ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA (EFM) - Can I get my passport back in 1 month?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rubyfromcanada
Newly Registered

EEA (EFM) - Can I get my passport back in 1 month?

Post by rubyfromcanada » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:31 pm

Hello!

Firstly, this board is really great and has answered many of my questions so far.... And I've had a lot. Sorry if I haven't been able to find a thread which answers my latest question.

This is my current status:
- Canadian, in UK under a Tier 5 YMS Visa which expires in June 2017
- In order to stay beyond this I am going the EEA (EFM) route, sponsored through my French boyfriend
- My partner is a 'qualified person' though does not have any certificate stating that (I was told this was not necessary, so long as my application includes a letter from his employer/proof of his salary etc)
- We have been living together since September 2014 (in Hong Kong), moved to UK together in May 2015
- I believe I have sufficient proof that we are in a 'lasting relationship' (joint bank account with a few letters addressed to both of us, both names on 2 successive tenancy agreements, mail addressed to either one of us - separately - to the same address) so I'm not too worried about this.

I feel confident now, but it waivers often as I think up new ways that my application could get rejected. Anyways, firstly I'm wondering if the above list of facts sounds safe-ish (just to ease my mind!)

Secondly, I am concerned about the lead time for the application and how long the Home Office will keep our passports. I will need my passport for at the end of February, and we will both need ours around mid-April. I read it is possible to request passports back 4 weeks after payment is received, so my goal is to send out the application beginning of March and request the passports back as soon possible. Is there a high chance they would want to keep our passports for longer, and therefore screwing up travel plans?

I know my post is not as urgent as others, so I'm thankful to whoever's out there who can help with my questions!

noajthan

Re: EEA (EFM) - Can I get my passport back in 1 month?

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Welcome.
Every post is precious here.

You need to show you are in a durable and subsisting relationship akin to marriage and have been so for 2 years plus.
With good if not unimpeachable supporting evidence.

Suggest boost the evidence of relationship, especially when you were living outside UK;
world travellers' evidence in these types of cases is sometimes patchy as they tend to travel light and not to plan ahead to meet such requirements.

And as an unmarried partner you probably won't get any right to work confirmed until you have the EFM RC issued.
So it would be prudent to plan accordingly, especially if your finances take a hit.

Regarding travel plans, you may or may not get your passport back.
Don't bank on it - again suggest plan accordingly.

Remember if your application fails you may find yourself in the uncomfortable position of being an overstayer.
Dealing with HO certainly lets you know you are 'alive' doesn't it.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

rubyfromcanada
Newly Registered

Post by rubyfromcanada » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi noajthan - thanks so much for getting back to my question!

Wish I'd seen it earlier (clearly not very good with forums...)

Very good to hear your thoughts - though they definitely don't ease my mind. I suppose it's what I already knew and was just trying to be more optimistic about the situation otherwise I wouldn't sleep until I got the RC!

As an update, my application was received by HO on March 1st, still waiting for the biometrics invitation. I've included a few more bits of post from our time living together outside of the UK, though we didn't have much there. It's the best we've got! Fingers and toes crossed...

I've also just sent in a request this morning to get our passports back. Nothing else I could do in this situation unfortunately. Hope it won't be an issue requesting them back before I've even received the biometrics invitation.

Your last point definitely sounds uncomfortable and I really hope it doesn't come to that :shock:

Thanks again!!

Fiona123
Newly Registered

Post by Fiona123 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi rubyfromcanada

Curious to know if you got your passports back OK?

I am applying for EEA (EFM) visa, you need to leave the UK and then would like to return, however it is likely I will not have a RC by this time. Does any one know if that is possible, or on requesting my passport back will I need to cancel my application?

jjlahoud
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by jjlahoud » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:38 pm

Hi

I am interested in the response to this question.

I have sent off my application today however have already booked travel on the 24th March. I was wondering if you can request your passport back mid application?

dan1988uk
Member of Standing
Italy

Post by dan1988uk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:55 pm

jjlahoud wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:38 pm
Hi

I am interested in the response to this question.

I have sent off my application today however have already booked travel on the 24th March. I was wondering if you can request your passport back mid application?
Hello, why you didn't open an your own topic? Anyway you should be able to enroll biometrics and receive CoA before the 24th of March, but I am not sure about the residence card (it will take up to 6 months, even if some people, including my wife, received it in 3 - 3 1/2 months). It is advisable not to travel only with CoA expecially if you are a visa citizen because it will be hard to go back to the UK.