ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

abundantbee
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by abundantbee » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:15 am

My husband applied for FBR in October, so judging by other peoples' experiences, he should hear something in a few weeks time. We are also planning to go to Liverpool for his Irish passport.

It's interesting what Doomster has said about the passport photos at Liverpool. I personally didn't see anything wrong with what was submitted! We have asked for guidance on the photos, as my husband was born totally blind, so it's very difficult to meet the requirements they state. As of yet there's been no response to his query but hopefully he'll hear something back soon. We shall see how it goes :)

Kathrynemc
Newly Registered

Post by Kathrynemc » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi all, I've been having a read through this thread and it's interesting to read all of the processing times. For those that have recently applied could you keep me updated on when you receive your FBR certificates. I sent all of my stuff on last week so I'm hoping according to all of the others times I'll be getting mine end of April!! Thanks x

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:43 am

Good Morning,

Good luck to all of you who have joined us in waiting for your FBR to be approved. As Doomster has said it has taken roughly 4 months per application, although I believe the consulate is still estimating 6 months.

I would like to tell you all I now hold an Irish Passport! I received it in the mail on Friday. Thanks for the heads up about the photographs Doomster, as I was at the Liverpool post office someone next to me was declined due to their photographs not matching specification. Mine were fine though, I did check beforehand.

For the passport I applied on 13/12 and received 13/1. There were many bank holidays during this time and with the close for Christmas it should be quicker (estimated 15 Working days). My passport was ready to be printed from 6/1, the only delay (according to the embassy) was contacting my witness.

This is my journey now complete, I am glad I got to share it with you all, I will keep popping in from time to time to see how people are getting on but I'm glad my thread, and all information gathered have been support/help to all of us.

Thank you

W.

Sweet Mistakes
Newly Registered

Post by Sweet Mistakes » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Thanks Damocov and Wavey for your responses. I managed to get in touch with the Irish Embassy and they've told me i'll need all of the certificates for his marriages and their death certificates as well :( It seems extremely unnecessary as the following two have no relation to me whatsoever, but hey, "you've got to do, what you've got to do".

elampert
Newly Registered

Post by elampert » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Hello All,

I've been lurking for a little bit while I've been collecting all of the documentation I needed for my FBR application. I'm applying from the Boston Consulate region and their procedure has changed recently. Instead of me submitting everything to them they told me to send it directly to Dublin. The woman who I spoke to at the Boston consulate says that they don't process the applications anymore.

Anyway, I got everything together and mailed it directly to the office in Dublin. The shipping confirmation said it arrived there on the 21st of December and, based on everything I've heard about this process, now its just a waiting game.

Do you all suggest calling to Dublin just to get a confirmation that they've actually received my package? It does include about every important document know to man so it'd be nice to know that they did get it.

I'll keep everyone updated on how long it takes to hear back.

Best,
Emily

mikkey201
Newly Registered

Post by mikkey201 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:30 am

Hi all. Glad to see they're working through the applications quicker than the 6 months specified.

I applied on September 7 so I'm hoping it'll be sent soon. Im checking the Royal Mail Track and Send daily but it just says 'Please come back later'.

Has anyone else who applied in September heard anything?

Good luck to everyone and to those that have their FBR certificates already congratulations!! My journey to become Irish started in 2010 but as my Irish born Grandad didn't have a valid passport I left it until he did.

If I hear anything then I'll post straight away on here :-)

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:15 am

Hi , just want to ask from all who have applied OR received for FBR , did embassy / consulate sent you original documents back after receiving application or they keep all the original documents until the FBR application is decided ? Cheers

Wavey

Post by Wavey » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:04 pm

bluemoon2 wrote:Hi , just want to ask from all who have applied OR received for FBR , did embassy / consulate sent you original documents back after receiving application or they keep all the original documents until the FBR application is decided ? Cheers
Received original documents back with FBR certificate at the same time minus application + photos.

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:39 pm

@Wavey , thanks mate .

stephenpj
Newly Registered

Post by stephenpj » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:36 pm

I am making an application for FBR based on my grandmother being born in Ireland. I have all documentation except that my mother who is still alive does not have a current passport (her health does not allow her to travel). The instructions suggest though it is necessary to supply a certified copy of a passport for her. Does anyone know if an application will be accepted without a passport if she does not hold one?

abundantbee
Newly Registered

Post by abundantbee » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:43 am

stephenpj wrote:I am making an application for FBR based on my grandmother being born in Ireland. I have all documentation except that my mother who is still alive does not have a current passport (her health does not allow her to travel). The instructions suggest though it is necessary to supply a certified copy of a passport for her. Does anyone know if an application will be accepted without a passport if she does not hold one?
My husband has applied for FBR based on his grandfather being born in Ireland. My mother-in-law lives in America and like a lot of Americans does not have a passport. When we contacted the embassy regarding the lack of passport situation they said that a certified copy of her drivers licence would suffice, as that has her photo on it. My husband made his application back at the beginning of October and we've heard nothing back yet, so we can only assume that the copy of the drivers licence was acceptable.

Wilma1
Newly Registered

Post by Wilma1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:16 pm

So, with January all but gone, there is still no sign of the hoped for registration documentation. Concerns now start to arise - the bank draft and special delivery expire at the start of March, but the most important aspect is the child close to turning 18! Does anyone know what happens in that instance? Do you just get charged the additional adult rate (I’d prefer not, though not the end of the world!) or do you need to start the whole process again? Many thanks

Wilma1
Newly Registered

Post by Wilma1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:14 pm

mikkey201 wrote:Hi all. Glad to see they're working through the applications quicker than the 6 months specified.

I applied on September 7 so I'm hoping it'll be sent soon. Im checking the Royal Mail Track and Send daily but it just says 'Please come back later'.

Has anyone else who applied in September heard anything?

Good luck to everyone and to those that have their FBR certificates already congratulations!! My journey to become Irish started in 2010 but as my Irish born Grandad didn't have a valid passport I left it until he did.

If I hear anything then I'll post straight away on here :-)
Hi Mikkey201,
I'm a fellow September applicant - any progress yet?

mikkey201
Newly Registered

Post by mikkey201 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:46 pm

Hey Wilma no nothing. I was checking the Royal Mail tracking site daily to see if it had been sent but I had had enough haha. I've been checking this site to see if you had gotten yours yet but it seems they've come to a stop..

Hopefully it'll come soon. I want my Irish passport! Lol

Whatever happens I'll be sure to come back and let you know if/when I receive my FBR cert.

Fingers crossed it's soon

Mike :-)

abundantbee
Newly Registered

Post by abundantbee » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:54 pm

My husband applied for FBR on 4 October and they received the application on 5 October. We contacted the bank to see if the bank draft had been cashed yet and they told us it was cashed on 30 December. We still have not received anything back though and are now quite concerned about it as, obviously, we're now in February. Anyone else in the same situation?

mikkey201
Newly Registered

Post by mikkey201 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:05 pm

I don't think there is anything to concerned about. The process does take 6 months or so. I think those that did theirs pre September have been processed really quickly but as Christmas and new year has been and gone it's probably made the process a bit longer.

Sit tight it'll come soon enough :-)

abundantbee
Newly Registered

Post by abundantbee » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:32 pm

We had a response off the embassy and they said they cashed the draft to prevent it from expiring. They said the application itself is still the processing queue. It looks like those who applied before September got lucky with the time it took.

mikkey201
Newly Registered

Post by mikkey201 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:28 pm

***Update*** I've just had an email from the department of foreign affairs in Dublin, my proof of address documents have expired and they need new ones. Also as my parents weren't married they need my mothers birth certificate which I didn't even know was a requirement.

So keep your eyes out for any emails!

abundantbee
Newly Registered

Post by abundantbee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:21 pm

mikkey201 wrote:***Update*** I've just had an email from the department of foreign affairs in Dublin, my proof of address documents have expired and they need new ones. Also as my parents weren't married they need my mothers birth certificate which I didn't even know was a requirement.

So keep your eyes out for any emails!
That's great that they've actually started processing your application. I hope now they've started it, they don't take too long to finish it. I'm guessing it will be about another month before they start processing my husband's stuff now.

Rosem
Newly Registered

Post by Rosem » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:10 am

Hi everyone

Thanks for this informative thread. I've just recently applied for the Foreign Birth Registration through my father's mother, who was born in Ireland. I live in the US and have sent my application by FedEx last month after submitting a basic online form and paying online around January 17 (I was charged right away but it looks like that is how they do it these days). It was received in Dublin on January 25. I had all the documents and also included a letter letting them know that my brother and younger sister have already received dual citizenship through our grandmother. (I actually found out later that my older sister did so as well). I gave them my sister's Irish passport number in the hope it would speed things up a little. I am wondering if anyone knows if this will help things at all? I see that the current timeline seems to be about 4 months which isn't bad though now it occurs to me that I might be out of the country when it comes - ironically I am going to Galway in May (though only about for 10 days).

Thanks for any insight.

damocov
Newly Registered

Post by damocov » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:50 pm

No progress on my application via London, however my Sister's application via the Edinburgh consulate arrived this morning, she applied mid October - so about 4 months elapsed time.

TF101
Newly Registered

Post by TF101 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:48 am

Just to add a data point: The London embassy received my application on 19 October, and I haven't had anything yet. I asked the embassy about the status in November, and they replied that it could take 'six months or longer', but I think that was a generic answer.

In any case, it looks like those of us who applied later on are having to wait longer than those who applied in the summer.

I'll post again when I receive anything.

abundantbee
Newly Registered

Post by abundantbee » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:36 am

UPDATE

My husband has received an email today advising him that due to the exceptionally high number of applications they have at the London embassy, they are currently taking longer than 6 months to process FBR applications. My husband's application was received on 5 October, so we've been waiting almost 5 months so far.

kingcrumb
Newly Registered

Post by kingcrumb » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm in a big predicament with this, just wanted to see if anyone has advice.

I submitted my application in October (from the US, mailed directly to the DFA) and was given the timeline of 5 months. I just called this morning and I was informed that they just received my application in February. I told him that I mailed it in October and he said "yeah, the Post is taking ages". I know that they recieved it in October, as I shipped it through DHL and it was signed for. This puts me in a bad spot, as I am getting married in May and my fiancee is starting graduate school in Ireland in August. So, I likely won't get my documents in time, providing my application is approved.

Should I email them with proof of delivery and see if they can move my application up in the queue? Also, if I still haven't gotten it by the time I get married, do I then have to mail them my marriage certificate? I'm just at a loss so any advice would be appreciated!

damocov
Newly Registered

Post by damocov » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:38 pm

No email from the embassy yet (honestly not sure which email address I gave them, but I've checked home and work), but have just had confirmation from the post office that the postal order has been cashed, so I guess it's just a waiting game now.