ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 Visa, 5-year cap help!

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vixie3
Newly Registered

Tier 4 Visa, 5-year cap help!

Post by vixie3 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:25 am

Hi everyone

I'm an Australian citizen currently studying in the UK with a Tier 4 Visa.
I was doing undergraduate MBBS for a year and then decided to drop out (after completing 1 year Sep 2012-June 2013) and switch to another degree course (4-year integrated masters). I am in my final year of this course (ends June 2017) and have applied for medicine again. I have been given an offer for a 4-year graduate MBBS course.

Can someone tell me if the 5-year degree cap applies to me? I don't understand it and am worried it will affect my entrance to the new MBBS degree. I saw that medicine is excluded in this cap but I'm unsure about my own case.

Any help is massively appreciated, thank you so much!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 Visa, 5-year cap help!

Post by sah10406 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm

vixie3 wrote:Can someone tell me if the 5-year degree cap applies to me? I don't understand it and am worried it will affect my entrance to the new MBBS degree. I saw that medicine is excluded in this cap but I'm unsure about my own case.
As you say, an application to study Medicine is exempt from any cap. See immigration rule 245ZX(ha)(iii)(2):

245ZX(ha) If the course is at degree level or above, the grant of leave to remain the applicant is seeking must not lead to the applicant having been granted more than 5 years in the UK as a Tier 4 (General) Migrant, or as a Student, to study courses at degree level or above unless:
(iii) the applicant is following a course of study in;
(2) Medicine;
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.