ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by crowbar6 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:27 pm

New entry

Application Date : 02 Nov 2016
VFS Center: London Paddington
Date of acknowledgement : 03 Nov 2016
Original docs Received : 08 Nov 2016
Documents Printing Status: : PROCESSED 20 Dec 2016
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI : 20 Dec 2016
Document received At London: 20 Dec 2016
Passport Submitted in person : 02 Jan 2017
Passport and OCI document received : 10 Jan 2017

Thanks.
Regards,
crowbar6

amitpatel1185
Newly Registered

Post by amitpatel1185 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:17 am

Application Date : 07 Dec 2016
VFS Center: London Hounslow
Date of acknowledgement : 08 Dec 2016
Original docs Received : 10 Dec 2016
Documents Printing Status: : PROCESSED 11 Jan 2017
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI : 11 Jan 2017
Document received At London: 11 Jan 2017
Passport Submitted in person : Tomorrow

Impressed with the service. cant believe. Super fast despite Christmas and new year holiday

haiksuresh
Member of Standing

Post by haiksuresh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi,
Could some one plz confirm on the below OCI check list.

1) British Passport [Original] + 2 copies self attested
2) Naturalisation Certificate [Original] + 2 copies self attested
3) Surrender Certificate [Original] + 2 copies self attested
4) Online OCI Application print out
5) 2 Photos.
6) Upload scanned copy of Photo and signature , British Passport+ Naturalisation Certificate self attested pdf file , Indian passport + Surrender Certificate self attested pdf file.
7) Appointment letter printout.
8) Two Royal Mail special delivery envelopes.

Please correct me if i miss anything.

Regards,
Suresh

Chiligee
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by Chiligee » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:50 pm

Baby's OCI based on father holding OCI and mother being Indian passport holder.

Application Date : 09 Nov 2016
VFS Center: London Goswell rd
Date of acknowledgement : 10 Nov 2016
Original docs Received : 17 Nov 2016
Documents Printing Status: : PROCESSED 23 Dec 2016
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI : 23 Dec 2016
Document received At London: 23 Dec 2016
Passport Submitted in person : 03 Jan 2017
Passport and OCI document received : 12 Jan 2017

We were flying out on 18th Jan so was worried if we will get this on time. However, emailing hciLondon they did reply that oci was sent to VFS. Email correspondence was very quick - within 1hour I had a reply and it was clear where the OCI was etc so I would encourage email as a mode of communication with HCI.
I also called them and the lady asked me to send details by email which she would follow up.

Good luck to all who applied for OCI. It would be coming soon!

Now on to packing!

tier1Reading

Post by tier1Reading » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Final Update.

Application submitted on: 11-Nov-2016 (VFS, Hounslow)
Date Of Acknowledgement: 15-Nov-2016
Doc Printing Status PROCESSED: 30-Dec-2016
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI): 30-Dec-2016
Document received at LONDON: 30-Dec-2016
Passport submitted in person: 04-Jan-2017
SMS Confirmation from VFS: 11-Jan-2017
OCI booklet received: 13-Jan-2017 (Missed delivery on 12-Jan)

pkul7de
Newly Registered

Post by pkul7de » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:02 am

SOLVED: Long delay in getting OCI

Hi,

I am a member of immigrationboards since 2010, and used its extensive info from fellow members, for my journey from a normal residing Indian citizen, to Tier-1 General visa in 2010, to ILR in 2015, to finally UK passport and Indian OCI in 2016. I faced some major problems in getting OCI for my family (wife and kid), in spite of complete paperwork and a ‘normal case’. A few months back that problem was solved, and I thought to share that experience and how I got rid of that problem, on the immigrationboards, as I am quite indebted to this board for all the help I had got throughout my journey, just by reading people posting their date updates, and discussing various issues.

If you are not having any OCI issues, you can stop reading here, if you want :) . But if you are facing any long delays in getting OCI (more than average durations posted by other people), then I think this post is a must read for you.

So, I am a family with wife and a kid. We entered UK in 2010 on Tier-1 general visa and my path till UK passport in 2016 was pretty smooth. After that we wanted to move back to India and applied for Indian OCI, where the problem started. We applied on 02-May-2016 at London VFS, for all three of us. Ack date came 03-May. On 25-May, Govt status website updated ‘Documents Printing Status’ to PROCESSED, but only for me. For my wife & kid, it was still showing ‘UNDER PROCESS’.

I came to immigrationboards forum and tried to see the typical timelines. It was perfectly matching for me, and 90% people had got their OCI within those time frames. I thought it will soon be processed for my wife and kid as well, and so I took a bet. My kid’s new school in India was starting in June, so I took a months’ margin from 25-May and booked the tickets for June-end. My OCI arrived in London on 01-June – exact expected timeline. But for my wife& kid, time passed and their OCI status stayed at ‘UNDER PROCESS’. I kept calling VFS but they said application is fine and nothing is asked from HCI, and we just need to wait. Around 20-June, I sort of panicked, and as an emergency measure applied for their 6-months short term Indian visa (mind that our Indian passports were now cancelled, so no other way to enter India).

Within India, we got busy settling and few months passed, but surprisingly their OCI status still stayed at ‘UNDER PROCESS’. Website says that you should get your OCI within 42 days of application, and if there is any delay, they’ll tell the reason. But for us, there was no reason sent, even after 60 days. I kept calling VFS (from India, at 95p per minute), but same response. I went searching for any OCI helpline on India Govt. website, but to my utter surprise, there was not even a single helpline number. There was only one email id mentioned at https://passport.gov.in/oci/helpdesk-oci@gov.in. I sent many mails there, but not even a single reply. Not trusting Govt. now and to avoid the last minute panic again, I tried searching for alternate options.

I discussed with people, and came to know of RTI – which one can put to any Govt. agency, including OCI, and they have to reply in 1 month or some action taken. Since I was an OCI holder (an OCI holder can apply), I put an RTI application to MHA, giving details of my wife & kid’s applications and asking for status. I took help from a private company who charged 200 Rs. to frame a good RTI application (you can find it if you google online rti). In parallel, I kept trying other ways to contact MHA. After 20 days, finally I got a phone list of various ministers and their under-secretaries from MHA website. I started calling them. They picked the phone, but kept on forwarding me to different people, until I reached the person who heads OCI process. I was lucky to be able to talk to him directly, and after listening, he confirmed that my wife & kid’s OCIs had just been released last week. You won’t imagine how much relief I got after hearing those words. When asked for reason for delay, he said there was some internal delay. Within ~10 days, their documents printing status on website was changed to ‘PROCESSED’ and OCIs sent to London.

The story after that is still interesting on how I finally got OCIs in my hand, since I had no plan to go to UK in foreseeable future, and what happened to the RTI application response. But with 99% surety, I could say that their OCIs were unblocked because of the RTI application I had put.

So few things to take away:
- If your OCI processing is taking more time than average, get alerted. There are some dead holes in Govt. systems which, if you are unlucky, end up sucking your application
- Consider putting an RTI application, but only if the delay is more than 42 days. Any Indian passport holder, or OCI holder, can apply it for you. RTI puts a lot of pressure on Govt. agencies. Filing an RTI is simple, thanks to some private companies.
- For OCI there is no helpline number. If you are not getting response on OCI email helpline, and it is more than 42 days of application, try calling phone numbers of MHA website (http://mha.nic.in/sites/upload_files/mh ... ellist.pdf) - see relevant phone numbers there.

Wish you all the best.

Thanks.

pkul7de
Newly Registered

Long delay in getting OCI - SOLVED

Post by pkul7de » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:04 am

Hi,

I am a member of immigrationboards since 2010, and used its extensive info from fellow members, for my journey from a normal residing Indian citizen, to Tier-1 General visa in 2010, to ILR in 2015, to finally UK passport and Indian OCI in 2016. I faced some major problems in getting OCI for my family (wife and kid), in spite of complete paperwork and a ‘normal case’. A few months back that problem was solved, and I thought to share that experience and how I got rid of that problem, on the immigrationboards, as I am quite indebted to this board for all the help I had got throughout my journey, just by reading people posting their date updates, and discussing various issues.

If you are not having any OCI issues, you can stop reading here, if you want :) . But if you are facing any long delays in getting OCI (more than average durations posted by other people), then I think this post is a must read for you.

So, I am a family with wife and a kid. We entered UK in 2010 on Tier-1 general visa and my path till UK passport in 2016 was pretty smooth. After that we wanted to move back to India and applied for Indian OCI, where the problem started. We applied on 02-May-2016 at London VFS, for all three of us. Ack date came 03-May. On 25-May, Govt status website updated ‘Documents Printing Status’ to PROCESSED, but only for me. For my wife & kid, it was still showing ‘UNDER PROCESS’.

I came to immigrationboards forum and tried to see the typical timelines. It was perfectly matching for me, and 90% people had got their OCI within those time frames. I thought it will soon be processed for my wife and kid as well, and so I took a bet. My kid’s new school in India was starting in June, so I took a months’ margin from 25-May and booked the tickets for June-end. My OCI arrived in London on 01-June – exact expected timeline. But for my wife& kid, time passed and their OCI status stayed at ‘UNDER PROCESS’. I kept calling VFS but they said application is fine and nothing is asked from HCI, and we just need to wait. Around 20-June, I sort of panicked, and as an emergency measure applied for their 6-months short term Indian visa (mind that our Indian passports were now cancelled, so no other way to enter India).

Within India, we got busy settling and few months passed, but surprisingly their OCI status still stayed at ‘UNDER PROCESS’. Website says that you should get your OCI within 42 days of application, and if there is any delay, they’ll tell the reason. But for us, there was no reason sent, even after 60 days. I kept calling VFS (from India, at 95p per minute), but same response. I went searching for any OCI helpline on India Govt. website, but to my utter surprise, there was not even a single helpline number. There was only one email id mentioned at https://passport.gov.in/oci/helpdesk-oci@gov.in. I sent many mails there, but not even a single reply. Not trusting Govt. now and to avoid the last minute panic again, I tried searching for alternate options.

I discussed with people, and came to know of RTI – which one can put to any Govt. agency, including OCI, and they have to reply in 1 month or some action taken. Since I was an OCI holder (an OCI holder can apply), I put an RTI application to MHA, giving details of my wife & kid’s applications and asking for status. I took help from a private company who charged 200 Rs. to frame a good RTI application (you can find it if you google online rti). In parallel, I kept trying other ways to contact MHA. After 20 days, finally I got a phone list of various ministers and their under-secretaries from MHA website. I started calling them. They picked the phone, but kept on forwarding me to different people, until I reached the person who heads OCI process. I was lucky to be able to talk to him directly, and after listening, he confirmed that my wife & kid’s OCIs had just been released last week. You won’t imagine how much relief I got after hearing those words. When asked for reason for delay, he said there was some internal delay. Within ~10 days, their documents printing status on website was changed to ‘PROCESSED’ and OCIs sent to London.

The story after that is still interesting on how I finally got OCIs in my hand, since I had no plan to go to UK in foreseeable future, and what happened to the RTI application response. But with 99% surety, I could say that their OCIs were unblocked because of the RTI application I had put.

So few things to take away:
- If your OCI processing is taking more time than average, get alerted. There are some dead holes in Govt. systems which, if you are unlucky, end up sucking your application
- Consider putting an RTI application, but only if the delay is more than 42 days. Any Indian passport holder, or OCI holder, can apply it for you. RTI puts a lot of pressure on Govt. agencies. Filing an RTI is simple, thanks to some private companies.
- For OCI there is no helpline number. If you are not getting response on OCI email helpline, and it is more than 42 days of application, try calling phone numbers of MHA website (http://mha.nic.in/sites/upload_files/mh ... ellist.pdf) - see relevant phone numbers there.

Wish you all the best.

Thanks.

brynsadler
Newly Registered

Post by brynsadler » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:22 am

Application Date :18-11-2016
VFS Center: Cardiff
Date of acknowledgement : 22-11-2016
Original docs Received : few days later
Documents Printing Status : Processed :05-01-2017
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI : 05-01-2017
Document received At London: 05-01-2017
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON: 06-01-2017
PASSPORT AND OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED :Waiting

Been 11 Days since I Submillted My Passport. Is this usual? Please someone with a similar experince please share. Got my travel booked on 27th.

many thanks
regards
B

tjoseph
Newly Registered

Post by tjoseph » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:07 pm

haiksuresh wrote:Hi,
Could some one plz confirm on the below OCI check list.

1) British Passport [Original] + 2 copies self attested
2) Naturalisation Certificate [Original] + 2 copies self attested
3) Surrender Certificate [Original] + 2 copies self attested
5) 2 Photos.
6) Upload scanned copy of Photo and signature , British Passport+ Naturalisation Certificate self attested pdf file , Indian passport + Surrender Certificate self attested pdf file.
8) Two Royal Mail special delivery envelopes.

Please correct me if i miss anything.

Regards,
Suresh
I submitted my application on 11th Jan at VFS Goswell road office.

For initial submission:
1) British Passport [Original] + 1 copy self attested - original passport would be returned.
2) Naturalisation Certificate [Original] + 1 copy self attested
3) Surrender Certificate [Original] + 1 copy self attested
5) 2 Photos.
6) Upload scanned copy of Photo and signature , British Passport+ Naturalisation Certificate self attested pdf file , Indian passport + Surrender Certificate self attested pdf file. - without this you wouldn't be able to print the filled in application form
8) One Royal Mail special delivery envelope - the second one would be returned and you would be asked you bring it along with you the second time to go in to submit the passport.

Carry a pen with you, as they will ask you to sign the application form, once again.

GB85
Newly Registered

Post by GB85 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:19 am

Final update
GB85 wrote:Application Date :27-10-2016
VFS Center: London-Goswell Road
Date of acknowledgement : 28-10-2016
Original docs Received : few days later
Documents Printing Status : 15-12-2016
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI : 16-12-2016
Document received At London: 16-12-2016
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON: 10-01-2017
TEXT MESSAGE RECEIVED: 13-01-2017
PASSPORT AND OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED :16-01-2017 (via DX)
Thank you everyone for all the advise and support through the process. :)

szj
Newly Registered

Post by szj » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Application Date :13-01-2017
VFS Center: Leicester
Date of acknowledgement : 17-01-2017
Original docs Received :
Documents Printing Status :
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI :
Document received At London:
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON:
TEXT MESSAGE RECEIVED:
PASSPORT AND OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED :

KeepCalm4OCI
Newly Registered

Post by KeepCalm4OCI » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Application Date : 05-10-2016
VFS Center: London Goswell Road
Date of acknowledgement : 06-10-2016
Original docs Received : 17-10-2016
Documents Printing Status : 01/12/2016
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI :02-12-2016
Document received At London: 02-12-2016
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON 13-12-2016
PASSPORT AND OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED : 21/12/2016

Good Luck it is time consuming :roll: .

amitpatel1185
Newly Registered

Post by amitpatel1185 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:58 am

My Wife OCI application
Application Date : 29 Dec 2016
VFS Center: London Goswell
Date of acknowledgement : Dont know
Original docs Received : 10 Jan 2017
Documents Printing Status: : PROCESSED 20 Jan 2017
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI : 20 Jan 2017

Document received At London: 20 Jan 2017
Passport Submitted in person : Tomorrow

Super fast. Great Service. Its far better than UKBA.

skreddy

Post by skreddy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi,

Has anyone applied for OCI at Edinburgh VFS last week?
I have applied on 13th Jan, but didn't get my Originals back yet and online status is not updated either, which is saying 'No such record found'.

Thank you

newbie0203
India

Post by newbie0203 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:31 pm

skreddy wrote:Hi,

Has anyone applied for OCI at Edinburgh VFS last week?
I have applied on 13th Jan, but didn't get my Originals back yet and online status is not updated either, which is saying 'No such record found'.

Thank you
I applied on 16th in VFS Goswell and got the documents today. Might take a bit ore time for you as all applications are sent to London for initial processing.

skreddy

Post by skreddy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanks for the update Newbie0203.
I rang the Edinburgh Consulate yesterday, was told that they have a huge backlog of applications and processing December applications, so the whole process taking 4 months now. But I don't think that delay is happening in other consulates. I have seen some posts here, from Birmingham and London they got their docs back, though they applied after me.

skreddy

Post by skreddy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:54 am

Hi ssathish315,

Did you get your originals back yet?

Thanks

Uday27
Newly Registered

Post by Uday27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Application Date :19-01-2017
VFS Center: London-Goswell Road
Date of acknowledgement : 20-01-2017
Original docs Received : 27-01-2017
Documents Printing Status : LONDON- UNDER PROCESS
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI :
Document received At London:
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON:
PASSPORT AND OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED

skreddy

Post by skreddy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:49 am

Hi,
Just an FYI. May be useful for you.
I got the below reply from Edinburgh Consulate on 27/01/2017.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Dear Applicant,

Greetings from Consulate General of India, Edinburgh.

We are looking at applications dated 28/11/2016 which are for online documents checking as per new procedure.

Once your application turn is up and if we need to contact you we will write to you.

You may continue to check at https://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnquiry

Also note as we are dealing with a number of incomplete applications delays are expected so no travel plans should be planned
until all is clear or for any emergency travel a short visa may be applied which is issued in 3 days’ time.

Regards,

OCI team
CGI Edinburgh
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

ssathish315
Newly Registered

Post by ssathish315 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:08 pm

skreddy wrote:Hi ssathish315,

Did you get your originals back yet?

Thanks
Hi skreddy

I did not get any news from vfs or indian embassy
Still waiting.

I checked today and can see "no such record found". I don't know what this means and I was looking for some useful message like "application accepted" or something like that...

Thanks,
Sathish

skreddy

Post by skreddy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi Sathish,

Yes exactly, I was looking for the same. How do we know, at least the application with them (reached safely from VFS). I asked this the lady who attended my call at CGI Edinburgh , she was simply saying if I submitted my application at VFS then definitely it would be delivered to them.
Those applied from other Missions they are getting acknowledgement and originals back, I don't know what's going on at CGI Edinburgh. I was told they are still processing the November 2016 applications based on a new procedure (I don't know about it).
Thinking to call IHC London.
If in case, didn't get any information from IHC London, thinking to tweet Sushma ji.

Please keep posting if you had any update on your application.

Thank you.
SK

ssathish315
Newly Registered

Post by ssathish315 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:09 pm

skreddy wrote:Hi Sathish,

Yes exactly, I was looking for the same. How do we know, at least the application with them (reached safely from VFS). I asked this the lady who attended my call at CGI Edinburgh , she was simply saying if I submitted my application at VFS then definitely it would be delivered to them.
Those applied from other Missions they are getting acknowledgement and originals back, I don't know what's going on at CGI Edinburgh. I was told they are still processing the November 2016 applications based on a new procedure (I don't know about it).
Thinking to call IHC London.
If in case, didn't get any information from IHC London, thinking to tweet Sushma ji.

Please keep posting if you had any update on your application.

Thank you.
SK

Hi SkReddy,

One of my friend applied Nov 1st week in VFS Edinburgh. They got a status "documents received at Edinburgh" last week.
So it took almost 2 months for processing for their application.

By the way, I am going to call VFS today evening to know some status. Hope to get some useful answer.

Just to let you know that I had applied OCI for my son in London in 2015. It was exactly processed in 4 weeks.
I think Edinburgh is slow.........

Thanks,
Sathish

somjan
Newly Registered

Post by somjan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Hell guys,
I applied in VFS edinburgh in 1 week of November. I recived reply same way.
I got my documents back after 42 days and once I recived my originals, my online status started appearing. my timeline for your reference:
VFS Center: Edinburgh
Mission: Edinburgh
Application Date: 06/11/2016
Date of Acknowledgement: 20/12/2016
Original docs Received: 20/12/2016
Documents Printing Status: Pending

Regards,
Somjan.

passportguy
Newly Registered
India

Post by passportguy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi pkul7de,

I read your long post and I am really happy you got there. I am very curious to know how you got your OCI in the end.

"The story after that is still interesting on how I finally got OCIs in my hand, since I had no plan to go to UK in foreseeable future, "

Please can you let me know as I might have to do the same?

Thanks.

skreddy

Post by skreddy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi Sathish,

I had applied for my elder one year ago in Edinburgh, got it in a month. But, now they are following NEW procedure as they said. I don't know is it any pilot procedure at CGI Edinburgh.

Thank you,
SK