ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can an overstayer with a british child marry her partner

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kamsi
Mood:

Re: Family life as a parent application

Post by kamsi » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:44 pm

I made it myself. I couldn't afford to pay a solicitor. The first application I made in 2010 costed me 4,800 pounds in legal fees and took 3 years to resolve

donwilliams
Ghana

Can an overstayer with a british child marry her partner

Post by donwilliams » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:52 pm

hello guys, hope you are all good.
I need an advice here.. can an overstayer with a british citizen child get married to the childs mother legally in the uk ? what are the chances and the risk involved. many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can an overstayer with a british child marry her partner

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:23 pm

donwilliams wrote:hello guys, hope you are all good.
I need an advice here.. can an overstayer with a british citizen child get married to the childs mother legally in the uk ? what are the chances and the risk involved. many thanks.
Unlikely HO will grant you permission to marry and may well detain you.

You are required to give 28 days notice at an HO approved Registry of your intention to marry. You need your passport and a valid visa usually. The Registry then has to inform HO and this notice period can be extended to 70 days for HO to investigate and interview each of you separately. If HO gives permission, then you can marry.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:26 pm

There is always the risk that the overstayer will be detained during the Home Office marriage interview. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

donwilliams
Ghana

Post by donwilliams » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Casa wrote:There is always the risk that the overstayer will be detained during the Home Office marriage interview. :idea:

Oh ok. didnt know they interview you both separately. meaning it is a bit risky.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:40 pm

donwilliams wrote:
Casa wrote:There is always the risk that the overstayer will be detained during the Home Office marriage interview. :idea:

Oh ok. didnt know they interview you both separately. meaning it is a bit risky.
The biggest risk is not necessarily in convincing the interviewer that you have a genuine relationship, but in being an overstayer. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

donwilliams
Ghana

Post by donwilliams » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:54 am

Good morning honourable members,
I want to apply for flr(fp) as a parent and below is an update of all the documents i have, i need help with any additions or subtractions. please if you have applied in a similar situation please share your views.

CHILD 9 months old next week

* Dedication certificate
* Birth certificate
* Benefit letters ( child benefit letter, working tax and child tax credit letters)
* GP registration letter
* British passport

MOTHER

* Permanent residence card
* Letter of consent
* mother has been in a previous marriage and has not divorced yet

FATHER (11 months living together with partner)

* Birth certificate
* Current passport
* Affidavit of loss of previous passport
* Photocopies of previous(lost) passport
* GP registration letter
* Proof of address from TalkTalk and TV Licensing
* Pictures of our family together
* DNA test of father, mother and son
* Letter from GP confirming we both live together at the same address, that I bring my son to
appointments and I am the one to contact in case of emergency
* Letter from mid-wife that we both live together at the same address.
* Introductory letter from myself

honourable moderators please help. overstayed for 3 years on 1st april 2017

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:58 am

As previously advised if you are a partner of the mother, then it will be difficult to qualify under the parent route.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:00 pm

You cannot apply using the parent route if you are living with your partner. You must apply on the partner route but without 24 months of living together you will struggle.

Edit : beaten by Obie
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

donwilliams
Ghana

Post by donwilliams » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks,
I was wondering if leave could be granted outside of the rules.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:49 pm

donwilliams wrote:Thanks,
I was wondering if leave could be granted outside of the rules.
Very doubtful if you fail to meet the requirements for an unmarried partner living in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years, with the documented evidence to support the application.
(Casa, not CR001)

donwilliams
Ghana

Post by donwilliams » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:44 pm

good evening moderators,
since i dont qualify for the partner route, I wanted to try my luck on the flr(FP) as a parent route. please with regards to the family life as a parent route, does the documents listed above needs any additions or subtractions please. thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:47 pm

If you are living with your partner, the FLR(FP) parent route will fail.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:48 pm

You don't qualify for the parent route if you are living with the mother of your child. This is only for parents who are separated.

Edit: Beaten once again by a far speedier CR001
(Casa, not CR001)

donwilliams
Ghana

Post by donwilliams » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:55 pm

in this case i think its better i go in for marriage application or living together. please what is the difference between this two applications. does the financial requirement applies in both? thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:07 pm

You are not married so cannot do a spouse visa, also because you have no valid leave. Unmarried partner, even for FLR(FP) partner route, you need 24 months proof of cohabitation.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

donwilliams
Ghana

Post by donwilliams » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:10 pm

CR001 wrote:You are not married so cannot do a spouse visa, also because you have no valid leave. Unmarried partner, even for FLR(FP) partner route, you need 24 months proof of cohabitation.

please does the financial requirement applies to the partner route?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:22 pm

donwilliams wrote:
CR001 wrote:You are not married so cannot do a spouse visa, also because you have no valid leave. Unmarried partner, even for FLR(FP) partner route, you need 24 months proof of cohabitation.

please does the financial requirement applies to the partner route?
The 5 year route yes, the 10 year route no. Doesn't change the fact that you don't have two years of living together.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

donwilliams
Ghana

Post by donwilliams » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:29 pm

okay, i think what I have to do now is to wait till I have a proof of 24 months of living together and apply as a partner. i will see if my partner can sort out her divorce isssue out by then.

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:30 pm

Yes, make sure that your partner does finalise the divorce to decree absolute.

If you can wait, then after 24 months of living together apply for FLR FP Partner Route. Ensure that you have everything documented, anything done jointly, proof of living together, gather it all up.

If you are in a stage where you can marry each other, that is your choice of course, your relationship will be under the microscope regardless, so communication, pictures etc are vital and essential. Seen that you are looking at premium service, most likely you'll be wasting your money as you don't have valid leave and may be a "complex" case and will take time. Unless you tick all the boxes and requirements, I wouldn't do that. (only once approved and go for ext.)

Best of luck

Husband's timeline - overstayer 11 yrs
08/16 - FLR (FP) Partner, refused 02/18, 03/18 - JR permission refused with merit
08/18 - FLR FP (Partner) PSC - Approved
07/20 - FLR FP to FLR M Switch - Approved, 03/23 FLR M Ext Approved.

donwilliams
Ghana

Post by donwilliams » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:41 pm

bathanza wrote:Yes, make sure that your partner does finalise the divorce to decree absolute.

If you can wait, then after 24 months of living together apply for FLR FP Partner Route. Ensure that you have everything documented, anything done jointly, proof of living together, gather it all up.

If you are in a stage where you can marry each other, that is your choice of course, your relationship will be under the microscope regardless, so communication, pictures etc are vital and essential. Seen that you are looking at premium service, most likely you'll be wasting your money as you don't have valid leave and may be a "complex" case and will take time. Unless you tick all the boxes and requirements, I wouldn't do that. (only once approved and go for ext.)

Best of luck
Thank you @ bathanza. looking at my partners marriage.. they did a proxy marriage from overseas. does the decree absolute applies to that also. she was thinking of doing the divorce overseas as well since the marriage was done overseas. please throw me light on this one as well. thanks.

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:49 am

Hello, your partner needs to have no legal impediment in order for your relationship to be recognised, recognised form of relationship is to be together for at least 2 years, a married couple or engaged.

I don't know about proxy marriage, but if it's legal in another country, religious or not, that surely would require finalisation.

Husband's timeline - overstayer 11 yrs
08/16 - FLR (FP) Partner, refused 02/18, 03/18 - JR permission refused with merit
08/18 - FLR FP (Partner) PSC - Approved
07/20 - FLR FP to FLR M Switch - Approved, 03/23 FLR M Ext Approved.

donwilliams
Ghana

Post by donwilliams » Sun May 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Hello moderators,
This is a quick update on my case. i met a solicitor to discuss my case with him. and he adviced me to apply for eea fm. because my partner has a belgian citizenship. he was saying we could marry in the uk here and the home office will not stop us because we have a child together though i have overstayed. i would be happy if you guys can share with me your ideas as well. below is an update of my documents.#

CHILD 11 months old

* Dedication certificate
* Birth certificate
* Benefit letters ( child benefit letter, working tax and child tax credit letters)
* GP registration letter
* British passport

MOTHER

* Permanent residence card
* Letter of consent
* mother has been in a previous marriage and has not divorced yet
* belgian passport

FATHER (13 months living together with partner)

* Birth certificate
* Current passport
* Affidavit of loss of previous passport
* Photocopies of previous(lost) passport
* GP registration letter
* Proof of address from TalkTalk telephone
* Pictures of our family together
* DNA test of father, mother and son
* Letter from GP confirming we both live together at the same address, that I bring my son to
appointments and I am the one to contact in case of emergency
* Letter from mid-wife that we both live together at the same address.
* Introductory letter from myself

thank you guys......will look forward for your comments.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun May 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Your solicitor should also have advised you that in order to marry in the UK you can only register with a Home Office designated Registry Office. The Registrar is then legally bound to notify the Home Office who can then extend the notification period from 28 to 70 days in order to interview you both separately, should they choose to do so before the wedding can take place.

Be aware that as you have no legal status in the UK you are at risk of being detained when you attend the interview.

I'm assuming the solicitor also told you that your wife will have to divorce her first husband before you can marry. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

donwilliams
Ghana

Post by donwilliams » Sun May 14, 2017 4:58 pm

thanks casa. my partner has done the divorce at decree absolute. her ex husband has the original and she gave her coloured copy. can we use the coloured copy or we need to get the original. thanks.