ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Founder of tech startup applying for Exceptional Talent

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Durbzzz
United States of America

Founder of tech startup applying for Exceptional Talent

Post by Durbzzz » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:15 am

Hi everyone, I am the founder of 2 tech startups that will be incorporated in the UK. My first is beta testing and will be launching in the next few weeks. I am working with a well known UK investor. I have already invested £18000 in both startups. I was planning on applying for the Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa but can only do so once I obtain the investment money required. I think this might be a better option for me. Anyone out there who can give me advice on being the Founder of a tech startup? I plan on using the Exceptional Promise route as I come from a business background.

kaibea25
Newly Registered

Re: Founder of tech startup applying for Exceptional Talent

Post by kaibea25 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:44 pm

Being just a founder of a tech startup isn't just enough. You need to show at least two recommendation for you that how you can be helpful for digital sector in the UK. Having an investor interest is great and would suggest getting proper recommendation from him/her.

Hope this answer and not quite sure what was your exact question?

Durbzzz
United States of America

Post by Durbzzz » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:30 am

I have several recommendation letters from a big tech company and a high profile investor who has invested in my startup. I also have a letter from a former employee who I performed a performance marketing campaign with.

Does this make my application stronger? I am going with the exceptional promise route as a business person.

Durbzzz
United States of America

Appealing Tech City decision

Post by Durbzzz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:55 am

Hello, I applied as founder of a startup that is already incorporated in the UK. I am working with a well known angel investor/advisor/mentor in the UK tech community. We have already invested £70,000 in the development of my product. I applied for a Tier 1 as an exceptional promise candidate as I come from a business background with emphasis on performance marketing. I was denied an endorsement. Tech City stated I did not show adequate proof of becoming a world leader but I applied as a promise candidate. Surely with my background and the fact I am working with a high profile angel in London that should show promise? They also said the evidence of my startup did not prove enough since it had no traction yet. The whole point of me applying is so that we could launch from London and I could make key hires in the UK. Has anyone ever appealed and had their decision turned?

Any help would be appreciated.

kaibea25
Newly Registered

Post by kaibea25 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Sorry to hear that they refused your application. May be you could try for Tech North as less people tends to go there compared to the London. I'm not sure if they have given you the option for appeal this?

If so then I'd suggest to write a page or so to explain how your product impact and add value by moving into UK.

Durbzzz
United States of America

Post by Durbzzz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:59 am

Hi, thanks for the advice. I have already sent in my response. I am very disappointed because I am working with a famous angel investor and marketing officer to launch my app which currently is new, disruptive and has no direct competitors. I mentioned all this in my response. I stated that they need to see the potential of the startup because I applied as an exceptional promise candidate with performance marketing experience. The front page of Tech City states they want to bring startups into the UK to scale. I am very upset. I did not know I could apply for Tech North. I don't mind placing my startup in that region. Does a different group of people evaluate that application?

sindhoo

Post by sindhoo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi ,
You can apply for any option same group of people will access your endorsement.

mattewreuben1
Newly Registered

Post by mattewreuben1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Durbzzz wrote:Hi, thanks for the advice. I have already sent in my response. I am very disappointed because I am working with a famous angel investor and marketing officer to launch my app which currently is new, disruptive and has no direct competitors. I mentioned all this in my response. I stated that they need to see the potential of the startup because I applied as an exceptional promise candidate with performance marketing experience. The front page of Tech City states they want to bring startups into the UK to scale. I am very upset. I did not know I could apply for Tech North. I don't mind placing my startup in that region. Does a different group of people evaluate that application?
Did you appeal in the end? or how did it go?

Durbzzz
United States of America

Post by Durbzzz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 am

No luck, the decision stuck. No endorsement. I am going to try again after the app launches and we get traction.

mattewreuben1
Newly Registered

Post by mattewreuben1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:09 am

Durbzzz wrote:No luck, the decision stuck. No endorsement. I am going to try again after the app launches and we get traction.
Oh sorry to hear that, I think you should repackage again and apply in few months.

Just out of curiosity, Are you just a founder of a startup with no direct sales yet? what is your background like? Are you strong academically or have you done any publishing or what have you done, because as it was said earlier been just a founder might not tick the box.

Durbzzz
United States of America

Post by Durbzzz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:42 am

I applied based on my performance marketing experience from a business background. I am working with a well known angel investor in developing and marketing this app. We are pre-revenue. The next step is an official launch and acquiring some VC funding.