ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Father in British Army and Police in 1930's-48 in Palestine

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

amibritish
Newly Registered

Father in British Army and Police in 1930's-48 in Palestine

Post by amibritish » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:59 am

I'm wondering if I can get British Citizenship
My father was a soldier in the British army and police during the 1930's-1948 in Palestine. He was not born in England nor Palestine but came from Eastern Europe to Palestine in early 1930's. Does this give me any rights to British citizenship?

vinny

Re: Father in British Army and Police in 1930's-48 in Palest

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:59 am

Were you born at that time?
Where was he recruited?
Was he married to your mother?

See also 20.2.5.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

amibritish
Newly Registered

Post by amibritish » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:06 am

Hi,
To answer your questions...
I was born in the 50's
He was recruited in Palestine
He married my mom while still in the British army
By the way...Thanks for the quick reply!!

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:52 am

Unfortunately, if he was not in the crown service at the time of your birth nor was recruited in the UK, then it's unlikely that you can claim British citizenship.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:25 am

Mandatory Palestine was not a British colony, but a mandate territory that was governed for the League of Nations by the United Kingdom. As it was not a part of the Crown's dominions but merely governed on behalf of the League of Nations by the United Kingdom, it was from the viewpoint of nationality law, foreign soil and birth in Palestine did not make a person a British subject. It had its own distinct citizenship (i.e non-British citizenship) between 1925 and 1948.

To the best of my knowledge, Crown Service of itself has never conferred British citizenship/CUKC by itself. Your father's Palestinian passport would have been that of a British Protected Person*, not of a British subject/CUKC. If he acquired any other citizenship (either Israeli or Jordanian or any other), he would automatically have lost the BPP status.
* - Pre-1948 Palestinian citizens were prerogative BPPs, not statutory BPPs.

Even assuming that the BPP status is retained, it does not give any right to reside in the UK. It is subject to immigration Control and you will still need a visa to enter the UK.

So, to look at whether you may have acquired British citizenship, you will have to see if your father was registered as a British subject/CUKC before your birth. Mere proof of Crown Service is not, in my opinion, sufficient.

Further Reading:
"Mandated Territories" and "Trust Territories"
Protectorates and Protected States
Chapter 54: British protected persons, general information (nationality instructions)
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.