ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK born Indian passport (within one year of birth of child)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

aayushd
Newly Registered

UK born Indian passport (within one year of birth of child)

Post by aayushd » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Hello All,

****** Will edit this thread once i get the passport *******

Note: My experience is of HCI office London.

I wish to share my experience of getting Indian passport for my son born in UK.

Step 1: Take an appointment at your local council office ( this council office should cover the hospital where baby is born). At the appointment day it should not take more than an hour. [Check your council website for more details.] Birth certificate is free but they charge additional amount for an optional official copy ( around £4).
The important bit here is that aldwych office guys will ask for the optional copy as it is more detailed one. So please remember to take one.

Step 2: After obtaining UK birth certificate, apply online for Registration of birth of a minor child at an indian consulate under section 4(1) of the citizenship act, 1955. You will be required to upload images for photograph and signature with the following specs:
  • Needs to upload minor child passport size photograph and parent signature.
    Image Dimension of Photograph should be 100(Width) * 120(Hight) Pixel only.
    Image Dimension of Signature should be 140(Width) * 60(Hight) Pixel only.
    Ensure that the size of the scanned images are not more than 20kb.
    Uploading images should be in jpg format only.
    Use the Microsoft picture manager for resizing the images
Currently they do accept any dimension photographs uploaded in this form as they will need a hard copy of photo on it anyways.

Step 3: With the printout of above form and other required documents, you need to reach HCI office and be in the queue for tokens. There is a separate queue for OCI and everything else. You need to be in everything else queue. I reached at 7:00 AM with 50 people already ahead of my in the queue. My token number for this service was 12. After 45 minute waiting, they finally called me and asked to sign an affidavit that my spouse has not applied for a UK passport for my Kid. This is ridiculous since online form should already have this. But they provide this form so it is ok.

All the Xerox copies of the documents should be self attested . Marriage certificate should be attested by both. They will also ask for a self addressed Royal mail next day delivery envelope which they will use to send the Consulate Registration of birth certificate. They do not mention this as well in the list of documents but they still ask for it. They will also ask for £34 as fee. Carry the exact fee and remember to check the receipt. They gave me receipt of only £17.

It will take around 10 days for the certificate to arrive.

Step 4: Apply for passport. I still need to do this. They have already taken 1 photo for the birth registration certificate. My mistake i took exactly 4 for the passport as for registration they just needed a photo to be uploaded :-(. Its difficult take less than a month old baby again to snappy snaps at another town. I have taken a photo myself am relying on my photoshop skills.

Can anyone confirm if for the passport they require exactly 4 or less number of photos?

Do we need to carry another self addressed Royal mail next day delivery envelope for the passport? It is not mentioned anywhere on their website.

anujmor
Newly Registered

Hi

Post by anujmor » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi Aayushd,

As per guidelines mentioned at http://www.hcilondon.in/passport.html site, Yes you need to provide 4 passport size photos for your kid and you will need to supply them another self-addressed (pre-paid) envelope which will be used by them to ship the passport to your address.

My kid was born recently in UK and I am planning to apply for Indian Citizenship and passport. We both are on Tier 2 (ICT) visa and was wondering you could help me with some of queries about the online application form.

1) Did you supplied the original passport size photograph with a white colour background? (The site says it should be a light colour background but not white)
2) You have mentioned "Currently they do accept any dimension photographs uploaded in this form as they will need a hard copy of photo on it anyways." Should we follow the dimension mentioned on the site or not? Was it the soft copy of passport size photograph which you uploaded online? Or did you uploaded a different photo online?
3) In the online application form, there is a section - "Details of family member who are staying in india with the applicant" - What did you mention in this section? If I consider applicant being the child, since he is not in india how can we list the family details? Or do i have to consider myself as the applicant and provide my parents details who are india?

Look forward to hear from you.

Thanks.

megatop

Post by megatop » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:38 am

AnujMor,

Regarding pt.3 about the family details, I feel you might be looking at the wrong application form. There are two versions one for children born in India and one for those born outside. Are you looking at the one which says 'at a consulate'??

anujmor
Newly Registered

Post by anujmor » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:58 am

megatop wrote:AnujMor,

Regarding pt.3 about the family details, I feel you might be looking at the wrong application form. There are two versions one for children born in India and one for those born outside. Are you looking at the one which says 'at a consulate'??
Thanks for your response Megatop.

You are correct, I was looking at a wrong form. I have now completed the correct online form and taken the printout. Initially my plan was to send the application through post but the person who called me from London HCI told that they won't take any guarantee of the original documents sent via post and if it is misplaced they won't be responsible. Hence I have now decided to walk-in to the HCI london office for submitting the application. Did you affixed a light or grey background photo on the registration form? The reason I am asking is when I spoke to the HCI london folks they clearly mentioned that they dont care if its in white background or off-white background, they just need a photograph ! These rules applies only for passport application. My thought is since we have taken pictures with white background for passport application, can't the same be used for registration form?

Regards,
Anuj

megatop

Post by megatop » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:16 am

Anuj,

I have shared my phone number in a PM to you. Will you be able to call me?? or I can call u if u wish..

kaymadi
Newly Registered

Post by kaymadi » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:37 am

Hi

i am about to start this process of registering my baby.

only a quick question where it says to upload a picture for baby -
can i upload any picture irrespective of the background colour etc as they will need the passport size photo anyway with the application or do i have to still follow the requirements of dimensions.

please advice she is only a week old really hard to picture her.

megatop

Post by megatop » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:07 pm

@kaymadi : Please be informed that the picture you upload will get merged with the pdf application form. Same is the case with your signature image.

You will have to take a print-out of that and submit. If the hard copy photo is too different from what you uploaded, you might be asked few questions.

jatinuk

Getting Indian Passport for Baby born in UK

Post by jatinuk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:25 am

I would like to share recent experience for getting the Indian passport for a baby born in UK( Would like to add some bits someone may find useful)

1. UK Birth Cerificate

After the birth of the baby, you need to get the UK Birth certificate from the address mentioned by hospital guys in the discharge paper. Do this before 42 days. Make sure the details in the registration are correct. They don't modify it later. It's a lengthy process to modify any thing later.
* Take two or more duplicate/details copies of birth certificate. They are useful later during Visa. each cost appx 4 GBP

2. Online registration

A. Go to this link on Registration of birth of a minor child at an indian consulate under section 4(1) of the citizenship act, 1955

Resize the photo to be upload using MS Picture Manager <20 KB.
Dont' have too much white space around signature Image.
Good to include signature of both parents in the image.

Take the print out of the form.
PS: My passport was about to expire, so I have got my passport reissued & then use the new passport number in the MHA form.
They need the same passport for verification.

B. Go to the HCI Aldywch or any preferred location.
At Aldywch, there are two floor - under ground floor is for passport & OCI & first floor is for Birth registration & other affidavit kind of services.
Why don't they have a ground floor :o

They have a good turn around time after getting token. But you will have to wait at least an hour or two. Either in queue or in the hall.

Submit following for Birth Registeration
* Online MHA form
* Photo copies(signed by both parent) of marriage certificate.
* Both parents passport & its photo copies (signed individually)
* Birth certificate(detailed one) & photo copy
* 4 (four) Passport size (35 mm x 45 mm)
# Take all the original, they will be required for verification ( they will give it back)
Fees :
17 GBP for birth registration + 17 GBP for birth certificate.

PS: They hadn't ask me for next day delivery envelope.
They gave me a receipt & ask me to collect after 3 weeks at 4:30 at same location.

Once you have the India Birth certificate ( I didn't like the quality of paper considering the charge (17 GBP) which they gave us. It is just a A4 Paper with details & Indian stamp). They should issue it on at least a certificate like paper)

3. New Passport
This time take the token for passport service & go to under-ground floor, Here the queue is generally longer.

A. Fill up the passport form from here Passport form

Take the thumb print of the baby on all the three boxes/places in the form. It is quite important. They might ask you to bring the baby. But if you tell them, it is very hard to bring baby here & he/she is very small. That will be fine for them.
Put N/A where ever the case. Both parent need to sign at declaration.

About staff: The guy behind counter 2, I have found very rude (Or may be his English is very loud & rude). It is hard to grasp what you saying when you are loud. I have seen people are generally not happy at that counter. He will ask to both the parents to be there. Guy on counter 3 will be fine. If you say, baby & the mother can't come. Not sure who is right here.

B. Submit following document along with the application form

* Passport form
* 4 photos (30mm X 40 mm)
* Copies of Passport of both parents signed individually.
* Copy of BRP card or visa vignette (signed individually)
* Copy of UK Birth certificate (Detail one)
* Copy of Marriage certificate (Signed by both parents)
* Original Indian birth certificate collected earlier.
Fees 36 GBP
# Take all the original, they will be required for verification ( they will give it back)

They will ask you to collect it after 20 calendar days from same place at 4 PM.

Some Tips
* Take the exact change for fees.
* There is not need to stay in the queue. If you get there at 11:30 am & get the token. You will be served in appx 90-120 minutes. Better to sit inside then standing in the queue from early morning.
* Lunch time 1300 to 1400 hrs, so adjust accordingly.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

chandruz
Newly Registered

Re: UK born Indian passport (within one year of birth of chi

Post by chandruz » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi While uploading Parents Signature along with Children Passport photo, Do both the parent's signature need to be uploaded or any one's signature will do?

chandruz
Newly Registered

Post by chandruz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:23 pm

In addition to the above procedure, While uploading Parents Signature along with Children Passport photo, both the parent's signature need to be uploaded.

And book an appointment online to visit High commission in person.

While going, Both parent should go, with self addressed paid envelop and passport size photo of both parents.

dipak dawkhar
Newly Registered

Post by dipak dawkhar » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:20 pm

Here is my recent exp

Indian Birth Reg

https://www.hcilondon.in/pages.php?id=85

1. Fill the online form

2. Upload the photo of child and copy of Both parent signature

3. Copy of marriage certificate, passport and birth certificate

Document submission at HCI Birmingham

1. Appointment is not required

2. Self attested copy of Marriage certificate, BRP cards, Passport, Birth certificate ( Short and long both), address proof of UK ( copy of water, gas etc bill)

3. 4 Photos of child (Grey background), carry all above originals

3. Royal mail prepaid envelop

In addition to above, they will ask to fill 3 forms at HCI.

Feed--17 Pounds

Time at HCI Birmingham for submission - 30 to 45Mins

Birth registration certificate received at home in 4 days

For Passport-

http://www.vfsglobal.com/India/UK/#14

1. Fill the online form.

2. 4 Photos of child with white background ( Very Imp)

3. Self attested copy of Marriage certificate, BRP cards, Passport, Birth certificate ( Short and long both), Indian Birth Reg, Copy of Indian address proof like Aadhar card, Letter from wife authorizing for submitting application alone

4. Carry all originals, like passport, BRP card, Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate ( Short and Long Both), Indian Birth Reg

Fees---60 Pounds ( Including of courier charges for orginal document and passport)

Time--- Received passport in 10days ( Time frame given by VFS is 4-6 weeks)

dil13l
Newly Registered

Post by dil13l » Wed May 11, 2016 11:38 am

My recent experience applying for my baby daughter

UK Birth Certificaite
Date: 28th April 2016
[1] Take appointment with local birth registration office. Local birth registration offices can be found in your babies red book or online. Call to book appointment. You may ask what all documents you need to bring.
[2] Refer to this link https://www.gov.uk/register-birth/overview which details what you need
[3] Both parents or baby need not go.
[4] They will prepare draft, make you proof read.
[5] The short BC is free; long BC each copy costs £4 each.
[6] As I was not applying at the counties main registration office, they posted the BCs to me. They take a week to do so. No need to take self addressed envelope.

Indian Birth Registration
Date applied: 9th May 10AM appointment
Place: HCI London
[1] Take appointment for HCI London https://www.hcilondon.in/ (Book appointment). Recommendation is to book early as for me it was processed swiftly. I booked for 10AM.
[2] Fill online form at http://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/i ... ublic.aspx. You will need to upload
  • Digital picture of your baby in off white background. Adjust pixel using MS Paint(under settings>view in pixels)
  • Digital scan of one parent signature(me the father in my case). Adjust pixel using MS Paint(under settings>view in pixels)
  • Scan copy of long UK birth certificate
  • Scan copy of both parents passport and visa copy all in one pdf file
  • Scan copy of parents marriage certificate
[3] Once you fill online application form, and upload above documents as and when asked, you will get MHA number (make a note of that in case) and then you get the option of printing application. Print application.
[4] Sign in the second page of the application form (both parents) and also paste one 35mm x 35mm picture next to the prined image of your baby in the application form
[5] Documents to take
  • Appointment letter
  • Application form
  • Parents passport, visa original and their self attested copies
  • Parents marriage certificate original and self attested(by both parents) copy
  • Baby full and short BC and its self attested(by both parents) copy
  • UK address proof original with self attested copy (preferably address proof of father)
  • Take £17 exact change. Keep 20 pence with you incase you need use xerox machine at HCI
[6] I took a self addressed royal mail first class special delivery envelope as I had to travel 2 hours for this.
[7] Other points
  • Mother and baby need not go. I was not going to make my family travel for this and thankfully they were not asked for.
  • Originals are not kept. Just seen and returned.
  • And stay high spirited :). I was being cautious that its going to be a bad experience but went pretty smoothly.
Note that above links were working at the time I have posted this. All the best. And congratulations for your baby.

Mohamad

gag285
Member of Standing
India

Post by gag285 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Can you confirm the Printed Application Form with Part I and II should have signature of both parents in Part II. I think they are only required in the uploaded document and Part II signatures have to be done in front of the Consular officer by the person whose name appears in Part II declarations.

chetancmc
Newly Registered

Post by chetancmc » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:08 pm

This is regarding Birth registration for my baby, I have submitted the online application form (able to upload the photo and sign) and I have all my docs ready to submit including the printed application form which has baby photo printed on it. My question is - do I need to print baby's passport size photo (35*35)?

matwalaboy
Newly Registered

Post by matwalaboy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:29 pm

I don't see any online appointment booking for the HCI - its always been get in the queue at the morning and wait for your turn - has something changed recently to this effect?

josekumar
India

Post by josekumar » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:58 pm

I have been there to apply passport for my daughter. i went to London Gosewell VFS center with the documents mentioned in the http://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/NEW_I ... rt.html#14.

I was surprised to learn that we need to carry "Parents Consent letter for issuing passport for minor" to be signed by both parents apart from

1. Annexure H
2. No objection letter from my wife
3. Declaration Form on the passport application.

That particular form not there in VFS website. anyone planning to apply make sure you take it with you.

Thanks

paboluuk

Post by paboluuk » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:45 am

Hi dil13l/dipak dawkhar,
Thanks for your post and it's very helpful. I'm about to submit my documents for my daughters passport. Would it be possible to apply Indian Passport & birth registration together at london - paddington office. Please let me know.

Thanks in Advance.

aamirwani

Post by aamirwani » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:20 pm

What if one doesn't have the original passports. Mine and my wife's passport is with HO. Can I not use the photo copies of my and wife's passport for applying for child’s Ind passport?

Thanks

pragu2000
Newly Registered

Post by pragu2000 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:01 pm

My child born in UK and I'm following the same process.

While submitting the passport application, what should be the answer for below question?

'15. Please mention, if citizen of India by birth/descent/Naturalization/Registration.'

sma_tier1

Post by sma_tier1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:44 am

Dear friends,

Request you to answer this for me.

Has anyone done birth registration of a new born at "High Commission of India or any of its Consulates in UK" ?
I wish to know if they allow to mention mother's MAIDEN NAME in the birth registration certificate even if the mother's Indian passport has her MARRIED NAME.

Thanks,
sma

josekumar
India

Post by josekumar » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:13 pm

They will accept the baby's name what you have mentioned in the Birth Certificate you registered in your council. Also the Parents name on the birth certificate should match what you have in the passport.

xhavi
Newly Registered

Post by xhavi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Hello guys,
I am Indian National and my husband is Portuguese. we are living in Uk for last 3 years and I am on EEA Residence card 5years Visa. I want to register my baby boy who is just 2 weeks old. I visited the site (Registration of birth of a minor child at an indian consulate under section 4(1) of the citizenship act, 1955) where in when i enter my husband details as portuguese national it says (father must be Indian national).

So is it that if my husband is portuguese my son must hold portuguese nationality?
Or I am filling the wrong form? I called HCI london but they say refer website.
Please help.
Thanks very much guys...:)

fayaz07
Newly Registered
India

Re: UK born Indian passport (within one year of birth of child)

Post by fayaz07 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:11 am

HI

Can anyone confirm how to Book appointment for HCI London to Register as Indian Citizen for New Born BaBy ?

Thanks

ksrangal
India

Post by ksrangal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Hello,

I want to register my daughter's birth. I know I have to fill online application. But I can't find if I need to book appointment to submit my documents.

I'm following https://www.hcilondon.in/pages.php?id=85 to fill online application.

Do I need to visit HCI London or I can visit any VFS office in UK ?

How and where I can book appoint for new born birth registration ?

srsw

Post by srsw » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:12 pm

ksrangal wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:56 pm
Hello,

I want to register my daughter's birth. I know I have to fill online application. But I can't find if I need to book appointment to submit my documents.

I'm following https://www.hcilondon.in/pages.php?id=85 to fill online application.

Do I need to visit HCI London or I can visit any VFS office in UK ?

How and where I can book appoint for new born birth registration ?
Hi there... were you able to figure out how to register birth? I've filled the online form but kind of stuck what to do next as I'm also not finding an option to book an appointment.

I'll try to ring Bristol consular office next week and figure out next steps, but would be good if anyone else can share their recent experience to demystify this thing.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.