ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK citizenship for US Green card holders

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sardar1987
Newly Registered

UK citizenship for US Green card holders

Post by Sardar1987 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:09 pm

I am a middle eastern who have been living in the UK for a while, at the same time my relatives applied for my Green Card. The Green Card was granted this year also because of my residency in the UK I am entitle to apply for British citizenship. Now my question is: If I apply for the British citizenship, does it affect my Green Card in anyway?

Thank you.

Casa

Re: UK citizenship for US Green card holders

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Your US Green Card provides you with no advantage for acquiring British Citizenship.

How long have you been living in the UK and under what right to residence :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Sardar1987
Newly Registered

Post by Sardar1987 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:20 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I have both US Green card and British permanent residency. Now I want to apply for British citizenship. I am not looking for an advantage, because I already have all the requirements. My worry is how becoming a British citizen could negatively affect my US Green card.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Sardar1987 wrote:Thank you for your reply.

I have both US Green card and British permanent residency. Now I want to apply for British citizenship. I am not looking for an advantage, because I already have all the requirements. My worry is how becoming a British citizen could negatively affect my US Green card.
Are you aware that a Green Card can be withdrawn if you remain outside of the US for more than 180 days in a 12 month period. Equally if you are outside of the UK for more than 90 days in the 12 months period (or 180 days during the 5 year qualifying period) prior to applying for BC the application will be refused.

You may find it difficult to comply with residence requirements in both the US and the UK.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Sardar1987
Newly Registered

Post by Sardar1987 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Casa wrote:
Are you aware that a Green Card can be withdrawn if you remain outside of the US for more than 180 days in a 12 month period. Equally if you are outside of the UK for more than 90 days in the 12 months period (or 180 days during the 5 year qualifying period) prior to applying for BC the application will be refused.

You may find it difficult to comply with residence requirements in both the US and the UK.
Thanks. Yes, I am aware of those facts. Fortunately I was able to comply with these requirements and now I am eligible to apply for British citizenship. My only question is, is becoming a British citizen going to disqualify me in keeping my US Green card?

gtht

Post by gtht » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:43 pm

As the green card makes you liable for American tax reporting, I'm sure they won't be in a hurry to take it away. I can't believe how much I've had to spend over the years just to comply with the mandated reporting of my American passport.
DCPR Applied: 12/5/2016
DCPR Received: 7/9/2016
BC Applied: 3/11/2016
BC Approved: 23/3/2017
Ceremony: 25/4/2017

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:49 pm

So you hold an American passport?

If so, you can have dual US/UK citizenship without a problem. You had only mentioned a Green Card. :?
(Casa, not CR001)

gtht

Post by gtht » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:53 pm

Casa wrote:So you hold an American passport?

Sorry, that was just me. Didn't mean to confuse the situation for the original post.
DCPR Applied: 12/5/2016
DCPR Received: 7/9/2016
BC Applied: 3/11/2016
BC Approved: 23/3/2017
Ceremony: 25/4/2017

Sardar1987
Newly Registered

Post by Sardar1987 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Casa wrote:So you hold an American passport?

If so, you can have dual US/UK citizenship without a problem. You had only mentioned a Green Card. :?
No I don't. I have an American Green card and I am going to apply for British citizenship.

milspectees
United States of America

Post by milspectees » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:17 pm

U.S. law states:

"a person who acquires a foreign nationality by applying for it may lose U.S. nationality. "

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:38 pm

milspectees wrote:U.S. law states:

"a person who acquires a foreign nationality by applying for it may lose U.S. nationality. "
You can only lose U.S. citizenship if you actively state that you wish to renounce it in front of a U.S. consular outside of the United States. There is over a century's worth of legal precedent that support and reinforce that law. Only the recent case of Yaser Esam Hamdi suggests a possible loophole, and that is an extreme situation.

In any case, that has nothing to do with the OP's question. His Green card won't be affected, but he will have to meet the residence requirements to acquire UK citizenship. That seems rather implausible considering the residency requirements for retaining a Green card.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:47 pm

The OP doesn't have US citizenship to lose.

However, US immigration may find that s/he has abandoned her/his permanent residence status in the US, in light of satisfying the UK's residence and future intentions requirements for UK naturalisation.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Muira
United States of America

Post by Muira » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:50 am

Not quite. A person must do it with an intention of giving up their US nationality. The US does allow dual nationality.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Muira wrote:

Not quite. A person must do it with an intention of giving up their US nationality. The US does allow dual nationality.
Can we please stay on track with the OP's original question, without going off topic. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)