ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Old style Residence Permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

catalz
Newly Registered

Old style Residence Permit

Post by catalz » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:28 am

Hey guys needed to get some clarification on how best to proceed what with this brexit looming over my head.

Portuguese national been living in the UK from 1996 and applied for a Residence Permit for a National of a Member State of the EEC in 2003, that was granted and had an expiry date of 2008.

Unfortunately at the time my mother was diagnosed with Lupus and cervical cancer in 2008, and I had forgotten to renew the permit, I ended up leaving the UK and going to care for her at the end of 2008.

I came back in 2010 for a few months but her condition deteriorated and subsequently left the UK again to help her.

She eventually succumbed to her illness and passed on early last year. I returned back to the UK December 2016 and am actively looking for a job.

I am not claiming any benefits have always paid my taxes and never had any run in with the law.

My question is basically where do I stand now that it expired and wasn't renewed, if I try and apply I am currently unemployed and concerned that will work against me.

Basically what is the best route to have my permit renewed with the purpose of applying for my British Citizenship in the end.

Thank you so much.

MrSlyFox

Re: Old style Residence Permit

Post by MrSlyFox » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:35 am

I'm sorry but any permanent residence you had would have been lost by your absence of over two years. You would have to be a qualified person again and apply for a registration certificate (you don't have too but with Brexit).
https://www.gov.uk/eea-registration-certificate
Then five years of being a qualified person you get Permanent Residence, which you can apply for proof of that then after a year of holding permanent residence you may apply for citizenship.