ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British and Chinese Passport - travel issues

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Grandma
Newly Registered

British and Chinese Passport - travel issues

Post by Grandma » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:27 pm

We are applying for a British passport for our grandson for International School acceptance in China. He already has a Chinese passport with a Right of Abode. Does anyone know the consequences of using 2 passports for travelling in and out of China and is using a 3rd party country an option. Has anyone had experience of this?

Any advice would be appreciated

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British and Chinese Passport - travel issues

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:52 pm

China doesn't allow dual citizenship.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=does+china+ ... itizenship
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:58 pm

Grandma wrote:We are applying for a British passport for our grandson for International School acceptance in China. He already has a Chinese passport with a Right of Abode.
Also, he will not be able to renew his CoE-RoA.

Certificates for Right of Abode are only issued to people who do not have a British passport. If your grandson gets a British passport, he can not get a Right of Abode certificate in his new Chinese passport when his Chinese passport expires.

Also see: When can't a CoE-RoA be issued
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Grandma
Newly Registered

Post by Grandma » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:02 pm

Thank you for your replies so far.

So, once his Chinese passport expires and he gets a new one without the Right of Abode, could he possibly travel out of China via Hong Kong on his Chinese passport and then fly to Britain from Hong Kong on his British passport?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:08 pm

He cannot hold two passports for two different countries as far as I am aware.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:55 pm

From the British law point of view, there is no problem with him holding as many passports as he wants, so long as he meets the requirements.

It is however Chinese law that has different requirements.

Why do you want him to have a British passport when he already has a CoE-RoA in his Chinese passport?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Grandma
Newly Registered

Post by Grandma » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:42 am

He needs a British Passport to allow him to attend an International School in China

Davidinchina
Newly Registered

Post by Davidinchina » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:39 am

I'm in a similar position with my son who attends an International School in Shanghai and holds a Chinese and a UK passport. He had a ROA certificate in his old, now expired, Chinese passport which expired with the passport. He was given it because he held the UK passport but I understand that in future this will not be possible, he cannot have a new ROA unless he hands in his UK passport. He would still have UK citizenship and could apply for a new passport in future. However we don't want to go down this route.

So for the moment he must fly via a third country to go to the UK. Luckily he holds a multi visit schengen visa so can fly to say Amsterdam, go through immigration then re-enter the airport using his UK passport on a ticket to London using his English not Chinese name. Coming back is the same in reverse so that his Chinese passport shows entry and exit stamps for Holland.
He cannot go via Hong Kong, as asked above, as the same passport must be used to enter and leave.
It's been suggested he could get an Irish visa which would allow him to transit through the UK to Dublin. He could just stop in the UK and not go to Dublin but that might cause problems for the return flight.
It's all very annoying but I don't know of any other solution whilst retaining both passports.

As to the original question, your grandson can travel back to China to join his school on his Chinese passport and can continue to use the ROA certificate to return to the UK until they expire. No need for China to know about his UK passport. However once the ROA expires you will have the same problem as I do. Hope the above is helpful.

Grandma
Newly Registered

Post by Grandma » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:21 am

Thank you for your advice, it is appreciated. I will pass this information on to my son.