ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parents travel on visitor visa - request input

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

acdindian
India

Parents travel on visitor visa - request input

Post by acdindian » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi All,

My parents traveled to UK last year on a visitor visa - their visa was stamped on 25th March 2016 and they traveled on 4th April 2016.

They would want to visit me again this year.

What is the earliest that they can apply? - should the visa application reach the UK High commission on or later 25th March 2017 or 4th April 2017 (given that you can only have a 6 month visitor visa in a span of 1 year)

I want to be sure on the dates to apply to avoid rejection on technical grounds.

Would really appreciate the inputs.

Thanks
Ash

vinny

Re: Parents travel on visitor visa - request input

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:55 pm

How long were they in the UK?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

acdindian
India

Post by acdindian » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:13 am

Hi Vinny,

They were here for 5 months - thanks

Ash

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:04 pm

How long did they say they'd be visiting for? Unusual to be allowed so long for a visit now.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:41 pm

acdindian wrote:given that you can only have a 6 month visitor visa in a span of 1 year)
There is no 6 month in a year rule.

What is not allowed is residing in the UK in the guise of a visit visa, through frequent or successive visits. This earlier post for another user summarises the situation. Also see the recently updated visit visa guidance.

Be aware that recent cases posted on these forums seem to suggest that having repeated visits to family in the UK is leading to rejection of future visit visas. Visit visas are not a means of bringing elderly parents to reside in the UK.

As Wanderer has mentioned above, why would your parents need to visit the UK again so soon after having spent five months here? If it is so that they can stay with family, that is residing and not visiting.

Also see this recent case of the visit visa application for the mother-in-law of a moderator on these forums getting rejected.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

acdindian
India

Post by acdindian » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks very much Wanderer and Secret.Simon. this is insightful. On the original application, it was mentioned as 4 months.

Also - is there a families visit visa that they can apply for instead of a tourist visa? - I am on a tier 2 ICT visa at present.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards
Ash

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:59 am

It is the same visa, Standard Visitor Visa, with no extra concessions just because you are family. The requirements will be EXACTLY the same.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:04 am

There is no difference between a family and a tourist visitor visa. They now both come under the Standard Visitor visa category.

Staying 5 months instead of the requested 4 months in the previous application may weaken their case for another visit.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

acdindian
India

Post by acdindian » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:08 am

Thanks CR01, Casa,

Just a final input requested on my initial query - if I have to apply for their visa, what date should I be looking to target before applying - 25th March or 4th April.. (to ensure that 1 year has passed since the last time visa has been granted/ they have traveled to UK). It will be a short visit this time - for a couple of weeks since we have a family event.

Regards
Ash

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:59 pm

The date of application does not matter. You can, in theory, apply today.

What does matter is convincing the ECO that your parents are visiting and not residing and that they will leave the UK when they said they would.

The facts that
(a) they have just recently spent five months in the UK,
(b) that they stayed five months when they mentioned four months in the application form and
(c) that they are being sponsored by a relative in the UK-which could imply that they can overstay because they are unlikely to run out of funds from back home
Will count against their visit visa application.

You will have to make a very compelling case as to why they need to return so soon and that they will stay only for the period mentioned in the application.

You may also want to make contingency plans for the family event assuming that your parents will not be there for the event.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.