ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

"Date you first entered the UK" for EEA permanent residence

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Soizub
Newly Registered

"Date you first entered the UK" for EEA permanent residence

Post by Soizub » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:50 pm

foxmulder wrote:
Yes, I stated that I entered in 1991.

I actually put in the dates when I was at school, a student etc on the form because at the time I didn't know I didn't need to. I knew that my time as a student would not have counted to my PR qualifying period as I did not have comprehensive sickness insurance, so in the additional information box I wrote that I was applying on the basis of 5 years of employment between 2009 and 2014.

I've also been out of the UK probably 20 times since I first moved here however I only listed absences from 2009 to present, as any absences before your chosen qualifying period are not relevant.
Hey, Did you actually get your Permanent Residence Permit stating the above?
Did this work? I am in the same position and unsure what to submit in the online application

noajthan

Re: "Date you first entered the UK" for EEA permanent reside

Post by noajthan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Member ohara is now a proud citizen so telling the truth on his various application forms evidently 'worked' for him.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Soizub
Newly Registered

Post by Soizub » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:27 pm

noajthan wrote:Member ohara is now a proud citizen so telling the truth on his various application forms evidently 'worked' for him.
Thanks for the good news.... we have been stressing about the student days back in 2001, without CSI, and was worried that it would affect the PR application for the qualifying period of 2011-2015. The new online application is a bit restricted.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:32 pm

If you have some period that does not qualify it will simply be ignored. So no issue in declaring it.

There is no concept of 'good character' on the EU migration route and no 'punishment' for, for example, not having CSI as a student (except that the period won't count towards acquiring PR).

Soizub
Newly Registered

Post by Soizub » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:50 pm

noajthan wrote:If you have some period that does not qualify it will simply be ignored. So no issue in declaring it.

There is no concept of 'good character' on the EU migration route and no 'punishment' for, for example, not having CSI as a student (except that the period won't count towards acquiring PR).
Thanks again to hear this 1st hand. We have been trying to find out this info....as CSI was a complete mystery up to last week. we knew we had a legitimate claim, but were confused by the CSI tick box

Trying to get advice from immigration advisers was going to cost wads.

The new online application is simple, but also restricting. For example, by ticking the 'been a student' box, apart from the CSI stress it caused us, it then asks you to provide documentary evidence (at the end of submission) of the education you are in engaged with (in the present tense), which is DAFT, as I finished my degree in 2010. So I guess I need to supply my degree certificate?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Suggest start with PR guidance. Have you read it?

Soizub
Newly Registered

PR Online Application - Confusing Student & CSI Question

Post by Soizub » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:47 am

Hello.

I have been reading the threads on this forum & I have to say MANY THANKS to you all - some great advice. Most of my questions / concerns have been answered, but I still have a nagging doubt & hope that someone can put my mind at rest.

Background:

My wife is Finnish and has been in the UK since 1997.
She started working (no plans to stay for in the UK for any considerable amount of time) but then went on to become a university student in London 1998. graduating in 2001. No CSI for this period (didn't know what it was!).
After Uni, she worked until 2002, when we had a child and went onto maternity leave, then left as we moved out of the area. We got married in 2004 & moved again (south coast).
She worked for a while then started on another degree in 2007 and graduated 2009 as an Occupational Therapist. I had BUPA cover (family covered) from 2007.
Since 2011 she has been working for the NHS as an OT, and can provide the necessary paperwork etc (bills, statements, p60's etc). She is also self-employed, but these earnings are very low. Has self-assessment tax forms etc.

On the face of it, this seems straight forward. Our chosen "five-year continuous qualifying period is between 2011-2015", and we can provide all that is required......but the ONLINE FORM is a little confusing!

Question #1
"Have you been a student or done vocational training since entering the UK?"
Answer = Yes, and she can provide the details of her 2 university courses (no problem)

Question #2, confuses us!
"Were you a student or self-sufficient person?"

We presume we answer Yes, as it refers to the above periods.
Or does the question relate to our 'chosen qualifying period' and we should answer No?

Question #3, is the killer
"How did you meet the requirement to hold comprehensive sickness insurance while you were a student or self-sufficient person during the relevant period? "

My wife does not have CSI for the 1st degree (98-01)
She has CSI for the 2nd (07-10) under my bupa scheme
But we are confused by the selection of answers offered to us, by the online form, as we have a mixture of answers!
  • EHIC, SI, S2, S3, Private Health, Not held any
Should we just select "I have not held any of the above ".....and not worry as our chosen qualifying period is 2011-2015 and therefore this will be discounted?

How do we ensure that the HO does not get confused and ONLY focuses on her time period of 2011-2015?

Currently we have ticked as I have listed....and we finally get the final 'documents' section which list the docs we need to provide....which seems a bit odd (in our case)

"Evidence that 'my wife' is self-sufficient, such as bank statements, a building society pass book, or evidence of receipt of pension"
"Evidence that 'my wife' is studying or doing vocational training - or evidence of both, if they have been studying and doing vocational training"

These things are BEFORE the qualifying period, so do does she need to supply them?

I maybe worrying unnecessarily, and I know others have far more tricky circumstances, but I also know friends who are in a similar position to us & confused!

Please help :-)

noajthan

Re: PR Online Application - Confusing Student & CSI Question

Post by noajthan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:51 am

Why not apply with paper form?

You do not choose qualifying period; caseworker reviews application, supporting evidence and decides whether to confirm applicant has acquired PR or not.
Wife may have acquired PR as early as 2012.

Are you sure wife does not have ILR from back in the day? Check old passports from 19-forgotten.
If so then no need for DCPR.

Soizub
Newly Registered

Re: PR Online Application - Confusing Student & CSI Question

Post by Soizub » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:49 pm

noajthan wrote:Why not apply with paper form?

You do not choose qualifying period; caseworker reviews application, supporting evidence and decides whether to confirm applicant has acquired PR or not.
Wife may have acquired PR as early as 2012.

Are you sure wife does not have ILR from back in the day? Check old passports from 19-forgotten.
If so then no need for DCPR.
Thanks for the reply. Not sure about ILR, will get her to check her old passports (if she has them)

The reason for the online approach, was that she started it thinking it would be easier.

WRT the qualifying period, do we need to 'spell it out to the HO, via a covering letter / notes in the additional comments box....focus on 2011-15' and suggest that they ignore her student days....or is that patronizing ? And we should trust the process?

Do we need the student evidence?

Thanks

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:27 pm

The online process is new, with more mandatory questions.

You can add a cogent supporting cover letter if you think it helps your case.
Caseworker will form her own assessment ofcourse, based on supporting evidence.
So send appropriate supporting evidence as per the PR Guidance.