ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for French/German RC while working in Switzerland

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Bobthemoggie

Applying for French/German RC while working in Switzerland

Post by Bobthemoggie » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:48 pm

Hi Guys

I would like to check one possibility-

I am a EU citizen
Is it possible to live in France / Germany on border towns of Switzerland and work in Switzerland.

And in that case- Will it be possible to apply for French / German RC (under EC/2008 freedom of movement directive) for immidiate Family members (non-EU)
of EU citizen?

Kindly suggest

Cheers

mgb

Re: Applying for French/German RC while working in Switzerla

Post by mgb » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:43 pm

Yes, it is possible. You would be than a frontier worker in switzerland and exercising treaty rights as a self-sufficient person in France or Germany.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:52 am

You may also wish to go through this working paper from the European Parliament, especially the section "The status of frontier workers in Switzerland".

I've just been to Basel and it seems that about 35,000 people commute into Basel from Germany and France everyday. Conversely, things are much cheaper in Germany than Switzerland and so a lot of Swiss (and French) people travel to Germany for their weekly shop.

Alternatively you can also look at places like Büsingen am Hochrhein, an enclave of Germany within Switzerland, which gives you access to the best of both worlds, especially when it comes to schooling for children (they can attend either schooling system).

Further reading:
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/wo ... dex_en.htm

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/i ... workers_en
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Bobthemoggie

Post by Bobthemoggie » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks for your reponse.
So, In case one works in SW & lives in Germany; How the RC for immidiate family members (parents) could be processed? i.e. what will be the process

Cheers
secret.simon wrote:You may also wish to go through this working paper from the European Parliament, especially the section "The status of frontier workers in Switzerland".

I've just been to Basel and it seems that about 35,000 people commute into Basel from Germany and France everyday. Conversely, things are much cheaper in Germany than Switzerland and so a lot of Swiss (and French) people travel to Germany for their weekly shop.

Alternatively you can also look at places like Büsingen am Hochrhein, an enclave of Germany within Switzerland, which gives you access to the best of both worlds, especially when it comes to schooling for children (they can attend either schooling system).

Further reading:

Bobthemoggie

Post by Bobthemoggie » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:59 pm

mgb wrote:Yes, it is possible. You would be than a frontier worker in switzerland and exercising treaty rights as a self-sufficient person in France or Germany.
Thanks for your reponse. Two queries
a) Why self-sufficient. Since I will be working so will I not be able to show income from the work in SW?
b) reg. Self-sufficiency. Will they consider balance maintained in UK Bank account? [As exchange rate is worst currently converting GBP-EUR is not a good idea]

Kindly throw some light on self-sufficiency.

Cheers

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:11 pm

Bobthemoggie wrote:
mgb wrote:Yes, it is possible. You would be than a frontier worker in switzerland and exercising treaty rights as a self-sufficient person in France or Germany.
Thanks for your reponse. Two queries
a) Why self-sufficient. Since I will be working so will I not be able to show income from the work in SW?
b) reg. Self-sufficiency. Will they consider balance maintained in UK Bank account? [As exchange rate is worst currently converting GBP-EUR is not a good idea]

Kindly throw some light on self-sufficiency.

Cheers
a) The work in another country is what makes you selfsufficient in country of residence.

b) Could be.

Note if you have ambitions of returning to UK having completed a SS gig then selfsufficiency will not fly.
UK plays hard ball with SS and only recognises workers/selfemployed qualified persons.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:30 pm

It may (may being the operative word. I do not know that for a fact) be possible for worker status to be ported across EU countries if you are a border worker between two EEA countries.

But Switzerland is neither an EU nor an EEA Country, but a country with which the EU has specific treaties. Hence it is not improbable that working in Switzerland may not amount to working in an EU country and you may have to apply as a self-sufficient person in either France or Germany.

Did you read the section on Switzerland in the link I posted earlier? It seems Switzerland has a system of work permits that have to be renewed at specific intervals, even for EU citizens. Immediately you can see that freedom of movement rules are slightly different there.

So, assume, as a part of your working plan, that you will not be able to port your worker status from Switzerland to either France or Germany and plan your CSI (which is compulsory for all workers, even Swiss, in Switzerland) in such a way that it covers you in France and/or Germany. That way, you can apply as self-sufficient in those two countries.

Also see: Healthcare in Switzerland

Just a quick reminder, I am neither Swiss nor an expert on Swiss law. All the things above are found on Google.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Bobthemoggie

Post by Bobthemoggie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:26 am

secret.simon wrote:You may also wish to go through this working paper from the European Parliament, especially the section "The status of frontier workers in Switzerland".

Further reading:

Dear Expert members,

One query about Zurich- is there a town in Germany commutable on public transport for working in Zurich & living in the Germany?

Kindly advise

Thanks

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:47 am

Konstanz on the German Swiss border is an hour and a half away from Zurich by train.

A monthly season ticket would be CHF364.