ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

using Dutch 'option procedure' for citizenship

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

coolkeith
Newly Registered

using Dutch 'option procedure' for citizenship

Post by coolkeith » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:43 am

Hi - I'm a UK citizen with Dutch mother and non Dutch father born before 1985. I'd like to apply for Dutch citizenship in the UK (where I reside) using the option procedure, but I am unsure if I need to first have a Dutch residency permit.

I'm referencing these guidelines - https://ind.nl/en/dutch-citizenship/pages/option.aspx - but this one section has me confused (maybe its my translation):
Are you 18 years or older? And you have lived in the Netherlands with a valid residence permit from the age of 4. You are then required to renounce your nationality.
It says on the wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_nat ... #By_option- the option route does not require you to renounce your existing citizenship once you become Dutch, so that part maybe does not apply to me, but is that also the same for residency?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has gone through the option procedure for naturalizing Dutch in the same way as I plan to do.

mefinfrance
Newly Registered

Re: using Dutch 'option procedure' for citizenship

Post by mefinfrance » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:16 pm

I was naturalized by option in 2013. I began the process in New York and was naturalized in Cairo in 2014. The process was straightforward. Happy to answer any more questions you might have.