ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Date you first entered the UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MRami
Newly Registered

Date you first entered the UK

Post by MRami » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Hello

I’m an EU citizen submitting the application for the permanent residency card.

I’d like a clarification regarding the question “date you first entered the UK”. The very first time I entered the UK was for one month over the summer holidays in 2004. But they don’t mean that, do they? I’ve been back visiting friends a few times after that but again – that’s not relevant, right?

I came to live in the UK as a student in August 2007. I studied for my Master’s degree with some part time temp work placements until I graduated in 2009 (I haven’t kept many payslips from that period). It took me some time to find work after I left the university, I had enough savings and did not claim any benefits. I realise now that I did not have comprehensive sickness insurance until I started working full time in June 2010. I have been employed ever since and can provide all the pay slips.

So if I state that I arrived in August 2007 and had no comprehensive health insurance until June 2010 would that cause issues? Because I have been employed for nearly 6.5 years which automatically (?) makes me eligible for PR card?

I’m so confused over this. I really hope someone knows the answer to this. I don’t want to have my application rejected over this and want to find a way around it, if this is a potential problem.

Many thanks in advance!

M.

noajthan

Re: Date you first entered the UK

Post by noajthan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:42 pm

Start with 2007.

No good character test for DCPR so no penalties (eg for lack of CSI) at this stage of your journey.
(You may or may not face consequences later - if you have ambitions for citizenship).

And anyway you may have had a valid alternative to CSI, eg:
  • foreign EHIC;
    RC as student during/before 2011;
    Union citizen sponsor;
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

MRami
Newly Registered

Post by MRami » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Thank you.

I don't believe any of those apply. I've been married to a Brit since 2013 so I could apply for the citizenship. But I value my EU citizenship more at the moment and would not be permitted to keep it. The whole uncertainly over my status post Brexit is extremely worrying.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:38 pm

MRami wrote:Thank you.

I don't believe any of those apply. I've been married to a Brit since 2013 so I could apply for the citizenship. But I value my EU citizenship more at the moment and would not be permitted to keep it. The whole uncertainly over my status post Brexit is extremely worrying.
Unfortunately mere marriage to a BC doesn't really help you. Why would you think it might (or does)?

MRami
Newly Registered

Post by MRami » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:17 pm

I believe (but haven't actually properly investigated) it makes it easier to receive citizenship, e.g. fewer years of residency required? But I might be wrong. And I realize it makes no difference for PR application.

MRami
Newly Registered

Post by MRami » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:20 pm

But overall I think I mentioned it because it makes it more likely that I may at some point have to apply for citizenship because it makes me less likely to leave the UK.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:01 pm

MRami wrote:I believe (but haven't actually properly investigated) it makes it easier to receive citizenship, e.g. fewer years of residency required? But I might be wrong. And I realize it makes no difference for PR application.
If you naturalise via a 6(2) application then yes, the residence requirement is 3 years but it still takes 5 years to acquire PR.

tmonaghan
Mood:

Post by tmonaghan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi noajthan,

"If you naturalise via a 6(2) application then yes, the residence requirement is 3 years but it still takes 5 years to acquire PR."

Are you saying that you can naturalise before acquiring your PR when married to a British Citizen after three years?

Thanks, Trevor

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:31 pm

tmonaghan wrote:Hi noajthan,

"If you naturalise via a 6(2) application then yes, the residence requirement is 3 years but it still takes 5 years to acquire PR."

Are you saying that you can naturalise before acquiring your PR when married to a British Citizen after three years?

Thanks, Trevor
No. The 3 years is subsumed into the 5 years it takes to settle.
There are no short cuts here.

Suggest frame your own questions in your existing topic rather than try to glean snippets, piecemeal, from various aging and old topics.