4. Be issued a certificate of registration (GNIB Card)
5. Apply for residence card (I read somewhere that she has to wait after the first 3 months?)

Is this correct? And when will she be able to start working?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:49 pm

Sugarheart wrote:I've read through all of that before, but I still have some questions. From what I've gathered this is what she'll need to do...

Is this correct? And when will she be able to start working?
You can send wife to work as soon as you are a qualified person yourself.
The optional RC to confirm her status may help ofcourse.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Sugarheart
Newly Registered

Post by Sugarheart » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:02 pm

I thought there were no restrictions for myself working as I'm from England. Is there a way I need to prove this or is my passport enough?

fsa

Post by fsa » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Sugarheart wrote:I thought there were no restrictions for myself working as I'm from England. Is there a way I need to prove this or is my passport enough?
that is right, you actually have to exercise your treaty rights to be a qualified person - i.e. employed/self employed, studying, self sufficient. once you can show you are one of these you can apply for a residence card for your other half

Sugarheart
Newly Registered

Post by Sugarheart » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:25 pm

So can she start working pretty much as soon as I do? Or does she have to wait after 3 months to apply for a residence card?

fsa

Post by fsa » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Sugarheart wrote:So can she start working pretty much as soon as I do? Or does she have to wait after 3 months to apply for a residence card?
under the EU rules yes she is entitled to work as soon as you become a "qualified person" as above. However it may be difficult to obtain employment without a residence card to prove she is a family member/spouse of a EU citizen. Some employers may accept the entry visa as proof but most will likely want to see a residence card.