ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

shady87
Nigeria

Change of Spouse Visa

Post by shady87 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi Guys,

I've got a friend seeking advise, below are his details about his stay in the UK;

Tier 4 Student Visa (1 year, 6 months)
Tier 2 General Work Visa (3 years)
Spouse Visa: 5 Year Route - 2.5 years granted (1 year)

Total legal stay in the UK - 5 years 6 months

He's having problems with his partner. If they were to separate;

1) Can he apply for a Spouse Visa via another British Citizen?
2) When will the current visa become invalid as it still has 1 year 5 months before it expires
3) Will he have to apply under 5 Year Route again?

Any guidance appreciated!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Change of Spouse Visa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Yes, if he is divorced (decree absolute) and remarries through an HO approved Registry after giving the required 28 days notice of intent to marry, which could be extended to 70 days for HO to investigate and interview them separately before giving the ok to marry.
2) When will the current visa become invalid as it still has 1 year 5 months before it expires
His current spouse has an obligation to inform HO that the marriage has broken down. There is a specific form that needs to be completed. HO will then likely curtail/cancel his visa.
Yes, from scratch again and pay the immigration health surcharge and meet ALL the requirements again.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shady87
Nigeria

Post by shady87 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:34 pm

CR001 wrote:
Yes, if he is divorced (decree absolute) and remarries through an HO approved Registry after giving the required 28 days notice of intent to marry, which could be extended to 70 days for HO to investigate and interview them separately before giving the ok to marry.
The marriage was done outside the UK and they provided the marriage certificate when they applied for the spouse visa, so the UK has no record of it as it was done outside of the uk so I guess this doesn't count?
His current spouse has an obligation to inform HO that the marriage has broken down. There is a specific form that needs to be completed. HO will then likely curtail/cancel his visa.
What happens if she doesn't, and he remains in the UK till when it's about to expire and then he applies for another Spouse visa with his new partner, will this be an issue?
Yes, from scratch again and pay the immigration health surcharge and meet ALL the requirements again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:43 pm

shady87 wrote:The marriage was done outside the UK and they provided the marriage certificate when they applied for the spouse visa, so the UK has no record of it as it was done outside of the uk so I guess this doesn't count?
Yes it does count, they do have a record because he applied for a spouse visa. Both parties must declare in a new application that they are free to marry. He must get divorced and submit evidence of the divorce with a new spouse visa application. He also cannot marry anyone before he is divorced.

What happens if she doesn't, and he remains in the UK till when it's about to expire and then he applies for another Spouse visa with his new partner, will this be an issue?
Yes, it can be as it is a material fact that is not being disclosed to HO.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:18 pm

I think you are in rush to live with new partner and then get visa but unfortunately it does not work in that way. You were issued the spouse visa based on your previous legal marriage which is in the HO records. The best course of action will be to divorce the 1st partner then you can be able to marry again and remember if you try to marry even outside of UK with another partner while being remained marry with 1st partner then that marriage won't be accepted.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.