ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Checklist for 5 year settlement visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

UKFAMILYDREAM
Newly Registered

Checklist for 5 year settlement visa

Post by UKFAMILYDREAM » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi,

I am British and 4 months ago my Thai wife, our 4 year old British daughter and I moved from Thailand back to my hometown in the UK. I had secured a permanent job in the UK earning £22000 annually and my wife came into the country on a 6 month visit visa. My job started 8 days after my wife arrived in the UK. She will leave the UK at the end of February and she will them make an application for the settlement visa (after my 6th monthly payslip is forwarded to her). She will apply from Bangkok, Thailand. What is the exact name of the visa we have to apply for next, is it the 5 year settlement visa route? Could someone help provide a checklist of required evidence, paperwork and fees for this route? Am I right in thinking that an IELTS/Trinity English certificate is required, as well as a TB test? Does my wife need to complete the Life in Britain test at this point? Apart from evidence of 6 months earning over £18,600 is there further financial criteria to pass?

Your help and assistance would be greatly received and appreciated.

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Checklist for 5 year settlement visa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:24 pm

UKFAMILYDREAM wrote:What is the exact name of the visa we have to apply for next, is it the 5 year settlement visa route? Spouse settlement visa - form VAF4A and Appendix 2 is required to be completed. First visa will be for 33 months (visa in passport will be for 30 days and she must enter the UK within this time and collect her biometric residence permit from the nominated Post Office within 10 days of arriving) and shortly before reaching 2.5 years residence in the UK, she applies for an extension, meeting ALL the same requirements again.

Could someone help provide a checklist of required evidence, paperwork and fees for this route? Fee is £1195 PLUS the immigration health surcharge of £600. Read the form and guidance notes, they are quite comprehensive and if still unsure, ask for clarity. See also Apply to Join Family Living in the UK (click)

Am I right in thinking that an IELTS/Trinity English certificate is required, as well as a TB test? Yes. English test MUST be from an HO approved test provider.

Does my wife need to complete the Life in Britain test at this point? No, not required at this stage.

Apart from evidence of 6 months earning over £18,600 is there further financial criteria to pass? No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:33 pm

UKFAMILYDREAM wrote:Hi,

I am British and 4 months ago my Thai wife, our 4 year old British daughter and I moved from Thailand back to my hometown in the UK. I had secured a permanent job in the UK earning £22000 annually and my wife came into the country on a 6 month visit visa. My job started 8 days after my wife arrived in the UK. She will leave the UK at the end of February and she will them make an application for the settlement visa (after my 6th monthly payslip is forwarded to her). She will apply from Bangkok, Thailand. What is the exact name of the visa we have to apply for next, is it the 5 year settlement visa route? Could someone help provide a checklist of required evidence, paperwork and fees for this route? Am I right in thinking that an IELTS/Trinity English certificate is required, as well as a TB test? Does my wife need to complete the Life in Britain test at this point? Apart from evidence of 6 months earning over £18,600 is there further financial criteria to pass?

Your help and assistance would be greatly received and appreciated.

Thanks.
Your wife will be issued with a 2.5 year settlement visa, after which she will have to apply for a 2.5 year FLR(M) extension. At the end of the 5 year period she will qualify for ILR (permanent settlement).
A spouse settlement visa is currently £1195 + £600 NHS surcharge.

As the sponsor you will have to submit 6 months payslips + the corresponding 6 months bank statements. The most recent must be no older than 28 days prior to submitting the application.
Also required, proof of adequate accommodation in the UK, evidence of a genuine relationship (marriage cert, proof of contact etc), TB and A1 level English.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... n/overview

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-thailand

Edit: Beaten as usual by Miss Speedier Fingers, CR001
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

UKFAMILYDREAM
Newly Registered

English Test for 5 year settlement route visa

Post by UKFAMILYDREAM » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:57 am

Hi,

Could someone recommend which English exam to take for the settlement visa (5 year route). I gather it must be IELTS or Trinity - both cost £150. Are there any more cost effective tests that are accepted? Am I right in thinking that for the initial 30 months English proficiency must be at least at A2 and then the second 30 months at B1 followed by a more advanced level for permanent residency?

Thanks in advance!

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:10 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:19 am

At present:
A1 for spouse visa
A2 for extension FLR(M) from 1 May 2017
B1 for Settlement SET(M).

If she is good at English, then take B1.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: English Test for 5 year settlement route visa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:11 am

UKFAMILYDREAM wrote:Hi,

Could someone recommend which English exam to take for the settlement visa (5 year route). I gather it must be IELTS or Trinity - both cost £150. Are there any more cost effective tests that are accepted? Am I right in thinking that for the initial 30 months English proficiency must be at least at A2 and then the second 30 months at B1 followed by a more advanced level for permanent residency?

Thanks in advance!
She must do a test from a test provider that is on UKVI's approved list. Any other test or cheaper test and the application will be refused.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

UKFAMILYDREAM
Newly Registered

Post by UKFAMILYDREAM » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks!

UKFAMILYDREAM
Newly Registered

Post by UKFAMILYDREAM » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:19 am

We are currently compiling evidence for the VAF4A spouse settlement visa, does anyone have a checklist of what paperwork to include covering accommodation, sponsorship information and invitation, funds, English proficiency, TB test etc?

I would also like to ask if the application form should be printed out or submitted online?

Thanks

UKFAMILYDREAM
Newly Registered

Spouse visa VAF4A and Appendix 2 query

Post by UKFAMILYDREAM » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:43 pm

Hello.

My wife will be leaving the UK back to Thailand in order to apply for the Spouse Visa (VAF4A and Appendix 2). I have some queries and would be grateful for your advice:

1) Can she get the TB test done in the UK, if so where? Or would you recommend getting it done in Thailand?

2) Apart from: 6 months bank statements, 6 months payslips showing +£18,600 annual salary, marriage cert, wife's passport, my passport photocopied (as sponsor), our daughter's Thai and British passport photocopied, proof of accommodation, TB test, English B1 cert, cover letter, pictures/evidence of genuine relationship - will we be required to supply further proof/paperwork? Do all the certificates have to be originals? Suggestions about what to include as proof of genuine relationship?

3) If my parents are supplying the accommodation, should I include their details as well and make that clear on the cover letter?

4) Naive question, but when my wife actually makes the visa application from Thailand will it be online or a paper form submitted in person?

Many thanks in advance.