ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Failed to Report Changes to the Police

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

I4505
Newly Registered

Failed to Report Changes to the Police

Post by I4505 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:35 pm

I am little panicked because I discovered just yesterday that I failed to report many things to the police. When I arrived here, I studied at a Pre-university School, and as far as I remember, the school and the police officer that came to the school to register us, told us to report to the police about any changes of adresse. I am not sure if they mentioned anything about other changes. I had a different tier 4 visa than the one I have now, a different passport, and I was single (now married).

Now, I changed my adresse and brought my tier 4 dependent, I went to the website to book an appointment for here to register for the first time, and for me to report the change of the address. Then, I read that I should also report about any changes in the visa, the marital statue or the passport (also find out it is written at the back of the police certificate). I made all these changes, some of them two years ago, but because I did not know at the time, I didn't tell the police. I read also that there is a fine of 5,000£ if you fail to report them within 7 days!

I booked an appointment for the 25th of January (next week) to update the police about these changes. But I am worried that they will not take it as a honest mistake and that there will be consequences. What do you suggest I do?

Thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Failed to Report Changes to the Police

Post by sah10406 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:39 am

I4505 wrote:I booked an appointment for the 25th of January (next week) to update the police about these changes. But I am worried that they will not take it as a honest mistake and that there will be consequences. What do you suggest I do?
Explain and apologise. It is unlikely to have any consequences other than them telling you off.

However it is still a breach of your immigration conditions to not keep your Police Registration Certificate up to date, just as if you were working illegally or claiming Public Funds you were not entitled to, so you do need to take it more seriously in future.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

I4505
Newly Registered

Post by I4505 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:58 am

sah10406 wrote: Explain and apologise. It is unlikely to have any consequences other than them telling you off.

However it is still a breach of your immigration conditions to not keep your Police Registration Certificate up to date, just as if you were working illegally or claiming Public Funds you were not entitled to, so you do need to take it more seriously in future.
I just didn't know. If I knew I would've of course take it seriously. I will explain to them next week. I am still a little bit worried as I am not sure to what degree it is unlikely. I am in my final year I don't won't a mistake like this to stand in the way of finishing my degree.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:18 am

I4505 wrote:I just didn't know. If I knew I would've of course take it seriously.
So in order to help you I am going to play devil's advocate here and give you a reality check.

I am not sure "I just didn't know" will get you much sympathy at the police station. You will need to accept a bit more responsibility for your negligence here.

When you receive a BRP as extension of Tier 4 leave, it includes an instruction to update your Police Registration Certificate if you have one. As you say, the certificate itself also includes instructions on how to keep it up to date and what needs to be updated. Plus I'm sure your university explained it in their orientation for new students too.

No one expects you to have instant total recall of those things, but in order to "just not know", you must have never read the information that came with your BRP, not read the certificate itself, and not listened to or read your university's advice.

I would advise your tone at the police station is not that you "just didn't know" or that it is not your fault, but rather that you screwed up, you didn't pay attention to your obligations, you are sorry, and that you have learned from your mistakes.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

I4505
Newly Registered

Post by I4505 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:33 am

sah10406 wrote: So in order to help you I am going to play devil's advocate here and give you a reality check.
Thanks, I appreciate your help. But it is not a devil's advocate case here. And I will take your advice I tell your story, as my story does not seem realistic, but I stand corrected. I DID NOT KNOW. I've never done something illegal in my life and I don't neglect these things. When I registered first time, I was in an English Preparation School (I didn't understand very good what is written in official documents, I did what I've been told to do), then I went to university as a PhD student so I'm not often in a classrooms (or around other students) where advices are given.

Thanks again.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:42 am

I4505 wrote:
sah10406 wrote: So in order to help you I am going to play devil's advocate here and give you a reality check.
thanks, I appreciate your help. But helping me does not give you the right to refer to me (even indirectly) as the devil.
I was not calling you a devil! If I "play devil's advocate" it means I am pretending to argue against you, in order to help you test the strength of your own argument. If there is a devil, it is the Home Office because I am pretending to be their advocate.

Good luck. I advise you ask your university's International Student Adviser for advice about this. They are sure to have dealt with it before.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:45 am

I4505 wrote:
Thanks, I appreciate your help. But it is not a devil's advocate case here. And I will take your advice I tell your story, as my story does not seem realistic, but I stand corrected. I DID NOT KNOW. I've never done something illegal in my life and I don't neglect these things. When I registered first time, I was in an English Preparation School (I didn't understand very good what is written in official documents, I did what I've been told to do), then I went to university as a PhD student so I'm not often in a classrooms (or around other students) where advices are given.

Thanks again.
Take it easy.

You have completely misunderstood a classic English idiom:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... s-advocate

You would be well advised to take such immigration matters (compliance with immigtration control and observing terms of leave) much more seriously or you are likely to find your stay in UK may turn into just a visit.
And as a PhD student you should have the wit and ability to take responsibility for such matters in a proactive way.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

I4505
Newly Registered

Post by I4505 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:48 am

sah10406 wrote:
I4505 wrote:
thanks, I appreciate your help. But helping me does not give you the right to refer to me (even indirectly) as the devil.
I was not calling you a devil! If I "play devil's advocate" it means I am pretending to argue against you, in order to help you test the strength of your own argument. If there is a devil, it is the Home Office because I am pretending to be their advocate.

Good luck. I advise you ask your university's International Student Adviser for advice about this. They are sure to have dealt with it before.
I apologise then. I am still not very familiar with all English idioms. Thanks again for your help.

ni2652
Newly Registered

Post by ni2652 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:22 pm

I4505 wrote:I45
I have the same situation as you and tomorrow I will go to police to update my address. But before that, I wonder if you had updated your address? Mind to share the outcome?

Thanks