ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent Residency Card change name (marriage)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

damian6017
Newly Registered

Permanent Residency Card change name (marriage)

Post by damian6017 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi just want to ask if anyone change surname on Permanent Residency Card after marriage. How to do it ? Should I fill EEA(PR) form again and pay fee of 65£?

martinaj
Newly Registered

Re: Permanent Residency Card change name (marriage)

Post by martinaj » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi, bumping this up as I need similar info.

Some background: I am currently preparing an application for PR as an EEA national qualified person. In September I am getting married and will be changing my last name to my future husband's name (who is a British citizen, but I am still applying as a qualified person myself, won't be using any family member or sponsor routes).
If I send my application now, and hopefully get the PR card, it will be in my current name. Later if and when I apply for citizenship, would that be a problem?

Should I go ahead with my application now or wait until after marriage and after I've changed my name on my passport, with my bank, DVLA etc.?
I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere how to change a name on a PR card - most sites say you need to send a completely new application and I don't want to have to go over the same hassle if I don't have to.

Any advice is appreciated.

Malvimm
Newly Registered
Mood:
Poland

Re: Permanent Residency Card change name (marriage)

Post by Malvimm » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:44 pm

martinaj wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:22 pm
Hi, bumping this up as I need similar info.

Some background: I am currently preparing an application for PR as an EEA national qualified person. In September I am getting married and will be changing my last name to my future husband's name (who is a British citizen, but I am still applying as a qualified person myself, won't be using any family member or sponsor routes).
If I send my application now, and hopefully get the PR card, it will be in my current name. Later if and when I apply for citizenship, would that be a problem?

Should I go ahead with my application now or wait until after marriage and after I've changed my name on my passport, with my bank, DVLA etc.?
I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere how to change a name on a PR card - most sites say you need to send a completely new application and I don't want to have to go over the same hassle if I don't have to.

Any advice is appreciated.
Hi there,

I had a similar issue and I was not able to find any help online so please see below my notes, I hope you will find it useful.

I received my EEA PR before I got married.

After I got married I applied for British Citizenship under my married surname. My EEA PR card was under my maiden name. First, I updated my foreign passport to show my married surname. I also updated my surname with all authorities like banks, HMRC, DVLA etc. Then I filled up the application under my married name, attached my EEA PR card and a marriage certificate as the proof of changing the name. My English test and Life in UK test were also under my maiden name as I did them in advance. Everything was fine, and my citizenship application was successful, and my married surname was correctly shown on my Citizenship Certificate.

Basically, you need to make sure that your name on your foreign passport has been changed and you provide your marriage certificate to HO when you submit your application. there is no need to change your EEA PR card.

I spoke about this issue with an immigration lawyers, so this is definitely a correct way.

One more note- when I received an email confirmation from HO that they received my application, they used my maiden name. Then, when I received a letter to request biometrics, it was addressed under my married name but then a part with biometrics details was under my maiden name. This was because they have not yet updated my surname on their system as they already had my details when I applied for EEA PR.

Regards and Good luck