ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

travelling without a brp card

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

totorototoro
Newly Registered

travelling without a brp card

Post by totorototoro » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:20 am

Hey all,

I'm currently an undergraduate student at a university in london, and I lost both of my passports (U.S/South Korean) and my BRP card (which contains my visa) abroad in Spain yesterday. The problem is, I have to travel again with my family tomorrow to Paris, and I'm worried about if I'll be able to return back to London (through St.Pancras station) without the brp card. I managed to obtain an emergency american passport, and the border control at gatwick airport did let me through after just scanning my fingerprints and checking my previous (lost) american passport. Do you think the process will be similar to when I return to london from paris? I've tried to obtain the BRP replacement visa (which is used for returning to the uk once only) but to do that, I need to put in a new updated CAS number- and being the holidays-my university is closed...Does anyone have any input in this situation? Should I just risk it and go to paris, and return (hopefully)? My visa doesn't expire until June 2018.

noajthan

Re: travelling without a brp card

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:36 am

Have you made it back to UK one time already?
If so perhaps count blessings and sit tight.
It may be viewed as irresponsible to travel out again.

But if still somewhere in Europe...

Suggest contact UK immigration at UK arrival point to advise you are coming 'in from the cold'.

As well as any scans/copies of id/passports/BRP do you have proof of student status and residence in UK?

Any contact details for international student office at Uni (who can vouch for you)?
- tricky at new year ofcourse.

Presumably you can get in and out of France and to UK border on that US passport.
But don't get stamped into UK as a visitor.

Throw yourself on mercy of UK IOs.
Expect delay and questions.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

totorototoro
Newly Registered

Post by totorototoro » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:43 am

hi there, thanks for your reply!

Yes, I have returned to the UK once since losing my brp card,

I do have my previous UCAS statement, scans of (both) of my lost passports, my brp, and a letter from the government to my address in london. Hopefully, I'll be able to get through because the officer at gatwick airport did put in some initials below the entrance stamp that my visa was in my previous (lost) passport. Thanks for the help!!
Last edited by totorototoro on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:51 am

So you appear to have made it back into the UK without your BRP once already.

As noajthan has already commented...you may not be so fortunate if you attempt it for a second time. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:41 pm

totorototoro wrote:I've tried to obtain the BRP replacement visa (which is used for returning to the uk once only) but to do that, I need to put in a new updated CAS number- and being the holidays-my university is closed...Does anyone have any input in this situation?
You should apply for a single use BRP visa in order to return to the UK. This does not require a new CAS.

UKCISA explains the process here:
http://ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advic ... layer-6156
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

totorototoro
Newly Registered

Post by totorototoro » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:14 pm

Hi all, thanks for all of your suggestions!

I've just gone to the link that everyone has posted- to apply for the BRP replacement visa, but it just redirects me to the main online visa application website that I've used before, and the options are: standard visitor visa, marriage visitor visa, permitted paid engagement visa, other visas - including study, work, and parent of a tier 4 child. I've selected the option - other visas- and gone through the regular visa application procedure again but I can't seem to find the option of a BRP replacement visa. I've completed the application and it finally brings me to where I can collect the regular BRP card at the post office- but that would probably take more than a few days..any idea where the brp replacement section is?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:18 pm

You seem to be trying to make a whole new Tier 4 application, not a replacement BRP application. Look again at the information from UKCISA I posted previously. It explains what options you should select for a replacement BRP application.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

totorototoro
Newly Registered

Post by totorototoro » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:15 pm

thank you! i've finally found the brp replacement visa section, thanks all! :D

totorototoro
Newly Registered

Post by totorototoro » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:16 am

hey everyone, so I've finally managed to submit my BRP replacement visa application and I've also set up the appointment to visit the visa application center in Paris (where I'm travelling to) but I'm worried about how long it generally takes to receive the BRP replacement visa, would I be stretching it to think I could receive it in a day?

totorototoro
Newly Registered

failed to report to local police when losing brp card abroad

Post by totorototoro » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:23 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience, or know what the best option is for my situation?

I recently lost both my passports (Dual citizenship: usa/south korea) and my brp visa card (containing my tier 4 student visa) abroad while travelling in spain. The day I realized I lost all of these documents, I forgot to report to the local police about my lost brp card, but I did sign a police report at the US embassy for the american passport I lost. I had no trouble entering the UK from spain (the first time w/o a brp card), but a few days later I had to go to a family trip to Paris, so now at the moment I have an appointment tomorrow in Paris at the visa application center for a BRP replacement visa (to use once to return to the UK). Would it be a huge problem if i'm missing the police report for the brp card? I've already informed the BRP management services that I've lost my brp card...

And how would I go about obtaining a police report for the lost brp card when I am no longer in that country (which was Spain)? I've researched about the police report and it seems that the only option was to acquire the report while still in the country. Surely there must be another option as people could have lost their brp cards at airports/or on planes- which makes it difficult to obtain a official police report. any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:38 pm

This shouldn't be a problem as you've notified BRP Management Services.

However, have you been told that the replacement BRP will be ready for collection in Paris? TLS are only UKVI Handling Agents and visas & travel documents aren't issued by them. Your application will be forwarded to the UKVI for processing.

Also note that your will be issued with a BRP visa to enable you to enter the UK only once (£189). When you are back in the UK you will then have to apply for a replacement BRP (£56).
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

totorototoro
Newly Registered

Post by totorototoro » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:52 pm

hey casa, i think the brp is collected at the visa centre in Paris not 100% sure though.. :shock: - i've just checked the website and in their procedures it seems to be that the uk sends back the passport-which is part of the requirement for the brp replacement visa..and they should send the brp replacement visa to paris? as I can not return to the UK without it??

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:57 pm

totorototoro wrote:hey casa, i think the brp is collected at the visa centre in Paris not 100% sure though.. :shock: - i've just checked the website and in their procedures it seems to be that the uk sends back the passport-which is part of the requirement for the brp replacement visa..and they should send the brp replacement visa to paris? as I can not return to the UK without it??
That's also my understanding. You may have to prepare yourself for an extended holiday in Paris.

Also your previous entry into the UK without your BRP will be recorded on the UKVI system. They may query why you have travelled again without first obtaining a replacement. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

totorototoro
Newly Registered

Post by totorototoro » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:33 pm

oh boy..yes I'll definitely have to prepare for all the questions at the border..such a shame i had to lose both my passports and brp card on the same day :cry: but thanks anyway for your help casa!

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:48 pm

totorototoro wrote:oh boy..yes I'll definitely have to prepare for all the questions at the border..such a shame i had to lose both my passports and brp card on the same day :cry: but thanks anyway for your help casa!
The questions may be raised before the BRP visa is issued.
(Casa, not CR001)

keysersoze22

Post by keysersoze22 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Without meaning to sound like I am kicking you when you are down, I am hoping you'll learn to not travel without your BRP or lose things. Very careless. Be assured though, most Universities are open as of tomorrow, so if you are planning on travelling back you should do it tomorrow and notify your international advisors - they'll probably have to speak to border force.

totorototoro
Newly Registered

Post by totorototoro » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:39 pm

hey there, thanks for the suggestion! I wish I would have thought of that sooner but unfortunately I've already applied and had my passport sent for decision, so it wouldn't be an option for me to travel back anymore without a passport and brp card. I'm regretting this whole situation right now, on the bright side if there is anyone reading this thread it would definitely be a good reminder for anyone to really take care of their brp card to avoid this hell hole I'm in haha, but happy new years everyone! here's to 2017, where hopefully I wont (and anyone else) have to go through this ever again in my life.

keysersoze22

Post by keysersoze22 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:46 pm

Would still advise to call them tomorrow. It'll be open 9-5 - you can liaise with your International Advisors about your situation. You just need to avoid any chance at the visitor stamp mentioned previously - and they're the best placed to help you. Good luck.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:49 pm

And what a story to regale buddies with when safely back.
You will laugh about it - one day.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

totorototoro
Newly Registered

Post by totorototoro » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:03 pm

thanks keysersoze22, I'll definitely give that a try tomorrow- wouldn't hurt to try my luck!

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:24 pm

totorototoro wrote:thanks keysersoze22, I'll definitely give that a try tomorrow- wouldn't hurt to try my luck!
If you've handed your passport into TLS you'll obviously have to remain in Paris until that comes back from the UKVI. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

totorototoro
Newly Registered

Post by totorototoro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:15 pm

Quick update: I finally made it back to the UK last week! :shock:

Just thought I'd share the processing time as it could be helpful for anyone in a similar situation!

So I applied for the BRP replacement visa in Paris on January 1st online, and selected the options: walk in appointment (which lets you submit your application first thing in the morning *in person*), and the priority visa (which says it will be processed within 5 working days). That came up to be 233 euros total (for the added services), not even including the cost (231 euros) to apply for the replacement visa itself. Then I went to hand in the application on January 2nd with the supporting documents: student status letter from the university, UCAS statement, copies of my receipt showing proof of payment, my tuberculosis test results (which was required as I was living in South Korea before for a few years..), copies of my previous lost US passport, and my BRP card. And I finally received the email from the visa center in Paris that it was ready to be collected on January 10th. So it took 6 days, not 5 days but it wasn't so bad.

There's also the super priority service, which crunches down all the waiting time to just 24 hours but that option will cost around 900 euros.

All in all, If I could have made a smarter decision I would have just applied for the super priority service because then you wouldn't have to pay for a new return train ticket, not to mention costs for staying at hostels/hotels and food..but hope the info was helpful anyway!