ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What form should I complete for my daughter? MN1 or T?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jimbocz
Newly Registered

What form should I complete for my daughter? MN1 or T?

Post by jimbocz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Hello,

My wife is applying for her DCPR and was going to include the kids as well until we figured out that they may be British. I am American and my wife is French. We've been living and both working in the UK since 2000 and haven't left for any long periods. I got my indefinite leave to remain in 2006.

One child was born in 2007 and is therefore British because he was born here to a parent with ILR.

My daughter was born in 2003 and has also lived here the whole time. She has American and French passports.

The main question of this post is what should we do for her? One option is to include the daughter on my wife's DCPR. The other option is apply for British Citizenship for my daughter using form MN1 since she was born here and has a parent who has since settled. The third and worst option is to use form T since she has lived in the UK for more than 10 years. We'd like to avoid that since it costs £900 and looks difficult.

The only reason we are doing anthing is uncertainty about what will happen after article 50.

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: What form should I complete for my daughter? MN1 or T?

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:25 pm

MN1 under section 1(3) of the Nationality Act, which is an entitlement to register.

You cannot unfortunately avoid the fee of £936 for either form, fees go up every March/April.

She could have registered in 2006 as soon as you got ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jimbocz
Newly Registered

Post by jimbocz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:35 pm

Thank you for your reply.

If we take the option of listing her in my wife's DCPR , which only costs £65, what are the implications? My daughter already has two passports so it's no big deal if she's not British.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:37 pm

You can do that, but PR can be lost if absent for 2 or more years, so something to bear in mind.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Even a French or American person ideally needs settled status if not registering as a citizen yet future is in UK.

Even with PR its not clear what happens when UK cuts loose.

If registered, grandchildren will be British too.

What does child want to do about her future?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.