ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiancé visa application - does this sound ok?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Intrepid
Newly Registered

How hard will it be?

Post by Intrepid » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Hi all,

I'm soon to be getting first hand experience of the visa application process. I've read some horror stories and seen some people recommending getting a lawyer or other professional help. I wanted to get an idea as to whether my situation was particularly complex... and then whether I should entertain seeking professional help.

In a nut shell:

- Fiance is a US citizen. We have been together over a year - and when we make our application, that'll be closer to two years.
- We lived in London together for the first 6 months of our relationship.
- Since she has been in the States, I have visited her 4 times, staying with her family. We have some pictures and other documentary proof of this. She is due to visit me soon, and I'll be going over there again before the application is made.
- We talk via watsapp and Skype everyday. We write letters and send cards/presents.
- My income is well over the minimum required.

So from what I can see, we meet what is asked. The only issue might be accommodation - I'm in a rented place, but my landlord has said he'd confirm he's happy for her to move in.

And I know that proof that we plan to marry is needed - which shouldn't be a problem.

Is anything bad or potentially troubling jumping out to anyone?

Best,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: How hard will it be?

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:04 pm

Accommodation is fine. There is no requirement that you have to OWN the property.

If you meet the £18,600pa income requirement for at least 6 months, then fine.

As she is a US citizen, she is exempt from the English language requirement.

Assuming you are applying for a 6 month Fiance visa, cost of £1,195, your partner should have health/travel insurance as partner won't be covered by the NHS while on a Fiance visa. Fiance also cannot work in this first 6 month period.

You don't need a solicitor. It is not a difficult application to make if you meet the requirements and have all the documents needed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Intrepid
Newly Registered

Post by Intrepid » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:07 pm

CR001 wrote:Accommodation is fine. There is no requirement that you have to OWN the property.

If you meet the £18,600pa income requirement for at least 6 months, then fine.

As she is a US citizen, she is exempt from the English language requirement.

Assuming you are applying for a 6 month Fiance visa, cost of £1,195, your partner should have health/travel insurance as partner won't be covered by the NHS while on a Fiance visa. Fiance also cannot work in this first 6 month period.

You don't need a solicitor. It is not a difficult application to make if you meet the requirements and have all the documents needed.
Thanks for getting back to me. I initially felt that I/we seemed to tick the boxes. But then I did the immigration equivalent of googling medical symptoms... and started wondering.

Thanks again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Why would you google medical symptoms for a visa application?? :shock:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:13 pm

CR001 wrote:Why would you google medical symptoms for a visa application?? :shock:
The 'equivalent' Char. We've all googled our aches & pains and been scared witless, haven't we? :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:15 pm

Casa wrote:
CR001 wrote:Why would you google medical symptoms for a visa application?? :shock:
The 'equivalent' Char. We've all googled our aches & pains and been scared witless, haven't we? :wink:
Been a long day!! Or I should put my reading glasses on and not read IB with my far sighted glasses!! Should probably go to bed :shock: :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:17 pm

"Time for bed" said Zebedee :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:27 pm

CR001 wrote:
Casa wrote:
Been a long day!! Or I should put my reading glasses on and not read IB with my far sighted glasses!! Should probably go to bed :shock: :wink:
I have had some 'floaters' in my eyes for quite a while now, thanks to Google I managed to convince myself I had Lyme's disease....

Doc not convinced though, just age get used it lol!

Predates Google though, when I was a kid my parents had a Pears Encyclopaedia dated 1954 that included a Medical Dictionary and my mother convinced herself then she had all sorts of life-threatening illnesses. Useful for me though, taught me a lot about women's 'parts' that served me well over my adolescence.

I've also got a book my Dad borrowed from High Street Library, Bolton in 1963 thats need to be returned, a car mechanics book, I fear the fine would bankrupt me if library fines are passed on, old fella popped his clogs on 2000, miss the old bugger.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Intrepid
Newly Registered

Fiancé visa application - does this sound ok?

Post by Intrepid » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:07 pm

So my fiancé and myself are just about ready to submit her application. She's a US citizen and I'm a UK citizen.

I just wanted to run through the stuff we're submitting to make sure it sounds about right. Hope that's ok!

We have the application form and Appendix 2 as well as biometrics stuff. Supporting documents wise:

- Letter from applicant
- Letter from confirming A&E treatment received by applicant
- Letter from myself (sponsor)
- Copy of my passport

Financial Requirment
- 6 months payslips and letter from employer
- 6 months bank statements (originals and one partial statement printed by a branch with a letter from the bank)
- P60

Accommodation
- Tenancy agreement and letter from the landlord saying it's all good for my fiancé to live there

Relationship
- Photo's of us together
- Invoices for flight tickets, boarding passes and stamps in passports showing visits to each other
- Skype call logs and some screenshots of Skype
- Screenshot of our engagement announcement on Facebook

Intent to marry
- Booking confirmation from wedding venue and a letter from the venue thanking us for selecting them
- Email from registrar confirming appointment to give notice

We've included the hospital letter just to confirm that it was A&E treatment that was given - so no charge due.

We have about 16 pictures together. Most are just the two of us... but quite clearly in different places and at different seasons. So I think they should be enough to show that we've been together over the period of time we've said rather than spent a weekend taking staged pictures. A few pictures are us with a group - such as one at a friend's party.

Does this seem about right? Or is there anything obvious we're missing?

Intrepid
Newly Registered

Proof of relationship

Post by Intrepid » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi all,

I tried to post here last night... and ended up posting on an old thread of mine. :oops: So, new thread...

We are about to submit our Fiancé visa application. I'm pretty sure we have everything we need but there's one thing troubling me - and that's proof of relationship.

For the first 6 months of our relationship, my fiancé lived in the UK (she was studying). So we didn't Skype and really texted rarely - usually just to arrange when we'd see each other.

As part of our application, we're submitting a log of all Skype calls and selected screenshots. But other than photographs of us together, we don't have a lot for the first 6 months.

Has anyone had a similar issue... and can anyone think of anything useful we could submit?

noajthan

Re: Fiancé visa application - does this sound ok?

Post by noajthan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Posts merged.
As a new member, assume you have diligently read the Board rules about multiple posts.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.