ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

German Citizenship query

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rsbhj
Newly Registered

German Citizenship query

Post by rsbhj » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:32 pm

I am looking to see if I can obtain German citizenship through my mother via my grandfather.

My grandfather was born in 1922 in what was East Germany. He later moved to Britain where he met my grandmother and married, then they both went to Canada and returned to the UK. He was naturalised in 1974 (British Citizen). He later died in 1977

My mother was born 1952 during my grandparents time in Canada and holds Canadian and British citizenship, as she was a minor in 1969 she wasn’t naturalised but obtained British Citizenship then.

I hold British citizenship from birth and I obtained Canadian citizenship a few years ago through descent of my mother.

Firstly can my mother claim her German citizenship through her father?

Secondly if the above answer is yes, can I claim this through my mother?

rsbhj
Newly Registered

Re: German Citizenship query

Post by rsbhj » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:11 pm

The below statements I found are suggesting my mother is, but as my grandfather was naturlised does the below still apply.

Children born in wedlock between Jan. 1, 1914 and Dec. 31, 1974, acquired German citizenship only if the father was a German citizen at the time of their birth.

The below statement would then suggest I am if the above applies.

Children born in wedlock after Jan. 1, 1975, acquired German citizenship if one of the parents was a German citizen at the time of their birth.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:50 pm

rsbhj wrote:I am looking to see if I can obtain German citizenship through my mother via my grandfather.

My grandfather was born in 1922 in what was East Germany. He later moved to Britain where he met my grandmother and married, then they both went to Canada and returned to the UK. He was naturalised in 1974 (British Citizen). He later died in 1977

My mother was born 1952 during my grandparents time in Canada and holds Canadian and British citizenship, as she was a minor in 1969 she wasn’t naturalised but obtained British Citizenship then.

I hold British citizenship from birth and I obtained Canadian citizenship a few years ago through descent of my mother.

Firstly can my mother claim her German citizenship through her father?

Secondly if the above answer is yes, can I claim this through my mother?

It looks like your mother was born a triple national - British through her mother, German through her father and Canadian by being born there.

Does she have any documents from her father? Birth certificate? Naturalisation certificate? Old German passport?

First she would have to get her German passport and then you should be able to apply for your own as you would also be German by birth through her.

I'd make an appointment at your nearest German Embassy or Consulate for passport application, gather all documents you have and take every scrap of paper with you to the appointment. They are usually very nice and helpful there.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

rsbhj
Newly Registered

Post by rsbhj » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi

Yes my mother has his birth certificate and naturalisation certificate.

I will look into making an appointment as April appears to be the earliest. Does she need to apply for an ID card first as looking at the passport checklist you need either an old passport and/or ID card.

I think she may have to make 2 appointments first for ID card then second for passport, then same for me once she has completed hers.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:42 pm

rsbhj wrote:Hi

Yes my mother has his birth certificate and naturalisation certificate.

I will look into making an appointment as April appears to be the earliest. Does she need to apply for an ID card first as looking at the passport checklist you need either an old passport and/or ID card.

I think she may have to make 2 appointments first for ID card then second for passport, then same for me once she has completed hers.

That would be a question to ask the Embassy (try to give the Consular Section a call? Or better email and get a response in writing), as she never had a German passport before and hasn't lived in Germany over the age of 16, when an ID card would have been mandatory. If you live outside Germany, an ID card is now optional, it used to be that one had to surrender it when moving out of the country.

Having both an ID card and a passport is a good idea in general, though, as it is both official picture ID and you can use the ID card to travel within Europe.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

rsbhj
Newly Registered

Post by rsbhj » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:09 pm

So it looks like my mother will have this but will make an appointment.

Would there then be any issues with me applying, from the info I have supplied?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:32 pm

rsbhj wrote:So it looks like my mother will have this but will make an appointment.

Would there then be any issues with me applying, from the info I have supplied?

There shouldn't be a problem if you can establish that your mother is a German national by birth.